Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Smile Scope suggestions, please!

I recently purchased a new Remington 700 SPS in .223. I installed a Harris HB25-S, and am now ready for the optics. This rifle will be used for groundhogs and yotes with distances to 400 yds. I'm looking to buy a "best value for the dollar" scope, and I'm looking for a variable, probably 6 power on the low end and 24 on the high. Your personal input would be greatly appreciated, so let me know what you have on yours. Thanks, gang!

Default Re: Scope suggestions, please!

I've had a Leupold 6X18 VX-II on my M700 Varmint for 13 yrs. Very good scope, but not cheap. They go for about $500 now.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Berks County)

It has been my experience that for a .223 cal at those distance, with that goal in mind you will have entirely too much zoom. At 24X your field of view will be limited severely, the cross hairs will be shakey now matter how steady a rest you have.

My suggestion would be to scale down and save some $$$.

On the low end of price but not so much as to suffer quality I would look at the SWFA line of Super Sniper scopes. They offer a variable powered scope in the 3-9 size that would suit your needs far better than a 6-24. They also offer a line of fixed power scopes that are phenominal.

If you want to spend a little more but not go over the top I would look at a Burris XTR in a 3-12 power scope. Still under a grand and a superb scope for your setup. The power band in my opinion is just right for hunting or bench shooting not over or under. My one qualm with the scope is that it is not an FFP scope, and I like that feature on any scope going past 9x.

Now for the "If I had that setup" answer.
    I think for hunting small game and coyotes I would want a super quick setup, something that has a lit caliber compensating reticle, fixed power band and quick easily repeatable cheek weld.

Bam!
    http://swfa.com/IOR-4x24-Tactical-30...ope-P6756.aspx

Best bang for the buck on a .223 chuck rifle - Weaver V16

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Monroe County)

If you don't want a leopold ,then Nikon scopes are real nice for the money. I was getting leopolds for all my rifles but it got to be expensive .
    http://www.opticsplanet.com/
    Last edited by XXKODIAKX; January 31st, 2010 at 01:21 PM.

(Monroe County)

Smile Re: Scope suggestions, please!

Thanks everyone for their input. I decided on a matt finish Nikon 4.5-14x40 BDC reticle with Leupold base and rings. Price was okay. I have a story about Cabelas, just waiting to see what they finally do...but I'll say this Dick's Sporting Goods in Easton (Bethlehem Twp), had the same 700 SPS in .223, for $100 less...so there is the start of my story.

Thanks again!