Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default What records are kept when buying a rifle in PA?

I'm going to be in the market for an AR or AK soon, and I'm interested in what records are kept if buying one from an FFL. Does the dealer keep any records on who purchased the rifle? Is a private sale the only way to avoid a paper trail?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: What records are kept when buying a rifle in PA?

Quote Originally Posted by FCastle88 View Post
    I'm going to be in the market for an AR or AK soon, and I'm interested in what records are kept if buying one from an FFL. Does the dealer keep any records on who purchased the rifle?
    FFL retains federal form 4473 AND bound book log for 20 years minimum required by Fed law, or relinquishes to ATF for "storage" if they go out of business prior to 20 years.

Is a private sale the only way to avoid a paper trail?
    FTF and manufacturing your own rcvr.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    FFL retains federal form 4473 AND bound book log for 20 years minimum required by Fed law, or relinquishes to ATF for "storage" if they go out of business prior to 20 years.

FTF and manufacturing your own rcvr.
    I was afraid of that, a lefty AR isn't the easiest thing to find used and local lol.

(York County)

I was afraid of that, a lefty AR isn't the easiest thing to find used and local lol.
    Keep an eye out for a Stag AR. They make LH versions. You might search the PAFOA classifieds too or put a "Buy" ad there.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    Keep an eye out for a Stag AR. They make LH versions. You might search the PAFOA classifieds too or put a "Buy" ad there.
    I'm probably going to go with a stag, but the odds aren't exactly in my favor for finding the model I want for sale, left-handed, in good condition, for a good price, within say 50 miles...lol. I might have to look into buying a lower FTF then just buy a Stag left-handed upper.

(Philadelphia County)

Doesn't matter, just find a lower for sale locally and then you can buy a Stag lefty upper and have it shipped right to your home. The lower is the registered part and is the same whether it's built for a Stag lefty or not.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    Doesn't matter, just find a lower for sale locally and then you can buy a Stag lefty upper and have it shipped right to your home. The lower is the registered part and is the same whether it's built for a Stag lefty or not.

Good thinking
    , BUT...

I can't speak for the OP, but if I wanted "no paper trail", I wouldn't want one shipped to my home. Credit card, mailing address, etc... no thanks.

Of course, that's how I got my RRA kit - via mail, but if you want NO paper trail, (govt. or otherwise) ftf is the best route.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

IMHO, the lefties aren't worth the extra money and hassle.
    As a southpaw, I find the standard setup just fine, and plenty comfy. In the unlikely situation that I need the forward assist, I can use left thumb, or right hand without taking my hand off the grip. The only advantage of the lefty uppers that I see is the spent casings don't eject cross body, but everything else I shoot ejects cross body anyway. I installed an ambi-safety on mine,but I find myself using the standard side with my trigger finger anyway, and the ambi-switch just kinda digs into my thumb.
    Get whatever makes you happy, but I'd suggest at least trying a standard setup before springing for a lefty, if you haven't already.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Huggy View Post
    IMHO, the lefties aren't worth the extra money and hassle.
    As a southpaw, I find the standard setup just fine, and plenty comfy. In the unlikely situation that I need the forward assist, I can use left thumb, or right hand without taking my hand off the grip. The only advantage of the lefty uppers that I see is the spent casings don't eject cross body, but everything else I shoot ejects cross body anyway. I installed an ambi-safety on mine,but I find myself using the standard side with my trigger finger anyway, and the ambi-switch just kinda digs into my thumb.
    Get whatever makes you happy, but I'd suggest at least trying a standard setup before springing for a lefty, if you haven't already.
    I've never shot an AR, I have shot a couple of semi-auto .22s and I got a bunch of burning powder in my face and on my right forearm every time I shot them, so since AR's are one of the few semi-auto rifles that come in a left-handed version I figured I might as well go lefty.

(York County)

I've never shot an AR, I have shot a couple of semi-auto .22s and I got a bunch of burning powder in my face and on my right forearm every time I shot them, so since AR's are one of the few semi-auto rifles that come in a left-handed version I figured I might as well go lefty.
    Although I'm the guy who suggested looking for a Stag LH upper, I own a standard RRA Entry Tactical (right hand rifle).
    I shoot left handed due to A) Left eye dominance and B) A stroke resulted in lmited use of my right hand.
    As long as you have a deflector aft of the ejection port, you won't get hit by hot brass.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!