Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: S+W M29

(Philadelphia County)

Default S+W M29

So there wasn't much to see at the gun show at oaks yesterday,but I did find a near new looking model 29 5" for 650$ otd.Except for a very light line on the cyl.this is one pretty gun the blueing is perfect.
    I was wonding if someone here could tell me more about it?The ser.# is It aza31xx.It doesn't have a transfer bar so I'm guessing this is an older model[it came w/ a cardboard box].Sorry no pix at this time I can't find my camara.
    bw

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: S+W M29

looks like it was made some time in the first half of 1988.
    so i'm guessing it's either a 29-3E or a 29-4.
    650 isn't a bad price concidering the condition of the piece.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Lancaster County)

Harry Callahan knows about model 29s

A small problem is that S&W did not make 5" Model 29's then. Are you sure you are measuring the barrel correctly (from front of cylinder/beginning of barrel to the muzzle)? Should be either 4" or 6" but not 5".

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Oro View Post
    A small problem is that S&W did not make 5" Model 29's then. Are you sure you are measuring the barrel correctly (from front of cylinder/beginning of barrel to the muzzle)? Should be either 4" or 6" but not 5".
    It's probably a 6 incher. I'd way rather have a slightly used older model Smith, than a new version of the same model. No ugly, commie lock, and no MIM parts. I don't have a big problem with MIM parts, but given the choice, I'll take forged. I say get it.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks oro,measured that way it's about 5 3/4".Hey what was the length of dirty harry's M29?

The main one he used had a 6 1/2" barrel, and I think there were some shots with an 8 3/8" barrel. The 6 1/2" barrel was the "standard" mid-length barrel from introduction up until about 1978, then they standardized on 6". An 1/8" or a little bit on either side of those numbers was not uncommon because of machining and finishing techniques.

(Philadelphia County)

hey bentwrench nice find! you will not be disappointed. the gun in dirty harry is a 29-2 (pinned and recessed) 6 1/2". when you open your cylinder what is the dash # next to the model number? if it is a -3e this means it has the endurance package which means s&w added a little more to the 29s frame and cylinder for strength, apparently they were revieving alot of 29s with cylinder endshake etc.. from heavy loads. if it is -4 or later it will have the endurance package built in. is this your first .44 mag or older smith? have you shot the big bores in the past? if you would like i also live in the philly area and own a smith 629, i usually shoot at SPAG if you would wanna get together and shoot 'em together. with the pre endurance guns i would stick to 240gr and under loads to avoid any wear on the action. i owned and sold a 29-2 8 3/8th" recently and i miss it alot but the owner has offered visitation so i didn't lose it completely. have fun!
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.