Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northumberland County)

Default Converting a 9mm Tokarev to fire 7.62X25?

After several years of speculating about one of my dad's handguns, I've finally concluded that it is a Chinese Tokarev variant, but in the 9mm flavor. Ordinarily, I'd say that's a huge benefit; the ammo is still fairly plentiful and cheap. Upon realizing that surplus 7.62x25 ammo costs about half as much as 9mm, however, I started wondering if I could convert the gun back to its original caliber. I've read a little about the different variants of the Tokarev, and how some of them are 9mm only. I've also read both here and elsewhere about shooters converting their Toks from 7.62x25 to 9mm. What I can't seem to find though, is much information concerning the 'reconversion' back to 7.62x25.

Both the slide and barrel of the gun have "9mm" stamped on them. The slide also says that it is a TU-90 model and was made in China. The ejection port is approximately 1.25" long, the slide is approx. 7.5", and the barrel appears to be about 4.5" long. The mag well does not appear to have been modified with the 9mm conversion piece that I've read about. Likewise, I believe the magazines may actually still be the original 7.62x25 magazines. They do not seem to have the 9mm adapter piece at the back. I'm basing that on a visual inspection and the excess room in front of the loaded 9mm rounds pictured though, so I'm not positive. Until recently, we always assumed they were dedicated 9mm mags.

So, first and foremost, is it possible to convert the gun back to 7.62x25? Is a realistic move, or would it make more sense to just get a new 7.62 Tok for ~$200? If it is possible and practical, are there any good suppliers of Tokarev parts online? The only one I found was Sarco.

Finally, what parts do I need to do the job? Just the barrel? Or the barrel, barrel link, link pin, and a new bushing? What about other parts? Are the pictured mags for the 7.62x25, or do I need new ones? (unfortunately I neither own nor know someone who owns 7.62x25 ammo to use for a test fit)

Thank you in advance!

Default Re: Converting a 9mm Tokarev to fire 7.62X25?

The 9mm kits for 7.62mm TT-33s were initially a replacement 9mm barrel and a magazine. Later it was discovered that only the barrel was necessary, 9mm would feed from a 7.62mm magazine.

The short magazine was unique to the Chinese M213, most of the other examples I saw used standard length 7.62mm magazines. I recall M213 magazines were about 1.25" wide and the receiver had a spacer like this:

Some Chinese Type 54-1s came with a 9mm barrel from the factory.

Here are a few dimensions from a Russian TT-33:

Ejection port - 1.251"
    Magazine width - 1.464"

Both of these dimensions will be substantially less on the M213. It sounds like you have a standard TT-33 pattern with a 9mm barrel.

To test this, measure your magazine width or order a standard TT-33 magazine and see if it fits your pistol. If so, you might only need a 7.62 barrel, and now you have another spare magazine.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Northumberland County)

Ok, it definitely appears to be the standard Tokarev design. The mag well does not have the 9mm spacer piece and the mags measure a little less than 1.5" wide. To do the conversion, I'm obviously going to need the new barrel and I think I'll order a new link and pin right away so I don't need to keep switching them each time I put in a different barrel. But, do I need a different bushing? I've seen both a "9mm bushing" and a "7.62 bushing" advertised online. Are they really the same thing, but advertised differently, or will I have excessive play and potential problems if I keep using the "9mm bushing" that's currently on the gun? In other words, are the outside dimensions of both barrels the same? Finally, is there a good way to get the grips off a Tokarev? I'm only familiar with screw-on style grips, which these do not appear to be. I read somewhere about them having levers and checked it out a little bit, but figured I'd ask before screwing them up. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    But, do I need a different bushing? I've seen both a "9mm bushing" and a "7.62 bushing" advertised online.
    This sounds like it depends on the barrel outside diameter. All the 9mm barrels I examined had the same OD as the 7.62mm barrel. You might need to order the 7.62mm barrel first to answer this question.

Are they really the same thing, but advertised differently, or will I have excessive play and potential problems if I keep using the "9mm bushing" that's currently on the gun? In other words, are the outside dimensions of both barrels the same?
    See my reply, above. All the 9mm barrels I examined were 100% interchangeable in every respect except the interior chamber and bore dimensions.

Finally, is there a good way to get the grips off a Tokarev? I'm only familiar with screw-on style grips, which these do not appear to be. I read somewhere about them having levers and checked it out a little bit, but figured I'd ask before screwing them up. Thanks again!

1. Remove the magazine
    2. Use a small screwdriver, pick or suitable tool to swing the grip lever
    3. Pop out the grip. I recall the rear swings out first.
    4. Reach through the (now exposed) frame and swing the other grip lever
    5. Pop out the remaining grip.

Here are a few images that you might find helpful. They enlarge with a click:
    --

If you need more detail, I'll grab a TT and do a step by step grip removal photo shoot for you.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Lebanon County)

PA Rifleman gave you more technical information than I can but I can offer you some 7.62X25 ammo to test for fit.
    My experience with that caliber is limited to CZ52 pistols and I can say that the conversion of that pistol is easy. I have a replacement barrel chambered in 9X19 and it only takes a few minutes to change. It would be a lot quicker if I had the extra hardware (rollers, etc) so I wouldn't have to switch them from one barrel to the other but lately I can afford a few minutes more than I can afford a few dollars.
    Send me a PM, include your phone # if you like, I'll see what we can do about getting together to give you enough ammo to fill a mag to see how it fits and feeds.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    This sounds like it depends on the barrel outside diameter. All the 9mm barrels I examined had the same OD as the 7.62mm barrel. You might need to order the 7.62mm barrel first to answer this question.

See my reply, above. All the 9mm barrels I examined were 100% interchangeable in every respect except the interior chamber and bore dimensions.

1. Remove the magazine
    2. Use a small screwdriver, pick or suitable tool to swing the grip lever
    3. Pop out the grip. I recall the rear swings out first.
    4. Reach through the (now exposed) frame and swing the other grip lever
    5. Pop out the remaining grip.

If you need more detail, I'll grab a TT and do a step by step grip removal photo shoot for you.
    That's ok. I wanted to ask while I was thinking of it, but I'm not planning on removing them yet. Just something I wanted to know how to do correctly when the time comes. As easy as it sounds, I'm sure I won't have much trouble; thanks all the same though.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    PA Rifleman gave you more technical information than I can but I can offer you some 7.62X25 ammo to test for fit.
    My experience with that caliber is limited to CZ52 pistols and I can say that the conversion of that pistol is easy. I have a replacement barrel chambered in 9X19 and it only takes a few minutes to change. It would be a lot quicker if I had the extra hardware (rollers, etc) so I wouldn't have to switch them from one barrel to the other but lately I can afford a few minutes more than I can afford a few dollars.
    Send me a PM, include your phone # if you like, I'll see what we can do about getting together to give you enough ammo to fill a mag to see how it fits and feeds.
    I'm nearly positive that I've been using unmodified magazines all along, based on PA Rifleman's measurements and pictures. Thanks for the ammo test-fit offer though. I do appreciate it.

My whole plan behind this idea was to see if I could pick up another caliber without spending too much or making myself alot of work. It definitely sounds like the work will be easy. Now I just have to see if it's economically practical for me to follow through. Considering that 'new' Romanian Tokarevs go for a little over $200 from what I've seen, spending anything more than about $50-60 for just a few parts would be impractical IMO. I saw new barrels for about $30-35 and a new link and pin run about $5-10, so it may depend on the bushing. I'll keep everyone up-to-date if I follow through though.

(Juniata County)

To the OP: If you find a good deal on barrels, let me know also when you find them.

I saw your post and started thinking about doing the same thing to my norinco type 54. I originally bought mine with the intent of changing it to a 7.62x25. Mine has the mag well spacer and uses the smaller magazines. It also has the "wrap around" grips that cover the spacer up. The only good thing is that my ejection port is the "correct" size already. I need to thank PA Rifleman also, as he answered the same questions I had.

It's going to cost me a little more than you to convert mine. I'll need new grips and magazines, as well as the barrel and bushing (if needed) It the parts don't cost a fortune, I may give it a try.

Now I just need to justify the price of the surplus ammo in comparison to rolling my own 9mm's. It's really close to the same cost for me, but another caliber in the arsenal would be a nice option.

(Northumberland County)

The cheapest I found so far was $30 without a link and pin at SKS man.
    http://www.sksman.com/acces/tokarev.html
    Based on the description of them, I think they're the same as those at http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd....CatID=&mySort=, but a few dollars cheaper.

Sarco carries used ones in 'very good shape' for $35 and junkers for $15. Marstar has some parts as well, but from what I saw they tend to be a little pricier and they're in Canada.

(Montgomery County)

Just looked at the Sarco site, and it looks like they have different hammer mechanism assemblies for 9mm and 7.62 Tok. I wonder how much different those are.
    Hell, now I'm thinking about grabbing one of the 9mm barrels just because I like versatility in my guns.

(Berks County)

So what ever happened with this conversion? Any luck?

I cannot find the 7.62x25 barrels cheap ANYWHERE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast