Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Charter Arms - old style

I'd be glad to share my info with you. Ser. no. 3129xx is factory nickel from Bridgeport, Conn. It appears to have larger factory grips than came with most Bulldogs. Do you have any idea of year of production or any other tidbits that might be interesting? There's not much out there in cyberspace that I've been able to locate. Just every once in a while I catch a glimpse of info. regarding history of the Charter Arms Company. And, then, it's somewhat fleeting at best.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Scrounger; October 24th, 2010 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Added content.

(Northampton County)

Scrounger,
    I've been able to determine that the barrel address change from Bridgeport to Stratford occurred somewhere between s/n 314594 and 317488. This happened sometime in 1974 (I'm pretty sure of this date, but need a bit more data.) Since your s/n 3129xx is about 1500 below the former s/n - I'd guess your piece was made in 1973.
    The grips you cite, if larger than the standard Bulldog panels (which were rounded at the bottom) may be the "walnut 'Target'" type - which are usually found on the 4" Target Bulldogs (.44 SPL and .357 MAG) and the TRACKER series - (.44 SPL and .357 MAG) which had bull barrels (2.5", 4" & 6") and adjustable rear sights. These grips were "square butt". Since any pair of grip panels from any of the Charter Arms revolvers would fit any other CA revolver - it is not unusual to find other than factory original combinations.
    As I posted before - Nickel plated pieces are rare - in over 1000 data points in my file - there are only 6 pieces listed, including yours.
    Jim

I missed your picture - the grips on your piece are the standard Bulldog grip panels.
    Last edited by 32 Magnum; October 24th, 2010 at 10:30 PM.
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

Hey 32 Magnum. I went back to the last place I remember seeing my old CA Bulldog info. Nothing ever changes around here. I found the original box with the folded instructions inside....missing the warranty page that I must have mailed to Charter. There was a post it note inside the box with CA's address on Sniffens Lane, Stratford, Conn. 06497 and a contact name: Mr. Charles Gara. I don't know how much the site will allow me to upload. But, I'm going to give it my best attempt.

I also tried to copy pages from the owners manual. Hope all of this helps. I found it interesting that both the box and manual had a Stratford, Conn. address although the Bulldog was rollmarked Bridgeport, Conn. The green label on one end of the box is like a sticker. What's up with that? Might it have had something to do with labeling of pieces that were sent out for nickel plating and custom engraving work? Just a guess.
    Last edited by Scrounger; October 25th, 2010 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Added content.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounger View Post
    I also tried to copy pages from the owners manual. Hope all of this helps. GREAT HELP! I downloaded to my CA files. I found it interesting that both the box and manual had a Stratford, Conn. address although the Bulldog was rollmarked Bridgeport, Conn. You said you bought this piece in 1975? That purchase date and the roll stamp address helps with my estimation of 1974 being the switch from Bridgeport to Stratford - confirming evidence. The piece was made, inventoried and then shipped from storage after the switch over. The green label on one end of the box is like a sticker. What's up with that? Might it have had something to do with labeling of pieces that were sent out for nickel plating and custom engraving work? I've seen other boxes from that era (yellow and brown, there are at least three other colors/combos during the 1st Gen.) with that label - appears that the boxes were "generic" and the piece inside was IDed by the end label - standard practice for a lot of manufacturers - just makes sense and saves money. Hell, you can often find "generic" unlabeled S&W boxes offered at gunshows and on the auction sites. Just a guess.
    Note the 'N' hand written on the end label - probably indicates "Nickel plated" as I've not seen it on other boxes.

Opps. I omitted the last page of the manual because of the upload limit. Here it is. It shows Charter Arms factory engraving as a option. The missing back cover page was also the mail-in warranty card.

(Pike County)

Man, that collection is really nice. Have to keep an eyeball peeled for them. Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by 32 Magnum View Post
    Scrounger,
    I've been able to determine that the barrel address change from Bridgeport to Stratford occurred somewhere between s/n 314594 and 317488. This happened sometime in 1974 (I'm pretty sure of this date, but need a bit more data.) Since your s/n 3129xx is about 1500 below the former s/n - I'd guess your piece was made in 1973.
    The grips you cite, if larger than the standard Bulldog panels (which were rounded at the bottom) may be the "walnut 'Target'" type - which are usually found on the 4" Target Bulldogs (.44 SPL and .357 MAG) and the TRACKER series - (.44 SPL and .357 MAG) which had bull barrels (2.5", 4" & 6") and adjustable rear sights. These grips were "square butt". Since any pair of grip panels from any of the Charter Arms revolvers would fit any other CA revolver - it is not unusual to find other than factory original combinations.
    As I posted before - Nickel plated pieces are rare - in over 1000 data points in my file - there are only 6 pieces listed, including yours.
    Jim

I missed your picture - the grips on your piece are the standard Bulldog grip panels.

(Northampton County)

Rob,
    You're welcome, my pleasure -AND- thanks for thanking.

IMG_2840.jpg

Used to own this little number, 1967 vintage Undercover. I was looking for a hooded or hammerless .38 Spl, so I traded. I really liked this little guy and miss him already.

(Northampton County)

Karl,
    Many show up on the firearms auction sites - check out www.gunbroker.com and www.auctionarms.com. Generally winning bids for these 1st Gen. pieces are relatively low - sometimes less than 200 bucks. I bought 22 of the 25 I currently own over the internet - the other three at gun shows. I've not gotten one that was in other than good to excellent condition - you have to be a bit picky.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast