Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Loading .38 Spcl with HP38 Cowboy

Got a deal on a box of .38 Copper Clad HP 157 Gr. Bullets. Have a lb. of HP38and I have some time so I thought I would load them up for my Revolvers for warmer weather.

Haven't used the Copper Clad before but I thought that a load of about 3.5 Gr. of HP38 should give me a fair load for punching some paper to tune up a bit.

Normally I would cast some 157 FN Wad cutters but its been a bit cold outside, and I wont Cast indoors.

Question does 3.5 Gr of HP38 seem like a fair load? I keep hearing about a cowboy load using less powder? What the hell is a cowboy load and is it worthwhile to cut a load down to 3.0 gr. to save a little powder?

Is this safe and does it effect accuracy?

Thanks,
    Eddie O

Default Re: Loading .38 Spcl with HP38 Cowboy

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie O View Post
    What the hell is a cowboy load ....Is this safe and does it effect accuracy?
    Eddie:

A cowboy load is one used in the game of Cowboy Action Shooting - kind of like IDPA or IPSC from the 1870's. Rounds originally chambered in Colt SAA or S&W Schofields and other guns of the era, cast lead bullets and low recoil are the order of the day.

Can't help you specifically with your HP38 question, but generally, you never want to go less than the mfg's suggested starting load. As for accuracy, that is dependent on the individual firearm - what shoots well in one, may not in another - even of the same make and model. Good luck & have fun. Be safe.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

General rule of thumb for loads for copper clad or plated bullets should be loads somewhere between cast bullets and jacketed bullets for the same bullet weight.

I don't know what reloading manual or manuals you use, quick reference is to check out Hodgdons website for cartridge loads.....it looks like 3.5gr is a good middle place to start from their data.

Link to Hodgdon website: http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Click on cartridge loads and go from there.

I have had pretty good results with Berry's plated bullets myself. Can't beat the price for plinking, and I have been able to work up some decent and relatively accurate loads with them.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Lackawanna County)

Question does 3.5 Gr of HP38 seem like a fair load? I keep hearing about a cowboy load using less powder? What the hell is a cowboy load and is it worthwhile to cut a load down to 3.0 gr. to save a little powder?

Is this safe and does it effect accuracy?
    My advice is: go with 3.1gr. of HP38 as a 'minimum' load (as this is the lightest load actually listed by Hodgdon for 158gr.).

That said, The difference between 3.0 and 3.1 is ridiculously small to be worried about 'danger' - or 'savings' from using less powder either, for that matter. I seriously doubt that there is any 'danger' in a 3.0gr. load with HP38 for your 157gr. bullets (especially if you are using Winchester small pistol primers). Personally, *I* would want a lot more 'umph' than that, but 3.0gr./3.1gr. should make a good 'powder puff' plinking load.

3.0gr./3.1gr. of HP38 under a 157gr. bullet, using decent brass with (CCI, Federal, Winchester or Wolf) standard small pistol primers, should make for an outstandingly accurate round.
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

Thumbs up Re: Loading .38 Spcl with HP38 Cowboy

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    Eddie:

A cowboy load is one used in the game of Cowboy Action Shooting - kind of like IDPA or IPSC from the 1870's. Rounds originally chambered in Colt SAA or S&W Schofields and other guns of the era, cast lead bullets and low recoil are the order of the day.

Can't help you specifically with your HP38 question, but generally, you never want to go less than the mfg's suggested starting load. As for accuracy, that is dependent on the individual firearm - what shoots well in one, may not in another - even of the same make and model. Good luck & have fun. Be safe.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    Thanks, I had always thought about a cowboy load as being similar to the Ammo at places like Fronter Town where they do reenactment shows and trick shooting demonstrations. But it looked like they were using Black Powder to load from all the smoke, a lot like my .44 Navy Cap And Ball.

I think I will go with my original plan of using 3.5 Gr of HP38 in my .38 Loads. Seems like a good mid-range load to start with.

Thanks to all, looks like I need to do some more reading about "Cowboy", not many Cowboys in Maryland.

Thanks to all,
    Eddie O

(Lackawanna County)

, not many Cowboys in Maryland.
    You'd be surprised. Really.

There are web sites and forums on the Internet dedicated to the 'sport' of CAS (Cowboy Action Shooting) if you care to look for them.
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

Cool Re: Loading .38 Spcl with HP38 Cowboy

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    You'd be surprised. Really.

There are web sites and forums on the Internet dedicated to the 'sport' of CAS (Cowboy Action Shooting) if you care to look for them.
    Did not know that, never too old to learn something new, I'll do a little searching and take a look. Not a cold weather shooter, mostly a family activity at the North East Range during nice weather, gives me some reading time in the Winter.

By the way I was a Police Sergeant in Baltimore for 40 years where several of my targets were shooting back.

Guess that makes me somewhat of a modern day "Gun Slinger", Think I like that. Maybe I need to change my Tag?

Thanks,
    Eddie O

(Susquehanna County)

Thanks, I had always thought about a cowboy load as being similar to the Ammo at places like Fronter Town where they do reenactment shows and trick shooting demonstrations. But it looked like they were using Black Powder to load from all the smoke, a lot like my .44 Navy Cap And Ball.

I think I will go with my original plan of using 3.5 Gr of HP38 in my .38 Loads. Seems like a good mid-range load to start with.

Thanks to all, looks like I need to do some more reading about "Cowboy", not many Cowboys in Maryland.

Thanks to all,
    Eddie O
    Here's what it says from the "horse's mouth":

SINGLE ACTION SHOOTING SOCIETY
    Shooters Handbook
    ~12~
    Copyright © Single Action Shooting Society, Inc 2010
    Sixteenth Edition
    AMMUNITION
    The minimum standard for center-fire smokeless ammunition used in all SASS matches State, Regional, National, International, and World Championship Competitions is not less than a minimum power factor of 60 and no velocity may be less than 400 fps. The maximum velocity standard for revolvers is 1000 fps.
    See the SASS Shooter's Handbook at: http://sassnet.com/Downloads/RO/SASS...ok-16-2010.pdf

and visit the SASS website at: http://www.sassnet.com/index.php

You'll be just fine with your planned load of HP-38.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".