Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Bear Track

(Union County)

Default Bear Track

There doesn't seem to much interest in the hunting section on this site so in an attempt to create some.

During the 2004 Elk hunting season in Colorado, I ran across this track in the area that I was hunting for Elk and Mule deer.

I am sorry for the lousy picture, but I am not a photographer. For an idea of the size of the track the cartridge in the photo is a .375 H&H which is 3.6 inches long.

The what would you if you ran into a bear while....... is a popular thread...

So what would you have done, any estimates to the size of this monster, have fun.

I know what I did---I stayed in the area and hoped Briar Bear would push some elk or mule deer to me.

grizz
    Last edited by GRIZZLYBEAR; September 30th, 2006 at 06:28 AM. Reason: to add content

(Philadelphia County)

Are you sure you werent following your own tracks?

Im not that good at math, so I cant calculate the size, height or weight of the beast.

But I can tell you, if I ever run into one like that in the woods, I'd just shit my pants and hope you wouldnt miss your shot.

haha!
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

I would guess that would be one large bear based on it's print. If you had a 375 H&H and you ran into that bear...I'd say I hope you have a bear tag because you would own him. One day, I would like to go to AK and hunt brown bears.

I'd post more, but I need to prepare for Diego and Drak's visit to my place.

Default Big bear

There are many stories about what people would do if they met a bear and where not armed. Run down hill, Dont climb trees and roll up in the featus position... My personal favorite that i heard is run till you cant any more, then turn around and when the bear gets close to you, smear his nose with S*hit... Dont ask where it came from just know there will be plenty of it there.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Bear Track

I saw a nice black bear today on SGL 51. It's back would have been about hip high on me when it was on all fours.
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Carbon County)

Some folk are also totally oblivious of their surroundings. A friend of ours was biking (unarmed) on a State Park Trail when he got a flat he couldnt fix.. He was now walking his bike when he saw a bear emerge from the woods not 25 yards behind an older couple walking along TOTALLY oblivious to its presence!
    Fortunately, the bear went to the river to drink but now he was left with the problem of the bear between him and his car. He waited and waited, and waited....until he was darn sure the bear went back up the mountain!
    if you ever see my post edited...its most likely for speling :D
    "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges"-In Time of War the Law Falls Silent-Cicero
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"-If you want peace, prepare for war-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"America Starts Here!"-former PA state Slogan...until NJ complained and our wussy GovRendell changed it!

(Luzerne County)

I posted these over on the HuntingPA board. Found them while out geocaching on some SGL in Luzerne County.

(Dauphin County)

Talking Re: Bear Track

Anyone remeember that story about the PA hunter mauled last year..after shooting the bear?? Re-post the story and the some of the internet reation and I'll tell you my story (never posted)(as the next season soon begins) In the meantime..I'll try to find all my pics lost on this here contraption.