Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default cheapest 62gr .224 (or heavier)

What's the cheapest bullets you've found?

Most of the time I shoot within 100 yards, in fact, usually when I burn thru ammo, it's at camp and about 20 yards. It's mostly plinking so I could care less about accuracy, I'll buy good bullets for precision work.

I want to stockpile bullets, the absolute cheapest I can find, and that are at least 62gr (I have 1:7). I thought about pulled ss109, but I don't want to shoot steel with steel cores.

This is the best i've found. http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.c...ir=278|281|727
    62gr fmjbt $370/5000. With shipping, that's about .08/bullet.

They actually aren't bad at all. I haven't weighed or measured them for variance, but starting with the min load of H322, I got 1-2" groups at 50 yards. Considering it's w/o a scope and had my old, fat, front sight post, it was probably largely user error. I also have a KNS precision front sight now, so I can actually discern what the front sight is pointed at. I can't wait to try it out.

I'm sure the precision will get much better with a powder more suited for this cartridge and bullet. I'm thinking varget, and if I actually work up a load, i'm sure it'll be much better. Regardless, for what I want the bulk bullets for, it's already plenty accurate.

I am curious though, so once I get some varget or H335, I intend to work up a load. Plus it'll give me a chance to try out my new rcbs mic that's on it's way from midwayusa.

Anyway, back to the point. Does anyone know of anything cheaper? I'd love to get down to .05-.06/bullet.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: cheapest 62gr .224 (or heavier)

http://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchant...ry_Code=REL-RB

Call and ask them about 62 grain. I use their 55 grain and like it.

http://www.hi-techammo.com/hitech.zk...2&object-menu6

Remember, Google is your friend.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ham385 View Post
    What's the cheapest bullets you've found?

Most of the time I shoot within 100 yards, in fact, usually when I burn thru ammo, it's at camp and about 20 yards. It's mostly plinking so I could care less about accuracy, I'll buy good bullets for precision work.

I want to stockpile bullets, the absolute cheapest I can find, and that are at least 62gr (I have 1:7). I thought about pulled ss109, but I don't want to shoot steel with steel cores.

This is the best i've found. http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.c...ir=278|281|727
    62gr fmjbt $370/5000. With shipping, that's about .08/bullet.

They actually aren't bad at all. I haven't weighed or measured them for variance, but starting with the min load of H322, I got 1-2" groups at 50 yards. Considering it's w/o a scope and had my old, fat, front sight post, it was probably largely user error. I also have a KNS precision front sight now, so I can actually discern what the front sight is pointed at. I can't wait to try it out.

I'm sure the precision will get much better with a powder more suited for this cartridge and bullet. I'm thinking varget, and if I actually work up a load, i'm sure it'll be much better. Regardless, for what I want the bulk bullets for, it's already plenty accurate.

I am curious though, so once I get some varget or H335, I intend to work up a load. Plus it'll give me a chance to try out my new rcbs mic that's on it's way from midwayusa.

Anyway, back to the point. Does anyone know of anything cheaper? I'd love to get down to .05-.06/bullet.
    Since you're not looking for benchrest accuracy, go with a 55 gr projectile. They'll work just fine out of a 1 to 7 twist barrel as long as you're not doing any benchrest shooting. But, for plinking, they'll be perfect... and you can usually find them for a bit less.

Here's a website that may answer any questions regarding twist rates.

A light bullet with a twist rate too fast will work better than a heavier bullet with a twist rate too slow.

(Westmoreland County)

I prefer Hornaday's 55 gr FMJBT bullets.They will consistently group 5 shots into an inch at 100 yards.out of my 1in9 Delton.
    http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...=001532267B250

At about 8 cents shipped.

I tried the 62 gr Armscor from Midway - a little cheaper,but about twice the group size.
    The older I get,the better I used to be !!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    Since you're not looking for benchrest accuracy, go with a 55 gr projectile. They'll work just fine out of a 1 to 7 twist barrel as long as you're not doing any benchrest shooting. But, for plinking, they'll be perfect... and you can usually find them for a bit less.

Here's a website that may answer any questions regarding twist rates.

A light bullet with a twist rate too fast will work better than a heavier bullet with a twist rate too slow.
    that's an awesome site. thanks. I previously thought I had to stay around 60gr or higher because of the twist. I found a video somwhere, maybe it was that site ( I looked at it a couple days ago so can't remember ), where they were seeing how low they could go. 40 gr varmint grenades held together but the 35's just made a big cloud of lead as they blew apart.

(Bucks County)

Take a look here; " http://www.polygunbag.com/bullets.html ".

I've gotten very good results using a Sierra OTM MK 69gr out of my 1 in 7 twist S/S barrel. Went to the range today and tried out some similar 77gr, shot at 100 yards, got spread of 1.321" & 1.26 MOA, five round group.

PS, in my barrel, the lighter weight bullets just won't perform.

(Perry County)

That is a very good price, and Wideners is a good company to deal with. They are listing these as target HPBT, so they should be accurate but not for hunting. I have only had moderate success with the FMJ .55 and 62 gr bullets, i suspect it is the exposed lead on the base, but don't know. I looked for Armscor, as they make inexpensive bullets but Grafs are out and the ones you found are cheaper even so. I think I'll buy 500 and see how my rifles like them.

Good find, it sounds like you want to be ready with a good stash of components should the time come?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rundownfid View Post
    That is a very good price, and Wideners is a good company to deal with. They are listing these as target HPBT, so they should be accurate but not for hunting. I have only had moderate success with the FMJ .55 and 62 gr bullets, i suspect it is the exposed lead on the base, but don't know. I looked for Armscor, as they make inexpensive bullets but Grafs are out and the ones you found are cheaper even so. I think I'll buy 500 and see how my rifles like them.

Good find, it sounds like you want to be ready with a good stash of components should the time come?
    Nah, just stocking up for my buddies a camp. They burn thru my good stuff, which I don't mind at all, but I definitely want to make it as easy on my wallet as possible. Half the fun of having an AR is letting my friends experience it. Most of what we do is put up some paper and blast away at it from 30 yards. I want to get a steel reactive target to spice it up a bit, hence not wanting to use fmj. I think I'm going to get a small box of the thin jacketed 55 gr varmint bullets and see how they perform.

I haven't started my SHTF stash yet, as I have a bit of homework to do first. I want to make sure I choose a good performing bullet that shoots well from my rifle first. The problem is, there don't seem to be a lot of options. From what I've read, most stuff either mushrooms, retains it's shape, or in the case of varmint doesn't penetrate enough. I want something like M193 that yaws and fragments. Maybe M193 is the answer, but first I need to see how it performs with my rifle, then locate a decently priced stash. The other thing is I just started reloading. I need to get some practice in before I crank out a stash of ammo that I may stake my life on.

(Perry County)

If you are looking for a good quality but inexpensive steel target to hang:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hanging-Steel-Ta...item3a57754a1e

That is a guy on E-bay he has them listed as about $32 buy now, but also make offer, I got one 8" plate for $25 and it is good. I hung it at 200 yds and any number of people have shot it with little damage as it is AR500?, i.e. armored steel. I've shot it with .223s others with '06, etc, so far only the slightest of dents and a few chips out of the edges.