Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Question .45 cal ACP safe lenght?

I had a problem with a pistol I have since sold, but, I cycled some ammo through it checking out it's problem. This compressed the bullet back into the casing. My question is,,, at which point does the .45 cal ACP ammo become unusable? I've measured them at around 30 mm or more long. That would be 1 1/64" or around 1.1900" At what point does it become dangerous to use them?

I realize this is a subjective thing, but would like to know for future reference. Are there any sites that I can explore to find out? I've tried several and had no luck.

George
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: .45 cal ACP safe lenght?

Never mind,,,,,, I'll just take them over to the club and dispose of them properly. It's not worth the risk....

George
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Allegheny County)

When I load 45 in either 185-200 grn SWC my OAL I used was 1.250, they ran great with no issues.

(Montgomery County)

The latest issue of Handloader has a good article that is relevant to this thread, Unfortunately I left my copy at my work week apartment in Central MD, so cannot give the correct bibliographic citation. dave_n

(Chester County)

It depends on the bullet profile and the chamber of the gun. Different guns and different manufactureres have differnt chamber tolerences. The best thing to do is remove the barel from your gun and drop a round in and check that it drops down to just below flush with the part or the barrel that contacts the breach face. It not, keep seating deeper untill it does. If the bullet is being jammed into the rifling you run the risk or increased pressure.

(Chester County)

I may have missunderstod, I thought you were talking about reloads. If you’re talking about factory rounds, I would not use any ammo with bullets that have been set back into the cases. Set back will increase pressure dramatically.

(Lebanon County)

Don't just dispose of them!

Pull the bullets out and re-reload it! (If factory loads, pull the bullets and just keep the brass and bullet for if you do reload)

I've been pulling all my factory loads, measuring the powder, and then averaging it, and reloading the stuff with the bullet I pulled (now at a consistant depth) and now the same, consistant powder charge! Save's me a primer, and a bullet, and I get pretty close to a "custom" reloaded round.

(I am amazed just how OFF [inconsistant] factory loads are in powder charge, and bullet seating depth, AND just how inconsistant bullet weights are!)
    Last edited by DethWshBkr; January 29th, 2010 at 11:49 PM.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    Don't just dispose of them!

Pull the bullets out and re-reload it! (If factory loads, pull the bullets and just keep the brass and bullet for if you do reload)

I've been pulling all my factory loads, measuring the powder, and then averaging it, and reloading the stuff with the bullet I pulled (now at a consistant depth) and now the same, consistant powder charge! Save's me a primer, and a bullet, and I get pretty close to a "custom" reloaded round.

(I am amazed just how OFF [inconsistant] factory loads are in powder charge, and bullet seating depth, AND just how inconsistant bullet weights are!)
    You know, that procedure just may not be in your best interest. On the face of it, it may seem a practical idea for you are hoping to obtain more uniform results, assuming that you are making the powder-charges, the seating depth, and the crimp more uniform.

What guarantee do you have that the powder in one case is exactly the same as the others? Ammunition manufacturers load in batches, making sure that the amount of powder (whatever powder they are using for that batch) in each case gives the standard pressure and velocity. Because any given batch of powder may vary significantly from the ones preceedcing and following it, they work up the load with each batch to produce standard results.

You know the relaoders' rule about not mixing powders? Because mixed powders may significantly alter the result, increasing pressure to disastrous levels. (Yes, "KaBOOM!" )

That you are still a fugitive from the law of averages speaks well of your good luck. And to an appropriately styled nom de plume.

If you are going to go to all that labor and effort, use new powder of which you are certain.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Lebanon County)

Perhaps it is misunderstood what I was doing.

For example - Prvi-Partisan 30-06.
    Powder charge was anywhere from 49.6-50.8 grain.
    I had initially pulled the bullets simply for the brass, to load with my Hornaday match bullets and Hodgdon 4895 or something like that, at 42 grain (for my Garand).

My uncle wanted to shoot the M1, so I figured, shoot, he's not going to care about match bullets or super accurate loads, so I figured, why waste my Hodgdon powder, and Hornaday bullets by loading THAT stuff into the Prvi brass that I pulled the bullets and powder from?
    I know for a fact that the charges in the FACTORY loaded Prvi was 49.6-50.8 grain ( I measured 6 ), seated +/- .016, with cannelure. So, I figured, load with the dumped factory powder at 50 grains.(I kept the factory Prvi-Partisan powder that I dumped, in a separate container specifically to just light on fire and burn at some time). I then just re-adjusted my dies to seat at a more uniform depth, on the cannelure, and voila!