Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Man with HIV needle // shoot or not?

Any of you guys see the news story/video around Lancaster the last few days about a guy holding up stores with a needle, saying he had HIV, and threatening to stick people if they didn't comply? I think they caught the guy, but it brought up an interesting scenario.

In that situation, does someone with a needle, within 21ft of you (on the video, BG was within arms' reach of the person), claiming to have HIV and threatening to stick you (or someone else) constitute justification for lethal force? Duty to retreat?

I would lean towards considering that as an imminent and capable threat with intent to do serious bodily harm. What do you guys think?

Alchemist77

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Man with HIV needle // shoot or not?

Same thing happened a few years ago in South Williamsport but the clerk at the Unimart refused to give him anything.

Still thinking on shoot or no shoot.... I get back to that.
    “It's not a gun control problem; it's a cultural control problem.” Bob Barr

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun." Arnold Schwarzenegger

(Westmoreland County)

Just my opinion. If that happened to me and a shot could safely be made I would take it. Im sure alot of sh!t would fly over this but like I said it would be my first instict. Id rather go through the court system than suffer with aids. If im not mistaken if even a person who knowingly has aids gives it to an unknowing person on purpose couldnt that be criminally negligent homicide or attempted homicide?

is he a threat? yes
    do i have a means of safe retreat? if no the shoot, if yes then no

(Indiana County)

If you're a business owner (or employee/associate/flunky/whatever) and it's your business, there's no duty to retreat.

The perp has put you in fear for your life, so the law
    (Title 18, §505) states you can use whatever means necessary, including deadly force, to eliminate the threat.

I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist77 View Post
    Any of you guys see the news story/video around Lancaster the last few days about a guy holding up stores with a needle, saying he had HIV, and threatening to stick people if they didn't comply? I think they caught the guy, but it brought up an interesting scenario.

In that situation, does someone with a needle, within 21ft of you (on the video, BG was within arms' reach of the person), claiming to have HIV and threatening to stick you (or someone else) constitute justification for lethal force? Duty to retreat?

I would lean towards considering that as an imminent and capable threat with intent to do serious bodily harm. What do you guys think?

Alchemist77
    i believe that the needle itself presents a dealy threat, even without HIV as a factor. that needle can puncture a vital organ, or an artery. a syringe is fully capable of killing someone.

so, with that in mind, i believe that someone waving a syringe at me would require a lethal response, especially if there was an unidentified fluid in it. any maniac who'd stick me with a needle would stick me with a knife; wither way, i'm shooting.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    i believe that the needle itself presents a dealy threat, even without HIV as a factor. that needle can puncture a vital organ, or an artery. a syringe is fully capable of killing someone.

so, with that in mind, i believe that someone waving a syringe at me would require a lethal response, especially if there was an unidentified fluid in it. any maniac who'd stick me with a needle would stick me with a knife; wither way, i'm shooting.
    An empty needle can, if I recall correctly from my days as a medic, cause a pulmonary embolism. Basically an air bubble that kills you. So, yeah, an empty needle is a deadly threat situation and that = dead perp.

(Monroe County)

Didn't we already discuss this a couple months ago?

HIV is not the death sentence that it used to be. However, contracting HIV/AIDS would prevent me from having my own family, whic is something my wife and I want to do. Whatever the consequences, I will certainly NOT allow some whack job with a needle destroy my future.
    Everyone should have an AK-47

(Northampton County)

All im gonna say is boom he's DEAD. I rather fight it out in court,then fight for my life with aids. easy answer.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast