Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Questions About PA CCW Law

1. How long has it been when PA first adopted CCW? Just always wondered that

2. Is your law pre-empt or subject to home rule?

3. For those that were around and involved in the fight to get the law could you share a story about the pitfalls and spikes that took place in your fight?

4. Where can I find a solid up to date list of all the states that a non resident of PA can legally carry on a PA permit. I know IN and MO but who else?

Thank you for your time, good bunch of folks you have around here and a hell of a lot of 'em!
    DL,

Default Re: Questions About PA CCW Law

This is about all I can add in regards to to #4

http://www.pafoa.org/law/carrying-fi...ry/reciprocity

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Drylok View Post
    1. How long has it been when PA first adopted CCW? Just always wondered that
    PA went "Shall Issue" in 1989. Prior to 1989, it was possible to obtain a license/permit (I don't know what they were called back then, now it's a License To Carry Firearms), but on a "May Issue" basis.
    We have preemption.
    3. For those that were around and involved in the fight to get the law could you share a story about the pitfalls and spikes that took place in your fight?
    Can't help you here.
    4. Where can I find a solid up to date list of all the states that a non resident of PA can legally carry on a PA permit. I know IN and MO but who else?
    http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184 That only shows states with which PA has reciprocity agreements, though. There are more states that honor our LTCFs.
    Last edited by unloved; January 28th, 2010 at 11:16 PM.

(Luzerne County)

We have state preemption: 18 Pa.C.S. § 6120: Limitation on the regulation of firearms and ammunition.

http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal/reciprocity.php

Click on Pennsylvania, choose non-resident, and the map will highlight the states that allow carry on a Pennsylvania license to carry a firearm (LTCF) for a non-resident of Pennsylvania. I cannot vouch that the results are 100% accurate, but it should serve as a good starting point. Keep in mind the double asterisk note at the bottom because it applies to Vermont, at least.

Thank you for the responses. I am thankful for my PA permit as I exercise my right quite frequently in IN. It has been a liberating experience.
    For those that may care, believe it or not we are getting pretty close to getting a carry law in IL. We have gained tremendous support from the people, the Farm Beureau and the Il Sherrifs Association. McDonald vs Chicago is going to give us a nudge as well. In the bill we are working on one clause is going to be that if a IL resident has a permit from another state they can carry on that permit for one year until they take the IL course.
    We are working on some recoprocity language too.

(Allegheny County)

that's great news. good luck with your fight to restore your right to bear arms (or some semblence of it, at least...like the rest of us) in illinois!
    F*S=k

(Pike County)

Good news IL is moving in the right direction. Now if only New Jersey and Maryland would do the same

(Allegheny County)

I hope this happens sooner rather than later - and that PA has reciprocity. Hopefully you can avoid the BS of requiring extra limits in large cities, but those people like to feel coddled so that may not be possible.

Keep us posted!
    FNX-9 Two-tone

We have a huge fight on our hands at the moment with the governor race. Our primary is next Tuesday and we have 1 nominee that flat out says publicly he is opposed to CCW and one who is full tilt on board. Both on the R ticket. So hopefully the right canidate gets the nod there and then can pull it off in the general.

If that all comes together we're looking at passing it in 2011 or 2012