Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Broken Screw Extraction

I snapped off one of two screws holding the front sight assembly to the barrel of my Remington 660 (in 6mm). I just inherited this gun from grandpa (who died in 96') and it has been basement dwelling since I was in first grade (I just graduated College last spring). The rust wasn't too bad but I had to strip it down to the barrel and trigger assembly to scrub it down with a wire brush. Anyway, in attempting to remove the sight from the base the forward screw snapped off just below the plane of the barrel. The other screw came out easy enough but there was some rust in the threads and it was a little tight. I'm soaking it in Hoppes and I just put some PB Blaster on it, hopefully that will penetrate well.

So, here is the question, is this something I should attempt at home or is it worth taking in to a gunsmith? I was thinking a small extractor bit on a power drill and lots of luck, drill in, back out and done. Am I overlooking anything?
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Broken Screw Extraction

If you have a drill press you can use an EZ out, but a power drill is kind of unstable.

I think it would cost very little from a local smith. Give them a call and ask.

Lycanhasapressthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by emsjeep View Post
    I

So, here is the question, is this something I should attempt at home or is it worth taking in to a gunsmith? I was thinking a small extractor bit on a power drill and lots of luck, drill in, back out and done. Am I overlooking anything?
    It would depend on your skill level. Being that they are a sight screw I would think they a pretty small. You would have to by an extractor and a an appropriate sized drill bit. And if the extraction does not go well you would need to buy a tap and an appropriate sized drill bit. Taking it to a smith is always an option. They already have the tools and experience to do the job. It would probably be cheaper then buying the tools you would use maybe once.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Lebanon County)

Unless you have the proper tools and skill level your best bet would be to spend a few $$ to make sure it's done right.
    It's a little screw in a shallow hole and you only have one chance at it.
    Even if I had the proper tools I'd still be favoring the gunsmith route even though I'm fairly confident in my abilities.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Yeah, their right. Even with excellent skills, without a press and vise your gambling on the low odds as a DIY job. If you ever run into this again pre-spray with WD-40 and heat up the part, then let it cool down again. Hairdryer kind of heat, not a flame. The heating and cooling expansion and contraction help break a bond between metals.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Bucks County)

I remove snapped off screws pretty regularly. I use a milling machine and carbide drill bits to drill them out.

If you can't find someone in your area to remove it, feel free to bring or send it to me. The cost of shipping to and from might exceed the cost of the work- it's 20.00 to remove a stuck/ snapped off screw.

(Bucks County)

I have the skills required and learned over 20yrs as a journeyman Toolmaker ans the thought of dealing with a screw that small gives me pause.

Thanks guys. I'm going to see if I can get it out without a drill. I'm not going to risk the threads, if it doesn't come out simply its going in to a shop.

No dice...I'll soak it overnight in some PB blaster and then take it to a local shop.

Thanks again...
    Last edited by emsjeep; January 31st, 2010 at 07:19 PM.
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

This question is for cdi and RBW. Is there any reason the screw shoudn't be drilled out, the new hole tapped and a very carefully measured screw put back in? I realize the new screw has to be precise, I'd guess within a few 1000ths short of the barrel inner wall. And the new screw would be slightly wider as well. If done correctly it seems to my non-gunsmith, non-machinist mind that this would work.

To the OP, I didn't make this suggestion previously because I didn't want to put an idea in your head until members with better knowledge and experience brought forth their superior abilities and advice.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    This question is for cdi and RBW. Is there any reason the screw shoudn't be drilled out, the new hole tapped and a very carefully measured screw put back in? I realize the new screw has to be precise, I'd guess within a few 1000ths short of the barrel inner wall. And the new screw would be slightly wider as well. If done correctly it seems to my non-gunsmith, non-machinist mind that this would work.

To the OP, I didn't make this suggestion previously because I didn't want to put an idea in your head until members with better knowledge and experience brought forth their superior abilities and advice.
    For one, I don't want it to look like a hack and tap job. It is a moderately rare firearm. Its not just a matter of function.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast