Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Butler County)

Default Selling a gun...

I did not put this in the classifieds because I'm not actually looking to sell it on here.
    I have a blued Taurus 94 (9 shot .22), with 4 in barrel that I'm looking to sell. It is in good shape, the only issue with it is that it gets light strikes occasionally on crap ammo (thunderduds).
    I bought it used and am not really sure what to ask for it.
    Also this is the first gun I'm selling, so i really don't know what i need to do to sell it.
    Do I need any of my purchase paperwork? If so, what?
    I'm looking to sell it on consignment at a local shop, what is the standard procedure for that? I'm assuming that the shop takes some commission, what would be standard for this?

Thanks in advance guys

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Selling a gun...

Here are the hard and fast rules:

To find a price, check gunbroker, gunsamerica and auction arms. Check for the completed auctions to see what they really go for. Be honest about the condition, to yourself.

To sell the handgun it has to be transferred through an FFL. For a PA resident, you both can go down to the FFL of your choice and do the paperwork (buyers pay the transfer typically). If the individual is from out of state it must be shipped to an FFL in the buyers state, preferably after the buyer pays for the handgun and the shipping charges.

That is all.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by swack View Post
    I bought it used and am not really sure what to ask for it.
    Search Gunbroker (completed) auctions. Pay attention to the ones that actually sold, not the flood of Buy-It-Now autions that did not get bids/sold.

Do I need any of my purchase paperwork?
    No

I'm looking to sell it on consignment at a local shop, what is the standard procedure for that? I'm assuming that the shop takes some commission, what would be standard for this?
    There really isn't a "standard". THey vary quite a bit in my experiences.
    Call your local shops and ask.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Centre County)

You'll probably make more buy selling it yourself rather that on consignment. As said, peruse the gun auctions and see what they are sold for, not selling for. That will give you a good idea of where to start. You can then list it here, on one of the auction sites, your local Bargain sheet, etc.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lancaster County)

Most shops keep ten percent or a minimum of $40 if the gun will sell for less than $400. Selling it consignment is the easiest way to do it although, as previously mentioned, you can get more selling it on your own. If you decide to sell it at a shop just show up with your gun and drivers license and they'll take it from there. Then.......be patient. Some guns take a long time to sell and then when they do the buyer may just put money down. In that case you wont get anything until its paid off, usually up to 60 days.
    Last edited by bripro; January 30th, 2010 at 12:10 AM.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

And some shops, though I am not sure if they are in the majority, will ask for some amount even if your gun does not sell, and you take it back. Has something to do with the gun being "...in their book". It helps to havwe all the details cleared up before putting it in their hands (showcase).

Like some other respondents say, you will probably do better selling it on your own, eeither through PAFOA classifieds, the local "shopper', or even an ad in the local newspaper.

Good luck.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Allegheny County)

I have a blued Taurus 94 (9 shot .22), with 4 in barrel that I'm looking to sell. It is in good shape, the only issue with it is that it gets light strikes occasionally on crap ammo (thunderduds).
    Off topic but that can often be fixed with a new mainspring.

(Lebanon County)

One of the pitfalls for someone not experienced in this area is the possibility of someone with less than reputable intentions answering an ad in the local paper trying to sidestep the law.
    Some shops or dealers may also sense that you are not well versed in this type of thing and try to take advantage of you, maybe for a few extra $$, maybe for more.
    You're doing good by asking for advice and opinions to familiarize yourself with procedures and details before you make your final decision.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.