Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default ar 15 red dot setup

S&W M&P15
    im setting up my bsa redot sight and the front post is in the way,im assuming im to leave it off?
    im using a bushnell laser bore sighter.
    question 2 when i extend my range to sight 3yds to 15 yds, the difference seems huge....6"-8"....?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: ar 15 red dot setup

Get a riser like this one:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=529396

That way you can leave on your front sight post and if you have a fold-down rear sight you can co-witness the red dot and sight in that way, if your irons are on. This way if your in a pickle you dont have to reattach the post.

If 1/2" isnt enough height, there are taller ones.
    If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?

(Philadelphia County)

There is going to be a huge difference in POA vs POI at such close ranges due to the sights being raised up so far above the bore axis. This is why so many people tend to be gutshot in CQB as most do not compensate fully for the sight offset.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    There is going to be a huge difference in POA vs POI at such close ranges due to the sights being raised up so far above the bore axis. This is why so many people tend to be gutshot in CQB as most do not compensate fully for the sight offset.
    At close range the difference between POA and POI for an AR sighted in at 50+ yards is going to be 3" or less. Its just something to practice and get accustomed to. The only time its a problem is if shooting from cover or a close range hostage situation.
    If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by eulogyADD View Post
    At close range the difference between POA and POI for an AR sighted in at 50+ yards is going to be 3" or less. Its just something to practice and get accustomed to. The only time its a problem is if shooting from cover or a close range hostage situation.
    Oh yeah, I'm not saying it's a problem. I'm just saying people sometimes forget to take it into account. I remember another forum I was on, a member in Australia had stopped and was going to take a shot at a Dingo. Well he lined up his shot and pulled the trigger. His car's mirror exploded, the dingo took off and he was sitting there wondering what the hell had happened for a minute until he realized that while his sights had cleared the mirror, his muzzle hadn't.

(Chester County)

This spacer will give you a lower third co and LaRue makes great kit!

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    Could you elaborate? Pretend I'm a retarded 3rd grader.

I just ordered my rifle kit with a flat-top upper. I plan to put (for now) a flip-up rear sight on it. Are you saying that if I want to put a scope/Red-dot/etc on the upper and keep the iron sights I'll have problems?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by lexnaturalis View Post
    Could you elaborate? Pretend I'm a retarded 3rd grader.

I just ordered my rifle kit with a flat-top upper. I plan to put (for now) a flip-up rear sight on it. Are you saying that if I want to put a scope/Red-dot/etc on the upper and keep the iron sights I'll have problems?
    Nah, I doubt you will have any problems. The thing is that the line of sight through the sights is I believe about 3" give or take above the bore of the weapon. I was exaggerating a bit when I said the difference will be huge, it'll be a lot more than most people will be used to shooting close distances with a pistol though which usually has it's sight axis only a centimeter or two above the bore of the weapon. The AR has the bore angled up relative to the sightline so that they intersect and keep fairly close together for several hundred meters. When you are shooting those distances a couple inches isn't that big of a difference so long as you hit the target (talking 2 way range here) whereas the distances you are shooting onside a house a POI 4" lower than POA can put a center mass shot below the ribs then add into that raising up the optic a touch so as to get a lower 1/3 cowitness. As most train for centermass shots that difference (plus taking into account that we Americans are quite commonly close to a foot taller than our current opposition the downward angle will only add to this effect) turns a good number of centermass shots into gut shots.
    I'm really just saying to be aware of it is all, not that you will have any problems. The difference in sight axis just creates some unusual circumstances like the one I described above so just be aware of that and that that is why you are seeing that huge change in POA vs POI at those close distances.

(Montgomery County)

Talking Re: ar 15 red dot setup

well heres my cure...BSA redot laserlyte rail laser
    Last edited by tomgun1; January 31st, 2010 at 05:08 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Question Re: ar 15 red dot setup

LP am i right in saying a gun that soots POI POA at 50 feet will make a top of head shot in to a center of chest hit at 50 yards?