Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR questions

Default AR questions

I'm looking at either purchasing or building my first AR. I would like to purchase one so as to be ready to go. However my budget doesn't currently fit that. I would like to build one but I have no idea where to start.

I've looked at several different AR platforms and really haven't found everything that I'm looking for in an AR. I think a build would let me get the features I want.

So where do I start with a build or do I just buy a basic model and work up?
    If only ammo was cheap. Wait. I reload. Darn .22 lr.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: AR questions

The best advice I can give you is to read more and post less (no offense but that is the best advice I can give anyone new to any forum). There is a ton of information here and the best thing to do is to just go through the forum and read. This will give you a good baseline of what is out there, what different people are doing with their rifles and should help give you some realistic ideas as to cost and usage.
    Once you have figure out what you want it for and how it's going to be used then we can help get you pointed in the right direction. Are you going to be using this as a plinker, for tactical training, for competition marksmanship or just taking it down to the junkyard to shoot rats. Each of these uses dictate different setups. One rifle can be used for all of them, but picking one or two will help give you some direction as to what you want to choose in regards to barrel and gas system length, optics and slings etc etc ad nauseum.
    Buying a full rifle from a reputable manufacturer will get you a reliable package ready to go out of the box and you will know the cost up front. Building it will generally cost more (unless you are going for a truely, as long as it goes bang, budget build) however this will take longer to get everything together choosing what parts you want, finding who has them in stock at what price, swapping out parts that you turn out not to like or got a really good deal on and who knows when, or even if you will ever finish.
    The thing to do right now would probably be to get out to a range with a friend that has a rifle or two and shoot them see how they feel (the rifle, not the friend). See what you do and don't like about them. Ask around for other people to let you try theirs out, heck even if it's someone a stall or two down at the range they probably won't mind letting you run a couple rounds through their rifle if you ask nicely and let them know you are looking to buy one of your own.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Montgomery County)

All good points. I think everyone here will agree that the first steps are defining your budget, and the role you want for your rifle. Those 2 points dictate what your options are.

After you get it built, the nice thing is the modularity of the platform allows you to gradually upgrade or change the role of your rifle at a lower average cost than any other platform. Good luck!

(Berks County)

buy yourself a quality stripped lower and go from there. There are infinate possibilities with a AR-15. I'm working on a build right now myself. I have a Stag lower that I'm putting together, but i haven't found an upper configuration quite yet.

Just shop around.

Deals can be had when you find them .

Thanks for the advice everyone. And I have sifted through many posts on this website before I posted this. I do not have a certain budget. If one of my college professors say I need a book for class that is $200, I'm out $200.

I am looking for a rifle to plink and use for self defense. Most of the time it would either be in the house or on the farm.

To straighten out my first question, would I be better off saving and then purchasing an AR that is ready to go or would I be better off buying pieces as I can and building the AR?
    If only ammo was cheap. Wait. I reload. Darn .22 lr.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by f14tcat691 View Post
    <snip>

To straighten out my first question, would I be better off saving and then purchasing an AR that is ready to go or would I be better off buying pieces as I can and building the AR?
    Well, it's human nature to want the "instant gratification" - could be tough to put it together with piecemeal purchases over a period of time unless you have the patience of Job. I know I don't.

And if you do have the constitution and limited budget to go slow - IMHO; read the current thread on "which AR lower to buy" and go snag the lower first.
    That's the controlled part and better to have one in-pocket, NOW.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by f14tcat691 View Post
    That's not really a question anyone can answer for you. You sort of have to decide which route you want to go. Obviously it would be easier to purchase one that's already built, but there are some positives to building one yourself.

For instance, by building one yourself, you would definitely feel a greater sense of accomplishment once it's finished, not to mention that you would end up with a better understanding of how the AR platform works. I've never built one myself, but apparently it's not very difficult, and there's tons of reference material on the internet of how to do it.

Proud member of:

(Allegheny County)

The prices of ARs have really came down lately and you can buy a quality AR for about $150 or so more than building one on a budget.

Unless your buying a complete kit, you will typically spend more on the build than a completed. Why? Because you will see a set of rails that you like or a different sight pair, etc. But in the end you will have want you want.

Buy a completed one now, then later build one. It's hard to have just one
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Lawrence County)

Well, assuming you're on a budget of under $700 then finding a complete gun is on the rare side (but not impossible.) Building a complete gun and assembling the upperr will take about $100 in tools and that will bump you up into the range where you could almost buy a shelf rifle.

The good news is that you could buy a stripped lower for about $100 and then a complete kit for about $550. That will get you a complete gun for about $650. These kits have the upper assembled and then all you need to do is assemble the lower. For this, all you need is a set of punches from the local Sears (or hardware store).

http://www.del-ton.com/

Check out the rifle kits and otions. To see the options and cost you need to add a kit to your cart (but you aren't obligated to buy).

Keep asking questions. The search here is kinda sketchy.

Lycangoforththrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast