Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: New Here - Need and education on gun ownership!

Quote Originally Posted by tdemers View Post
    Hello,

Over the past few years, certain things that have happened in my community, have had me thinking about getting myself and my husband as well, a hand gun. My experience with guns is very limited. The most I have ever done is shoot my father in law's hunting guns at targets, skeet etc. Extremely good time, I always enjoyed it. What I am really looking for now is a gun to protect my family. Mostly when we are home (tons of home invasions lately) and also while my family is hiking (Big Pocono and the like). Also, when I am at my office alone. I don't intend to carry the gun for my normal day to day duties (not yet anyway!). I have concerns and questions and I was hoping I could get some guidance and just where I should start with this whole process.

Also, where do I find the laws regarding having to use my gun in a self defense situation? For example: If my family and I are confronted on a trail at Big Pocono with either say a Bear or a human attacker...at what point would I be able to shoot or possible kill, without getting myself in trouble? If we where at home and someone enters my home, at what point could I use my gun to protect my family without getting myself into trouble? Obviously, knowing "when" to to use the gun is as important as "how" to use the gun. How to I find out "when" I can use my gun?

Since I have never used a hand gun before, should I be looking at taking a safety and use class BEFORE I apply for the permit to carry the weapon and purchase a gun? Or should I be applying to carry and purchasing a gun, then going to a class? What is the proper order of things? I certainly don't want to be an uneducated gun owner.

The safety of my family is of utmost importance. I am thinking that I would like to store the gun under my bed with one of those biometric safes. Are these 100% secure? I am thinking the best approach would be to let my children know it is there and educate them on the dangers of "playing" with a gun and letting them know that they are not to try to access under any condition...or should I just put it there and not mention it...they would most likely never find it? I am thinking it would be better to let them know its there. This is the biggest concern that I have about having a gun. I would like to hear success stories and methods of storage from parents who have a gun in the house. Obviously, I would want it loaded in the event of a break in in the middle of the night, right? The thought of having a loaded gun in the house scares me. We have a bunch of handed down hunting guns locked up, but there is not any ammo on my property, so I feel safe about having them here.

The last thing I am wondering is if someone could give me suggestions on what a good hand gun would be for me? I have not a clue where to start on that one!

Well, I thank you in advance for your help. I look forward to hearing what you have to say and learn all I can about the proper way to own and carry a gun.

Tammy
    Welcome to the forum.

It's unfortunate that you are faced with the thought of having to defend your family as a result in rising crime, but it sounds like you are going about it the right way, and even more importantly, are taking responsibility for your families safety, as opposed to expecting someone else to do that for you.

We went through a similar situation several years back. Crime was on the rise and after speaking to my wife, she was interested in learning to shoot, and wanted a means to defend herself in the event that something happened while I was not there. I had been around firearms since I was a small child, while she had no experience with them at all. I took her to a range that rents handguns, and with the assistance of the gentleman working there, taught her the basics, and they allowed her to shoot a variety of models.

Finding a handgun that works best for you, is best done by you. You will get many suggestions, but bear in mind, that you are the deciding factor. At least you are doing this, as opposed to your husband posting, and asking "What gun should I get for my wife?" There are some generalized suggestions for folks who are new to shooting, and many people have determined that "x" handgun is the "best" for a woman, but they are not always right. It was suggested that my wife get a revolver, as they are "easy" to operate. I don't have time to go into detail, but that was not the case for her, and we ended up with a Glock (G19) in 9mm.

Apply for your LTCF, seek a basic handgun course for both yourself AND your husband, and search the web for safes like the one you mentioned.
    Depending on the instructor, you may or may not need to have your own handgun for a class - some can supply one, but it would be more comfortable to use one of your choosing. You may or may not want to attend the class at the same time as your husband. Some feel more comfortable that way, but some feel more pressure as a result of a spouse being there. Let the instructor teach each of you.

I wish I had more time, but I have to run... again, welcome, and don't hesitate to ask questions.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Centre County)

Post deleted by poster, as I am, doing to almost all my posts.
    Last edited by TheF00L; April 13th, 2010 at 07:28 AM.

(Monroe County)

Welcome to the forum and PLEASE if you're able make the meet and greet at billys pocono diner this saturday 2/6 at 11am. It's much easier to ask questions and have them answered in person and there will be about 2 dozen knowledgeable gun owners there to help you out!!
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Monroe County)

I received my PA temporary drivers license today... is that sufficient to purchase guns and rifles in PA? Is there anything else I must do in order to make a legal gun purchase. I am already planning on taking a gun safety course. Thanks in advance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12