Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: trigger reset

(Allegheny County)

Default trigger reset

This is a topic often not known by new shooters. And I had thought I had it down........ until recently

To be brief for those who do not know. If you press the trigger completely to the rear, let the gun recoil and recock, then ease forward the spot where the trigger is ready to fire again (as it resets). On a GLOCK the reset point is particularly distinct as it makes an audible click.

I was taught/trained to press the trigger, follow through completly to the rear, allow the gun to recoil, let the sights come back down on target, and then ease to the reset, repeat as needed.

I am now learning that I can shoot just as accurately, but faster, if I reset DURING recoil. Its not easy to break the old habit, but Im getting there.

I recently read a Vickers AAR where apparently LAV teaches the reset during recoil to new shooters. I had thought that maybe getting to where I am now is a function of where I have come from. But now I am wondering why I couldnt have learned this first? I had thought maybe this was too advanced for the new guy, too technical, too fast, too precise, but that may just not be true.

how do you reset ?

who trains how?

personal experiance ?

drills to help ?
    (Thinking bill drill may be most appropriate)

any pros vs. cons ?

really I cant think of any cons. after the sights have lifted up, and bullet has left the bbl, waiting for the sights to come back down is just wasted time.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: trigger reset

My only formal pistol training taught to reset after the recoil. I'm guessing I learned it from the same place as you did.

The only reason that I can think of off the top of my head is this. It might be too much for a new shooter to grasp, or put differently it makes learning the whole process easier if it's done after recoil. New shooters have so much to think about .. grip, sight picture, stance, trigger reset, etc.

Not sure if that's the reason behind it or not, but makes sense to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

in competition, you have to reset the trigger in recoil. I practice a lot so i can get the trigger reset, ready for another pull, and do it the INSTANT the sights get back on target.

it's the only way to get sub 0.5 splits. also helps in transitioning between targets if you can just wait for that front site to brush the next target and pull.

although riding the trigger too hard can cause a high second shot, since you are still in recoil... takes some getting used to.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by steviesterno View Post
    in competition, you have to reset the trigger in recoil. I practice a lot so i can get the trigger reset, ready for another pull, and do it the INSTANT the sights get back on target.

it's the only way to get sub 0.5 splits. also helps in transitioning between targets if you can just wait for that front site to brush the next target and pull.

although riding the trigger too hard can cause a high second shot, since you are still in recoil... takes some getting used to.
    and the bold is exactly what Im working on.

(Allegheny County)

Releasing the trigger early upsets your follow through. If you're thinking about releasing the trigger immediately after the shot, you can wind up going "click" and releasing during the bang. That really screws up your shot. So bullseye shooters have it hammered into their heads to not release the trigger early. The people who'd really have a good handle on this are international rapid fire shooters.

Yeah, I'm not talking bull's eye stuff, I'm talking down and dirty, run and gun speed work. another trick to transition is actually cant the gun about 15-20 degrees towards your next target (not like a gangsta sideways hold). this allows your recoil to actually help move the gun to the next target, rather than trying to get your arms up to speed and slowing them down again. it's a bit weird, but makes a HUGE difference one handed, and helps a bunch holding freestyle.

(Monroe County)

I don't really spend to much time thinking about trigger resets during rapid fire. I have spent time building the muscle memory for where the reset point is. When the clock is running i don't think about resets or transitions. If you have time to think your not shooting fast enough. As far as splits go I shot a stage the was two bill drills starting at bad breath distance while retreating. So in 5.44 seconds i fired twelve shots and did a reload down 0 (10+1 for ssp). If you leave the reload out that makes .45 splits. Throw in the reload and who knows. All I can recall from shooting that stage was feeling like i was staring at the mag going into the gun at a bad angle for an eternity. It certainly wasn't one of my faster reloads. I think practicing trigger resets in slow fire to build the muscle memory works well for me. I try to just run the gun as fast as possible while staying on target. I'll have to see if i can move the time when i reset into the recoil stage.

(Lawrence County)

This is a killer drill to practice reset, reloads and a transition.

http://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/06-03.pdf

The key to a fast reset and follow up is to stay relaxed. Yeah, you are still gripping the gun, but you want a lack of mental tension. Try too hard and you get "trigger freeze" where you don't allow enough reset and double pump the trigger. You are looking for consistent splits.......and then work your way down to say.... about .20 or below.

Grip it....rip it.....and just hammer. Yeah, watch the sights, but don't get all bent if you throw a shot out of the A zone. You're just working on getting your mind to figure out the fast reset.

Wanna learn reset? Go fast. You'll figure out what works pretty much automatically.

Lycanonethingatatimethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.