Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Protest the protesters at The Shooter Shop

On Saturday February 13th, Heading God's call is going to be protesting at The Shooter Shop on 2001 E. Allegheny Ave, Philadelphia. You can look at their Facebook page here. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Philad...1522012&ref=mf

"Join us as we raise our voices in anguish,anger and prayer. Prayer Vigil and Rally Saturday February 13th, 12 Noon to 1 P.M. in front of the Shooter Shop, 2001 E. Allegheny Ave, Philadelphia."

Malaka, a junior member here, is the niece of the owner of the shop. She has hinted that it would be nice for some of us to come out there in support of the shop as well as our 2A. This is the PAFOA thread http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...ek-page-2.html

So, how many people would be interested in lending our support on the matter?
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Protest the protesters at The Shooter Shop

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for your support!! Gun owners need to stand together louder and prouder then anti-gun protesters, or we will loose the fight!! Our rights MUST be protected!!

(Philadelphia County)

I will be there. I suggest a disciplined counter-protest with particular discipline when it comes to message. Remember your audience and remember your goal.

Specifically, these folks are trying to get The Shooter Shop to sign a "Code of Conduct":

http://www.peacegathering2009.org/gv...ode-of-conduct

1. Videotaping the Point of Sale for All Firearms Transactions. Participating retailers will videotape the point-of-sale of all firearms transactions and maintain videos for 6 months to deter illegal purchases and monitor employees.

2. Computerized Prime Gun Trace Log and Alert System. Maors Against Illegal Guns will develop a computerized system that participating retailers will implement over time to log crime gun traces relating to the retailer. Once the program is in place, if a customer who has a prior trace at that retailer attempts to purchase a firearm, the sale will be electronically flagged. The retailer would have discretion to proceed with the sale or stop the sale.

3. Purchaser Declaration. For sales flagged by the trace alert system, participating retailers will ask purchasers to fill out a declaration indicating that they meet the legal requirement to purchase the firearm.

4. Deterring Fake IDs. Participating retailers will only accept valid federal- or state-issued picture IDs as primary identification. Retailers will utilize additional ID checking mechanisms.

5. Consistent Visible Signage. Participating retailers will post signage created by the Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership to alert customers of their legal responsibilities at the point-of-sale.

6. Employee Background Checks. Participating retailers will conduct criminal background checks for all employees selling or handling firearms.

7. Employee Responsibility Training. Participating retailers will participate in an employee responsibility training program focused on deterring illegal purchasers. The Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership will create an online training system based on Wal-Mart´s training program.

8. Inventory Checking. Participating retailers will conduct daily and quarterly audits. Guidelines will be based on Wal-Mart´s existing audit procedures.

9. No Sales Without Background Check Results. Participating retailers would prohibit sales based on "default proceeds," which are permitted by law when background check has not returned a result within 3 days.

10. Securing Firearms. Participating retailers will maintain firearms kept in customer accessible areas in locked cases or locked racks.

These guys are obviously anti-gun, but they're smart. They aren't protesting just for the sake of protesting a gun shop-- they have carefully crafted a seemingly reasonable "Code of Conduct". I'm not sure what #s 2 and 3 are all about (anyone who can enlighten me, please do), and I can obviously see the problem with #9.

As to the rest, we should know why The Shooter Shop does not want to or cannot comply. In other words, we need rebuttals. Also it would be helpful to know if this group previously approached the Shooter Shop and what the interaction was.

I am happy to help draft a flyer, a press release (both subject to approval by the owners of The Shooter Shop), and to directly engage the protesters with dialogue, and I do have experience in this sort of thing, but I do need some more info first.
    "When law becomes despotic, morals are relaxed, and vice versa."-- Honore de Balzac, The Wild Ass's Skin...huh, huh..Balzac...Wild Ass...huh, huh

(Philadelphia County)

I'll definately try to stop by and lend my support and hopefully a purchase or two if something catches my eye.

(Delaware County)

You know what would be great? make up our own protest signs that make fun of them, and join their protest!
    They won't be nearly as effective if there are a smattering of "I'm afraid of personal responsibility" and "I want to be defenseless" signs in their midst.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Helter View Post
    You know what would be great? make up our own protest signs that make fun of them, and join their protest!
    They won't be nearly as effective if there are a smattering of "I'm afraid of personal responsibility" and "I want to be defenseless" signs in their midst.
    Another good one "I'd rather punish store owners than criminals". I don't know if I can fit that on a standard poster board though...

(Philadelphia County)

You're a sneaky fuck. I like you. But I think a more subtle approach would be more effective. Like signs that say "The Police Will Protect Us!" or "Self-Defense Isn't Worth The Risk".

But I'm thinking of another strategy entirely. You comin or what?
    "When law becomes despotic, morals are relaxed, and vice versa."-- Honore de Balzac, The Wild Ass's Skin...huh, huh..Balzac...Wild Ass...huh, huh

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene V. Debs View Post
    You're a sneaky fuck. I like you. But I think a more subtle approach would be more effective. Like signs that say "The Police Will Protect Us!" or "Self-Defense Isn't Worth The Risk".

But I'm thinking of another strategy entirely. You comin or what?
    Sadly, I don't think most people would get it....

(Philadelphia County)

Sadly, I don't think most people would get it....
    Ah, you're just not sneaky enough Gotta make it part of a long-term PR plan.

You comin?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast