Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default What do you do if you need to use a public restroom?

So I am still fairly new to carrying and I ran into an interesting situation the other day which I was not completely sure how to handle. I generally prefer not to use public restroom when I need to drop a deuce but sometimes you just don't have a choice. I got into the stall then realized I wasn't sure what to do about my gun. I didn't really want to just leave it connected to my pants and let it hang near the floor where someone might be able to see my feet and notice it or something.

I ended up putting it in my jacket pocket which i hung on the hook on the stall door. I'm not sure what I would have done with it had it been warmer and I didn't have a jacket.

I know its a pretty specific and maybe not so common situation, but what would you all do?

(Franklin County)

Default Re: What do you do if you need to use a public restroom?

I just confirm the attendant is licensed, and I have him keep it.

Depending on the circumstances, available surfaces, and cleanliness of those surfaces, I may leave it on the floor in the far back corner (I favor stalls on the end), on top of the tank (a rarity these days in public restrooms), on top of the toilet paper dispenser, or inside my lowered drawers (provides the easiest accessibility, IMO).
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(York County)

In the holster, on the belt, OWB.

I use a gun belt, the belt keeps the gun/holster in the same orientation as if I was still wearing it. I usually try to keep my feet and legs inside the stall with me.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    In the holster, on the belt, OWB.

I use a gun belt, the belt keeps the gun/holster in the same orientation as if I was still wearing it. I usually try to keep my feet and legs inside the stall with me.
    Same here - I am not bothering to take the holster off and definitely not removing the gun from the holster just to use the restroom. Let someone see it - I possess an LTCF.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by nilsirl View Post
    ...I wasn't sure what to do about my gun. I didn't really want to just leave it connected to my pants and let it hang near the floor where someone might be able to see my feet and notice it or something.

I ended up putting it in my jacket pocket which i hung on the hook on the stall door. I'm not sure what I would have done with it had it been warmer and I didn't have a jacket.

I know its a pretty specific and maybe not so common situation, but what would you all do?
    I leave the gun in the holster and rebuckle my belt just below my knees.

I don't like my pants around my ankles anyway, and tend to keep them up around my knees even if I'm not carrying. Just be aware if you do a courtesy flush that you don't have your pants hangin' over into the bowl.

Most stalls are low enough that a person can't see as high as your knees so this works well for me. I was once in a Houston (TX) mall that only had walls that extended about half way up. Kind of odd being able to look your neighbor eye-to-eye while your sitting...I don't think I'll go back there though.

I wouldn't leave it in the jacket were someone can reach over the door and grab your coat (or backpack, etc.)

I may leave it on the floor in the far back corner (I favor stalls on the end), on top of the tank (a rarity these days in public restrooms), on top of the toilet paper dispenser, ...
    I would never recommend unholstering and laying a gun down, even within arms reach. This is how pistols get left behind or dropped on the floor.

...or inside my lowered drawers (provides the easiest accessibility, IMO)
    This may work though.
    Kind Regards,
    ChuckS

“The will to win is important. But the will to prepare is vital.” — Joe Paterno

Talking Re: What do you do if you need to use a public restroom?

I just use that time to practice my twirling skills aka Billy The Kid. That way if I have an AD, it is confined to the stall and I can pass off the noise and the smell as last nights chile. And believe me, an AD works wonders for constipation. Especially if the guy in the next stall is the one constipated.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, and I don't even play one on the internet. Never mistake my opinion for legal advice. If you do need legal advise, seek it from those who get paid to give it, I know I do.

(Warren County)

Ok, not to run this train too far off track but this thread reminded me of when I was in the first Gulf war. We had some enterprising young maintenance folks that actually built us a trailer crapper. Basically it was a multi-hole box that we would use a big forklift to lift it on a 5 ton truck and drag it around the dessert.

Anyways the thread about the half-height walls reminded about using it and how we always took our web-belts w/holster off before sitting down. You didn't want them dropping down the hole

It was just an interesting sight 5 guys sitting on the crapper with either a 92f or an M-16 in their hands.

you can never be too safe when doing your business

(Northampton County)

I use a wide stance to keep my pants up off the floor

I drop trow, unhook my holster and lay the gun in-between my legs inside my boxers... once or twice I set it on the toilet paper holder, but got worried I would bump it off in the pot... So I figured the safest way was in my boxers...
    ΑΣΦ

Quote Originally Posted by Adam M Geer View Post
    I drop trow, unhook my holster and lay the gun in-between my legs inside my boxers... once or twice I set it on the toilet paper holder, but got worried I would bump it off in the pot... So I figured the safest way was in my boxers...

This is my rifle, this is my gun.....................
    I Am Not A Lawyer, and I don't even play one on the internet. Never mistake my opinion for legal advice. If you do need legal advise, seek it from those who get paid to give it, I know I do.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast