Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default First time shooting with my son

Nothing like a rain day, I took my 7 year old son shooting for the first time. Am I ever proud, he did great followed all the rules and hit the target. (22 cal rifle) He started using that bolt action like a pro, I hope to slowly get him up to more powerful guns in the next year. I usually have zero faith in the future but every now and then I see somthing that gives me hope. This was one of those times. It looks at though the next generation has a chance. As long as more parents get the kids involved in shooting.

This was a proud moment so I thought I would post it.

Calvin

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: First time shooting with my son

Thanks for sharing!
    Good job.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Westmoreland County)

Good Job & Congrats!

Remember...if you don't teach him, who will? His friends? Hollywood? Tyrone the gang leader? Gun safety starts at home!

(Berks County)

Good work, Calvin. I can't wait until I feel my son is old enough and ready to take him out shooting for the first time.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Allegheny County)

Congrats Calvin and may you have many more.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    Nothing like a rain day, I took my 7 year old son shooting for the first time. Am I ever proud, he did great followed all the rules and hit the target. (22 cal rifle) He started using that bolt action like a pro, I hope to slowly get him up to more powerful guns in the next year. I usually have zero faith in the future but every now and then I see somthing that gives me hope. This was one of those times. It looks at though the next generation has a chance. As long as more parents get the kids involved in shooting.

This was a proud moment so I thought I would post it.

Calvin
    Since he's that young, you've got a lot of things you can do together, etc. Might I suggest the following. I didn't really have a father around when I was growing up and as I move into the whole adulthood thing, these are the things I wish my father taught me in no particular order.

Survival stuff. Get him into boy/cub scouts. He'll think it's gay when he gets older and that's not unusual but make sure he learns the important stuff about survival, camping, etc. Just the basic stuff.

Sports. Get him into a team sport like baseball or football or basketball. Wrestling a great complimentary sport but won't serve the purpose of becoming a team-member and hopefully, a team leader. Don't get me wrong, wrestling is great but doesn't provide as much cooperative play that another sport would. Teamwork is hugely important when in the job market. We can't all be assholes behind computer screens, you know? Some people are actually out there running the show.

Self Defense. Teaching him how to shoot is awesome! Teach him some basic self defense things like how to avoid a conflict in the first place, how to handle himself amongst his peers and how to kick ass if ass is deemed to be needing kicked. Some karate of some sort, etc.

Financial planning. Probably the most important thing ever for a person. Teach him basics of savings and act as much like a bank as possible. If he gets an allowance, have yourself act like a bank where he can deposit his money and receive interest. Make sure you followup on this sort of thing every week or so so he can see the progress he's making and making it sort of fun. If possible, setup some sort of investing type of thing to cover the differences between interest on balance in an account and how he could make more throgh investing, although more risky. Just try and role-play with him a bit so he has a better understanding instilled in him for when he gets older. If possible, make incentives to save. I don't think I'd go into the whole percentage of interest kind of thing at this age but if he can save his 5 dollar allowance for a month, he gets an extra dollar or something to reinforce good saving habits.

Sorry, this is a bit longer than I intended but at a glance these are a few of the things I really wish I had an opportunity to do with my father and they all would have helped make me a much better person. While my father was with me, all I got was the belt. Everything else I've had to pickup on my own or am still in the pursuit of.
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(York County)

[QUOTE=TheHighChild;95377]Since he's that young, you've got a lot of things you can do together, etc. Might I suggest the following. I didn't really have a father around when I was growing up and as I move into the whole adulthood thing, these are the things I wish my father taught me in no particular order.

Survival stuff. Get him into boy/cub scouts. He'll think it's gay when he gets older and that's not unusual but make sure he learns the important stuff about survival, camping, etc. Just the basic stuff.

Presently hiking goes along with this, knowing plants and animals is important. That is where we are now, My wife does alot of this part, as he gets older hunting and tracking comes in ( not my strong suit). I do have some friens and we will go together.

Sports. Get him into a team sport like baseball or football or basketball. Wrestling a great complimentary sport but won't serve the purpose of becoming a team-member and hopefully, a team leader. Don't get me wrong, wrestling is great but doesn't provide as much cooperative play that another sport would. Teamwork is hugely important when in the job market. We can't all be assholes behind computer screens, you know? Some people are actually out there running the show.

He is into soccer for now and we will see how that goes

Self Defense. Teaching him how to shoot is awesome! Teach him some basic self defense things like how to avoid a conflict in the first place, how to handle himself amongst his peers and how to kick ass if ass is deemed to be needing kicked. Some karate of some sort, etc.

Been talking with the wife on karate, will do when we feel ready.

Financial planning. Probably the most important thing ever for a person. Teach him basics of savings and act as much like a bank as possible. If he gets an allowance, have yourself act like a bank where he can deposit his money and receive interest. Make sure you followup on this sort of thing every week or so so he can see the progress he's making and making it sort of fun. If possible, setup some sort of investing type of thing to cover the differences between interest on balance in an account and how he could make more throgh investing, although more risky. Just try and role-play with him a bit so he has a better understanding instilled in him for when he gets older. If possible, make incentives to save. I don't think I'd go into the whole percentage of interest kind of thing at this age but if he can save his 5 dollar allowance for a month, he gets an extra dollar or something to reinforce good saving habits.

Money, well that will come from the wife, I like to spend toooo much.

Sorry, this is a bit longer than I intended but at a glance these are a few of the things I really wish I had an opportunity to do with my father and they all would have helped make me a much better person. While my father was with me, all I got was the belt. Everything else I've had to pickup on my own or am still in the pursuit of.[/QUOTE

I had a fatherand mother who were to busy drinking when I was a kid, so I do know what can be missed. I refuse to make those mistakes. I have to divide my time up between 1 boy and 2 girls and they will all get the same type of lessons.( girls will get extra lessons from the wife about boys )
    Thanks for the ideas I try not to forget anything and comments like those help me not to forget.

(Westmoreland County)

Calvin,

Good Job - Stay Active with your Kids. It is one one the most important
    things you can do for them in life. I have three young girls,not sure how their mother will feel about me taking them out to the range when they are old enough.However I still will try & I will support them in the hobbies they do choose.

Stay close to them,
    Eric

NRA

American Infidel

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig... You dig.
    Clint Eastwood - The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly.