Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default Re: New Blair County Sheriff: NFA friendly?

I can tell you what is going on here because I asked Sheriff Cooper if it was true, and he told me it was and why.

While the ATF regulations allow a Sheriff to be considered the Chief Law Enforcement Officer of the area, Pennsylvania law does not. Sheriffs are not considered law enforcement officers in PA, they are part of the Court staff. There have been attempts to have PA law changed to make Sheriff's law enforcement officers, but these efforts have been opposed by organizations such as the FOP, PA State Police and the Police Chiefs' Association. So after researching the laws in question, Sheriff Cooper determined that he did not have the legal authority under PA law to sign those forms, and that they would have to be signed by someone who was considered a law enforcement officer, like a local police chief or the PA State Police.

I happen to be an attorney, and in the past had to research whether Sheriff's were law enforcement officers for an unrelated matter, and I can tell you that Sheriff Cooper's analysis of PA law is correct. He assured me that he is a staunch supporter of the Second Amendment, and this has nothing to do with liability for his office or politics. If he were to sign these forms his actions probably wouldn't be valid because he lacks the authority to do so under PA law.

Just wanted to clear this up because it appears there is a lot of misinformation out there right now.

(Blair County)

Thanks for the update. How does that affect the NFA transfers that where signed by Sheriff Fields?

(Blair County)

Thank you for your comments. Can this matter remain in abeyance indefinitely? Would you or any other local attorney have an opinion as to the prudence of using a PA chartered corporation or trust as the last option?

(Blair County)

Thanks for the update.

I'm currently waiting to hear back from Altoona PD. I called the Lt mentioned earlier in the thread about APD sign off on the forms in question, He stated he will research the issue since he in fact has never heard of these forms. Still waiting on their response.
    USAF Security Police

Any word yet? I want to get a silencer and I'm still curious as to who I should go to.

(Blair County)

well he actually did me a favor. Since he is being a jackass about signing. I am in the process of setting up a trust. It aint that high of a cost to do this. And I asked at allegheny trade about two weeks ago they said he still aint signing.
    Last edited by jmiro; October 22nd, 2010 at 02:02 AM.

(Blair County)

A trust is the way to go. No LE sign off, no fingerprints, no photos. I recently had one drawn up by an attorney who specializes in firearms law. He is Joshua Prince of the Prince Law Offices. The trust is 32 pages long and is very comprehensive.

(Blair County)

Like the posters above, I'm also setting up a Trust so I don't have to participate/be held hostage to the political shenanigans between the Sheriffs Dept and PA Law Enforcement.

It's absolutely pathetic that I have to spend a pretty decent chunk of change so I can set up a Trust, just to be able to spend even more money on tax stamps. Pathetic. Prince Law has been very helpful.
    USAF Security Police

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Truckie351 View Post
    A trust is the way to go. No LE sign off, no fingerprints, no photos. I recently had one drawn up by an attorney who specializes in firearms law. He is Joshua Prince of the Prince Law Offices. The trust is 32 pages long and is very comprehensive.
    thats who i am useing.

Is this Prince guy in Altoona? and what does a trust cost to setup?..ballpark figure.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast