Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Visiting Ridgway, PA

Wild! Count me in!

(Somerset County)

I don't know how much spare time you'll have but a trip to Clearfield (probably 45 minutes one way) to visit Grice Gun Shop and the Grice Museum (cars, mounted game animals etc) would be worthwhile.

http://gricegunshop.com/

http://www.gricemuseum.com/

Bob's Army Navy is a good place too, just down the street from Grices

Dale

Dam.. I lived in St.Marys all my life and never went to this thing... It is only a 10 min drive to Ridgway... I might have to go see it... Now that I live in Harrisburg... 25k people ehh? never knew that... Where in the hell do they stay? Kinda cold to set up a tent...
    ΑΣΦ

Default Driving from Picksburg to Ridgway...

It's almost time for the Chainsaw Rendezvous in Ridgway, PA so I've been looking into directions from Pittsburg International to Ridgway. Google Earth says I'll be driving on a turnpike... I'd forgotten there even were turnpikes, toll bridges and the like! We don't have that stuff out West.

What's the deal with turnpikes? Should I be prepared with a pocket full of quarters, or dollar bills (stripper change), or what? How's it all work?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Driving from Picksburg to Ridgway...

Quote Originally Posted by twoclones View Post
    It's almost time for the Chainsaw Rendezvous in Ridgway, PA so I've been looking into directions from Pittsburg International to Ridgway. Google Earth says I'll be driving on a turnpike... I'd forgotten there even were turnpikes, toll bridges and the like! We don't have that stuff out West.

What's the deal with turnpikes? Should I be prepared with a pocket full of quarters, or dollar bills (stripper change), or what? How's it all work?
    There are two routes..

1. Pittsburgh International SR60 eastward to I-79N(you will need to get off the 4 lane to follow SR60 thru the Robinson TWP area to get to I-79), to I-80E, to exit #97 or so(DuBois, Falls Creek exit for SR/US219), go north on SR/US219 north for about 11 miles to Brockway, then turn right at the light in Brockway(the only light) and head north on 219 to Ridgway 19 miles away.

2. or you can take SR60 eastward to 22/30 which becomes I-279 near I-79. Take I-279 to downtown Pittsburgh and get onto SR28 north. Take SR28 north for about 105 miles+/-. You come to the same stop light mentioned in direction #1, but you go straight onto SR/US219 for 19 miles. be prepared for 2-3 lane changes you'll have to make with NO notice to get from I-279, to between the stadiums, to SR28 North.

Not exactly sure where the chainsaw thing is held, but I'm sure one of the locals will tell ya. The routes I gave dont take you on any toll roads.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lebanon County)

Knight0334 gave you good directions to get you from Pittsburgh to Ridgway, no toll roads involved and either way is a pretty straight shot.
    When you get into Ridgway you'll be coming down a hill called Bootjack, (Rt. 219). At the bottom of the hill you'll bear slightly to the left to go through town. You'll go through 3 intersections with traffic signals, cross a bridge then take a left at the next traffic signal. After the left you'll find the rendezvous on your left within a few hundred yards.
    Ridgway is a pretty small town, it's hard to get lost there. The locals are friendly, you won't have a problem if you ask anyone for directions if you aren't sure.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Warren County)

I was wondering that myself, grew up in Youngsville and I drive thru Ridgeway on the way home to visit. Only reason I stop in Ridgeway is to visit Sheetz for a quick snack. Not sure what else there is to see in Ridgeway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfighter04 View Post
    I'm baffled why anybody would be flying across the country with Ridgway as a destination
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam M Geer View Post
    Dam.. I lived in St.Marys all my life and never went to this thing... It is only a 10 min drive to Ridgway... I might have to go see it... Now that I live in Harrisburg... 25k people ehh? never knew that... Where in the hell do they stay? Kinda cold to set up a tent...
    I grew up in Ridgway but moved away before they started this event, they've only been doing it for about 10 years. I too would like to know where they all stay. They boast 25,000 people but that sounds like a lot for the size of the town, that many people would create a shoulder to shoulder crowd in the entire business district. There certainly aren't lodging accommodations in or near town for that many people, I'm guessing most visitors are only there for a day and those who do stay longer would have to drive a ways to find a place to sleep.
    St. Marys has a few hotels & motels but I'd be hard pressed to believe they could handle that many visitors.
    If you're going to be there for more than one day I hope you have your reservations made well in advance or you may find yourself commuting to McKean or Clearfield counties to find a room.

(Of course those of us such Adam and myself who have family in the area wouldn't have such problems).

Thanks for the directions! Option 1 looks like the route for me but it's very different from where Google Maps would have sent me. Good thing I asked here When I look at the map of any state east of the Mississippi I am amazed at the density of the roads. In my work, I sometimes walk 5 miles and reach the summit of 3 mountains in a single day without seeing another person for as many as 4 days at a time. I can locate 2" diameter section corners and quarter corners in dense forest or wide open desert but looking at the road map of the area around Pittsburgh gives me the willys. LOL

When laundry is finished, I'll wrap up the packing portion of my adventure. Power tools are bringing my luggage to near maximum allowed weight. I may have to thin the herd before take check-in. Can't find a factory box for ammo so may have to buy some to make the airline happy.

(Lebanon County)

No count yet but they're saying it's the best turnout they've had so far. They're only 2 days into the event, there's a full week to go including next weekend.

http://www.ridgwayrecord.com/content/view/223174/1/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast