Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hanover, Pennsylvania
    (York County)
    Posts
    204
    Rep Power
    151

    Default What records are kept when buying a rifle in PA?

    I'm going to be in the market for an AR or AK soon, and I'm interested in what records are kept if buying one from an FFL. Does the dealer keep any records on who purchased the rifle? Is a private sale the only way to avoid a paper trail?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Mountain Top, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)
    Age
    48
    Posts
    11,946
    Rep Power
    453011

    Default Re: What records are kept when buying a rifle in PA?

    Quote Originally Posted by FCastle88 View Post
    I'm going to be in the market for an AR or AK soon, and I'm interested in what records are kept if buying one from an FFL. Does the dealer keep any records on who purchased the rifle?
    FFL retains federal form 4473 AND bound book log for 20 years minimum required by Fed law, or relinquishes to ATF for "storage" if they go out of business prior to 20 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by FCastle88 View Post
    Is a private sale the only way to avoid a paper trail?
    FTF and manufacturing your own rcvr.
    _________________________________________

    danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hanover, Pennsylvania
    (York County)
    Posts
    204
    Rep Power
    151

    Default Re: What records are kept when buying a rifle in PA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    FFL retains federal form 4473 AND bound book log for 20 years minimum required by Fed law, or relinquishes to ATF for "storage" if they go out of business prior to 20 years.



    FTF and manufacturing your own rcvr.
    I was afraid of that, a lefty AR isn't the easiest thing to find used and local lol.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Around, Pennsylvania
    (York County)
    Posts
    1,655
    Rep Power
    200

    Default Re: What records are kept when buying a rifle in PA?

    Quote Originally Posted by FCastle88 View Post
    I was afraid of that, a lefty AR isn't the easiest thing to find used and local lol.
    Keep an eye out for a Stag AR. They make LH versions. You might search the PAFOA classifieds too or put a "Buy" ad there.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hanover, Pennsylvania
    (York County)
    Posts
    204
    Rep Power
    151

    Default Re: What records are kept when buying a rifle in PA?

    Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    Keep an eye out for a Stag AR. They make LH versions. You might search the PAFOA classifieds too or put a "Buy" ad there.
    I'm probably going to go with a stag, but the odds aren't exactly in my favor for finding the model I want for sale, left-handed, in good condition, for a good price, within say 50 miles...lol. I might have to look into buying a lower FTF then just buy a Stag left-handed upper.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Posts
    1,483
    Rep Power
    1705

    Default Re: What records are kept when buying a rifle in PA?

    Quote Originally Posted by FCastle88 View Post
    I was afraid of that, a lefty AR isn't the easiest thing to find used and local lol.
    Doesn't matter, just find a lower for sale locally and then you can buy a Stag lefty upper and have it shipped right to your home. The lower is the registered part and is the same whether it's built for a Stag lefty or not.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    24,679
    Rep Power
    21474873

    Default Re: What records are kept when buying a rifle in PA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    Doesn't matter, just find a lower for sale locally and then you can buy a Stag lefty upper and have it shipped right to your home. The lower is the registered part and is the same whether it's built for a Stag lefty or not.

    Good thinking
    , BUT...

    I can't speak for the OP, but if I wanted "no paper trail", I wouldn't want one shipped to my home. Credit card, mailing address, etc... no thanks.

    Of course, that's how I got my RRA kit - via mail, but if you want NO paper trail, (govt. or otherwise) ftf is the best route.
    PAFOA GROUP SHOOT & BACON FEST! - Saturday June 15th - Click for info!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Harleysville, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    201
    Rep Power
    218

    Default Re: What records are kept when buying a rifle in PA?

    IMHO, the lefties aren't worth the extra money and hassle.
    As a southpaw, I find the standard setup just fine, and plenty comfy. In the unlikely situation that I need the forward assist, I can use left thumb, or right hand without taking my hand off the grip. The only advantage of the lefty uppers that I see is the spent casings don't eject cross body, but everything else I shoot ejects cross body anyway. I installed an ambi-safety on mine,but I find myself using the standard side with my trigger finger anyway, and the ambi-switch just kinda digs into my thumb.
    Get whatever makes you happy, but I'd suggest at least trying a standard setup before springing for a lefty, if you haven't already.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hanover, Pennsylvania
    (York County)
    Posts
    204
    Rep Power
    151

    Default Re: What records are kept when buying a rifle in PA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Huggy View Post
    IMHO, the lefties aren't worth the extra money and hassle.
    As a southpaw, I find the standard setup just fine, and plenty comfy. In the unlikely situation that I need the forward assist, I can use left thumb, or right hand without taking my hand off the grip. The only advantage of the lefty uppers that I see is the spent casings don't eject cross body, but everything else I shoot ejects cross body anyway. I installed an ambi-safety on mine,but I find myself using the standard side with my trigger finger anyway, and the ambi-switch just kinda digs into my thumb.
    Get whatever makes you happy, but I'd suggest at least trying a standard setup before springing for a lefty, if you haven't already.
    I've never shot an AR, I have shot a couple of semi-auto .22s and I got a bunch of burning powder in my face and on my right forearm every time I shot them, so since AR's are one of the few semi-auto rifles that come in a left-handed version I figured I might as well go lefty.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Around, Pennsylvania
    (York County)
    Posts
    1,655
    Rep Power
    200

    Default Re: What records are kept when buying a rifle in PA?

    Quote Originally Posted by FCastle88 View Post
    I've never shot an AR, I have shot a couple of semi-auto .22s and I got a bunch of burning powder in my face and on my right forearm every time I shot them, so since AR's are one of the few semi-auto rifles that come in a left-handed version I figured I might as well go lefty.
    Although I'm the guy who suggested looking for a Stag LH upper, I own a standard RRA Entry Tactical (right hand rifle).
    I shoot left handed due to A) Left eye dominance and B) A stroke resulted in lmited use of my right hand.
    As long as you have a deflector aft of the ejection port, you won't get hit by hot brass.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

Similar Threads

  1. buying a rifle from a guy in virginia - HELP
    By xXWildPonyXx in forum General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: July 9th, 2009, 04:06 PM
  2. Buying a used rifle?
    By terrible1 in forum General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: January 21st, 2009, 08:59 PM
  3. Buying My First Rifle
    By JohnDaniels2006 in forum General
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: January 15th, 2009, 09:28 PM
  4. Buying Rifle FTF, A question?
    By SuperCripple in forum General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 7th, 2007, 09:42 PM
  5. SS# on form when buying a rifle
    By djturnz in forum General
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: December 22nd, 2006, 06:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops