Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Thinking of using rifle for turkey season...

Arms & Ammunition:
    Fall Season: 1) Manually operated rifles and handguns, including rimfires; 2) Manually operated and autoloading shotguns limited to a 3-shell capacity in the chamber and magazine combined; 3) Muzzleloading shotguns, rifles and handguns; and 4) Long, recurve, compound bows or crossbows with broadheads of cutting edge design. Single projectile ammunition or shot no larger than No. 4 lead, bismuth-tin or tungsten-iron, and No. 2 steel. The fall seasons in WMUs 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 5C & 5D are limited to shotguns and long, recurve, compound bows or crossbows with broadheads of cutting edge design.

(Allegheny County)

I have been using a Ruger Single-Six in .22lr. I like it. Small game is fun with it too.
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

I've never tried this before, but always heard "urban legends" about it. Some people say it's true, and some people say that it doesn't work, but I think someone should give it a try. I very rarely get to hunt turkeys and it's the reason that I haven't tried this trick, plus I think it's a little unethical to me since I could make this shot from a VERY long ways away.

OK, so the "coffee can shot". Now I'm not sure if this would be legal in PA since there are regulations in some states about "baiting" animals, so please check the regulations or maybe someone else can help. Basically you take a coffee can or plastic container like a coffee can and put small gravel in it. Some people say if you're using a coffee can (the original), then do NOT fill the bucket full of gravel because some of it supposedly will richochette off of the sides of the bucket while the turkey's head is in it. Then you take some corn and sprinkle it on the top of the coffee can and back up. Wait for turkeys to start to feed on the bucket and wait until their heads are actually down in the bucket. Now you fire at the bucket with an expanding bullet, preferably moving very fast. Supposedly the expanding bullet delivers the kinetic energy to the rocks in the bucket and they take the turkey/s head/s off. IF someone gives this a shot and it works, let me know.

(Lawrence County)

Well, our forefathers used to "bark" squirrels with muzzleloading rifles by shooting below the rodent and killing it with wood fragments......so yeah, it would work.

But really, it's easier just to shoot the bird.

Lycanlongballshooterthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

LOL, we don't have squirrels here, so I wasn't aware of that. I guess I might have to do this on video, but with like 2 or 3 birds heads in a can at the same time, lol. Why ruin some parts of the bird when you can take 2 or 3 heads off with one shot and not ruin anything else? LOL, thanks for the verification Lycanthrope, you're always full of knowledge.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    LOL, we don't have squirrels here, so I wasn't aware of that. I guess I might have to do this on video, but with like 2 or 3 birds heads in a can at the same time, lol. Why ruin some parts of the bird when you can take 2 or 3 heads off with one shot and not ruin anything else? LOL, thanks for the verification Lycanthrope, you're always full of knowledge.
    Lycanfullofsomethingthrope as named by she who must be obeyed........

If you do it, film it and PM me...I appluade ingenuity.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12