Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Somerset County)

Default Re: 1st Time I Saw Someone Open Carry

Quote Originally Posted by USMC SGT View Post
    woops, damn nugget marines talking to me while i am typing, i will haze them laters, thanks for the help EM, yeah i was looking at a kydex paddle holster last night at Gander Mnt and was wondering if those are a good kind for OC, it was a Uncle Mikes Paddle Holster, i would love a Sepra but the price difference is a big factor for me. the UM is only 24 were as the Sepra is 50+ IIRC.
    Sgt,

I picked up a polymer retention holster at Sporting Goods Discounters in Johnstown last week. It came with a double mag holder too. Price wasn't bad, $39 IIRC for the combo. It works quite well, even though I only OC around my neighborhood (Cairnbrook/Central City). SPD seems to have better prices than Gander and all of their staff is outstanding.

I guess with you, NineseveN, TsgtBob, and Mtnbkski in the area we're going to need to have a local get together sometime.

(Cambria County)

yeah, i was planning to run buy there after i get off of work, yeah we going to have to figure something out for a Johns-vegas shoot.
    USMC SGT
    UH-1N Crewchief

"I bring the death from above"

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Highlander View Post
    Sgt,

I picked up a polymer retention holster at Sporting Goods Discounters in Johnstown last week. It came with a double mag holder too. Price wasn't bad, $39 IIRC for the combo. It works quite well, even though I only OC around my neighborhood (Cairnbrook/Central City). SPD seems to have better prices than Gander and all of their staff is outstanding.

I guess with you, NineseveN, TsgtBob, and Mtnbkski in the area we're going to need to have a local get together sometime.
    They do have some good deals there at SGD's. For a medium sized sporting goods shop, they a decent selection of holsters. ...far better then many of the shops I've been to.

I purchased a holster for my derringer Wednesday evening, and plan on putting a deposit on a revolver early next week.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

I was at the flea-market in hazen in the beginning of August and saw a guy OC a 1911 clone...it sorta took me by suprise cause I didn't know the states stance of open carry...still sorta weird, look like he hadn't showered since the 1976 olympics and woulda taken him 20 minutes to get to his gun, but still sorta weird none the less.
    Plus I think the guy got a few bargins on stuf lol

(Cambria County)

yeah i am going to be getting a Sepra from SGD after the 1st so i can OC/CC depending on my clothes
    USMC SGT
    UH-1N Crewchief

"I bring the death from above"

(Northampton County)

I feel like a tool. I've had a LTCF for a while,was born in Scranton & did not know that OC was legal in PA until a couple months ago.

I don't OC but now I don't worry about printing nearly as much.

(Cumberland County)

Hi i'm new to the board and just wanted to say that I have OC in the Mechanicsburg area a few times and never had any problems. Just today I stopped for gas in town with no problems. Passed several people and they didn't seem to notice.

(Franklin County)

crjoe, Welcome to the board! Nice to see another person from south-central PA. There are a few of us currently discussing a get together in the Franklin County forum. Might want to check it out.

Ok, this thread was started about open carry. I had my first LEO experience tonight. I would like to share.
    I walk my German Shepherd every night by myself. I have been open carrying since I bought my firearm when I walk my dog at night.
    I live in a rather small town about 3000 people. And everybody knows everybody. I am new here to PA, only about 2 months now. So I only know a couple of people.
    I was walking the pooch, open carrying my .38spcl. We walked around a few blocks, for about 45 minutes. As I approached my house, on my walkway, with my back to the street, I heard the voice say "Michele got a minute". I turned around and it was my local LEO. Super nice guy. He's stopped to chat a few times while he was "walking his beat". I said sure whats up. He got out of the car, I asked him if he wanted me to bring the dog in or if he wanted to come in for coffee or something. He said no, and proceeded to play with the dog. He quietly said, "Michele whats this", and pointed to his own firearm. And asked if everything was okay. I said yes that everything was okay. He said they got a call saying "man brandishing a gun walking a giant rottweiler". We both started to laugh. He asked me why I was carrying. I told him the truth. He didn't seem to mind that I was carrying. He told me that of course I could open carry, but he wouldn't advise it. He told me to keep it concealed. He explained to me that although many people in this town have permits, they do carry concealed. Its usually not the norm in this town to open carry. So people have a tendency to "react" when they see a stranger open carrying. He explained to me that because i'm new to the neighborhood, people would be concerned, you know "stranger with a gun". This is a very close knit town. He also told me that he and the other LEOS kind of watch my house. I was kind of startled. He explained to me that he/they know that I don't have a man around, so they have a tendency to watch out for the women. There are a few other single women that they watch out for too. I thought that was very nice He also said that if I ever encounter any kind of problem or if something scares me just to call and they will come running. I thought that was really nice. So we talked about kids and dogs for a while and he left. When he was getting in the car I said/mentioned "I do have a permit". He smiled and said "I know", got it about 2 weeks ago, have a good evening.
    I think it went well. It was nice not to hear a lecture and not have to stand on the second amendment. And it was great that my local LEOs actually DO know the law. I truly think he showed extreme concern for me, by giving me a heads up on this town, and how some people might react.

(Lancaster County)

So are you going to continue to OC on you walks?
    Chill out it's a gun not a pipe bomb

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast