Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default opinions of bell and carleson medallist stocks?

thinking about buying one of these as an upgrade for my rec 700 .308 that started life as a sps varmint would also be open to other stocks of similar price.

Default Re: opinions of bell and carleson medallist stocks?

The Bell & Carlson medalist line is top notch. In terms of construction and finish, they are pretty much identical to HS Precision. HS Precision stocks used to be priced where Bell & Carlson stocks are now, but then they got "proud" after some contracts, and now their prices are sky high. They're not as light as McMillans and Manners stocks, but they're 1/3 the price. They have a full length bedding block that runs the entire length of the stock, except maybe the last 1 1/2 or 2" in the foreend. They have a decent recoil pad, double sling studs in the front for a bipod and strap.

I have held and shot a LOT of different stocks, and for the money, I don't think you can get a better stock than the Bell & Carlson medalist line. Choate same out with a new stock (NOT the ultimate sniper or varminter), but a different one that looks like the Bell & Carlson. It's the only stock that is on the same level for the same price. The sling studs are on the side, kind of a cheap "flush cup" sort of thing. I didn't think the finish on the Choate was quite as nice, but they're still a rock solid stock, with a slightly different profile. I'd say that you should check out both of those stocks, if you like one of them, don't even look at others unless you plan on spending a lot more money. They're rock solid, repeatable, and won't let you down.

how are the b&c medalist stocks textured? is it like a hogue or just like a smooth normal cheap black synthetic feel? the one i want is the tan one with black web. its a medalist varmint contour

(Warren County)

I've got one for my savage 110. I wouldn't call the finish smooth. I like the weight, I haven't looked at the numbers but my calibrated hands would call it it a few oz more than the cheap wood stock that came on it. I had to do a bit of fitting around the bolt. Once the barrel was completely snugged down, the bolt wouldn't close smoothly. couple minutes with the dremel clearanced it. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, I've still got to pull it back apart to duracoat the barrel. the cheap bluing isn't holding up. It's my primary hunting rifle and the weather has taken it's toll on it.

do they have more of a rubber or more of a plastic feel? i just ordered one

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by AR-15 Outlaw View Post
    I wouldn't call it a rubber feel. I guess if I had to classify it it would be more toward the plastic

Quote Originally Posted by AR-15 Outlaw View Post
    They are not like the hogue overmolded stocks. As far as I know, Hogue is the only person that makes a "soft feeling" stock like that. Hold a McMillan, Manners, KMW, HS Precision, Bell & Carlson, NONE of them feel soft, they all feel like the "cheap plastic". They do have a slight texture to them though, there are little parts raised up that give a bit of grip to them. Anyway, I don't think you'll regret getting one, they're good solid stocks. It's funny that you say "cheap plastic" feel, because typically the Hogue overmolded stocks on Remingtons are what is cheap and flexible. Best of luck. Oh and when you drop in your action, make sure to read the instructions about the bottom metal and make sure that it sits flush and properly on the stock. Otherwise you may have some feeding problems or it'll look "half ass".

(Union County)

Arrow Re: opinions of bell and carleson medallist stocks?

I just sold my B&C and bought a HS. I thought the quality of the B&C was fantastic but the shape of the fore end on the vertical grip model was a bit too big & square for my liking. The vertical grip however is AWESOME. The height of the comb is perfect for a low mounted scope w/o needing a cheekpiece/riser and the recoil pad was a Pachmeyer Decelerator. Never shot it before I sold it though. loving this HS too FWIW. The HS seems a little more ...rigid i guess. The B&C has a "softer" shell/finish to the exterior. This HS seems a bit "harder". If you have an X-mark trigger, you may have to relieve the stock a bit in the trigger area....the safety mechanism binds against the stock and causes the barreled action to sit cockeyed. Little Dremel action and you are all set. Picts when you get it! I will probably go w/ one on my L/A 700 build in a year or so... perfect for bench/bags longrange shooting.