Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    (Clinton County)

Default Re: Grice's Gun Shop

Quote Originally Posted by meanbeangreen View Post
    Took the long drive from Lock Haven to Clearfield today to head to Grice's. Aside from it being sunny and warm in Lock Haven to cold and snowing in Clearfield it was fine.

About the store. This was my second time going there and this time I gave myself more time to browse. Although the selection of guns and accessories there is fantastic, finally got to hold a Ruger LC9, which many stores in our area haven't received yet, I don't find the employees there to be all that helpful or friendly.

Of course I understand they must get 1000 people a day just popping in not necessarily buying anything making the store busy, but I was there to buy and all of the employees either seemed put out about my asking to see something or too busy eating.

Probably will be the last time I head to Clearfield for any gun purchases, not worth the trip unless you live very close I'd say, and their prices are competitive to say the best, not necessarily cheaper.
    Stay local. Go to National in Jersey Shore.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Indiana County)

Grice is a 140 mile round trip for me which I make about every other month. The only reason I put up with the trip is to browse the used guns. They get some nice stuff, and depending on which employee made the trade-in deal, the price can be very right. Now, on new firearms, reloading supplies and accessories Grice can be beaten by many local dealers.

As for service- you have to be a bit blunt and pushy at times. The younger guys are the most helpful of the bunch, and after a few trips there the same two usually wait on me-which is good. (One guy there is REALLY an arrogant little pain in the posterior- he only seems to like people who buy $5,000 rifles. I avoid him like typhoid.)

Needles to say, I also stop at Bob's Army Navy and the other gun store heading up 322 while I'm in Clearfield.
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER, GOA, SAF, PAFOA

(Indiana County)

Ok, it's been about 2 years since I've made the trek to Grices (actually it's not too far, about 45 mins).

My girlfriend was looking for her first handgun.
    We looked locally. She had decided on a SR9C or LC9.
    I suggested Grices due to the selection of handguns so we went up. I wanted her to be sure and to look at some other things that the locals didn't have.

The place was crowded but i was able to get to look at everything we wanted to look at right away, you just have to be willing to be slightly loud (not rude) to get someones attention when there are 30 others also crowding the counter.

They had about 8 people working the handgun counter, a guy up front near the reloading supplies, a guy working the scopes and two more at the hunting rifles. Two guys in the back by the EBRs and blackpowder guns.

After looking at a few things including a couple used S&W TSW's that i thought were well priced, we headed down to the Ruger stuff. The guy asked right away if we needed help and pulled out a LC9 and SR9C, checked them to make sure they were empty, laid them on the counter and waited for our questions.
    I knew the price on both since I had looked up the current flyer online and she decided on the two tone SR9C for $379. Nobody was beating that price.

We milled around while they did the PICS, about 15 mins and I seriously considered buying a new stainless 10/22 for $209 but am holding out for the compact model which they were out of stock on.

She was impressed by the number of guns and got to see some new stuff as well as a couple of .22's of which one will be her next purchase. (that or the SIG .380 "Rainbow" we looked at at Bob's)

Yes it was crowded, yes the ammo prices are still sucky, yes some of the other employees were "gruff", but for selection you can't beat it.

Most everything I looked at had a good price IMO, S&W M&P Sports for $650 and some scratch and dent shotguns for some very good prices.

We didn't get the usual up-selling attempt from them today which was a nice change.

it's worth a trip, but be sure to stop at Bob's as well, it's like a two 'fer.

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Ok, it's been about 2 years since I've made the trek to Grices (actually it's not too far, about 45 mins).

My girlfriend was looking for her first handgun.
    We looked locally. She had decided on a SR9C or LC9.
    I suggested Grices due to the selection of handguns so we went up. I wanted her to be sure and to look at some other things that the locals didn't have.

The place was crowded but i was able to get to look at everything we wanted to look at right away, you just have to be willing to be slightly loud (not rude) to get someones attention when there are 30 others also crowding the counter.

They had about 8 people working the handgun counter, a guy up front near the reloading supplies, a guy working the scopes and two more at the hunting rifles. Two guys in the back by the EBRs and blackpowder guns.

After looking at a few things including a couple used S&W TSW's that i thought were well priced, we headed down to the Ruger stuff. The guy asked right away if we needed help and pulled out a LC9 and SR9C, checked them to make sure they were empty, laid them on the counter and waited for our questions.
    I knew the price on both since I had looked up the current flyer online and she decided on the two tone SR9C for $379. Nobody was beating that price.

We milled around while they did the PICS, about 15 mins and I seriously considered buying a new stainless 10/22 for $209 but am holding out for the compact model which they were out of stock on.

She was impressed by the number of guns and got to see some new stuff as well as a couple of .22's of which one will be her next purchase. (that or the SIG .380 "Rainbow" we looked at at Bob's)

Yes it was crowded, yes the ammo prices are still sucky, yes some of the other employees were "gruff", but for selection you can't beat it.

Most everything I looked at had a good price IMO, S&W M&P Sports for $650 and some scratch and dent shotguns for some very good prices.

We didn't get the usual up-selling attempt from them today which was a nice change.

it's worth a trip, but be sure to stop at Bob's as well, it's like a two 'fer.
    379 is unbeatable and it is a great Ruger

(Lancaster County)

I just got the SR40C and I love it. I wanna get the LC9 to ad to the sr40c the LCP and sr22. Id also like to get the P345.

(Indiana County)

My wife and I made the 140 mile round trip to Clearfield yesterday stopping at Bobs's Army & Navy and Grice's.

Grice is completely out of small pistol primers and large rifle primers! They only have a few boxes of Winchester large pistol and some Federal Small rifle.
    This is pistol season. How do they "The Largest Gun Store in PA" not have their spring primer order? Good thing Bob's A&N was on the ball and had CCI primers for $27 per thousand.

Also- they are getting to be obnoxious dicks about their used prices. They have been no haggle for a couple years, which was OK because the used prices were fair. Now many of the used guns are the same price as brand new!

They have two Beretta Neo .22 Pistols in the used case. a 6 inch black with one mag $420 and a 6 inch 2 tone with one mag $259. Two cases down they have BRAND NEW Neo's for $230 with two mags! My wife was interested in one of the used ones- and pointed out it was only $10 less than new with just one $30 mag. Guy says Yeup and walked away. Also-they have an 80% or so recent manufacture Marlin 1984 .357 Mag lever rifle for $489. The new ones are $529 and can be found for $499 at other stores.

I had purchased nearly a dozen used guns from Grice over the past two years, but nothing in the past six months since they raised all the used prices to ridiculous levels. I now only go into Grice for reloading equipment, accessories and some ammo. Most of their staff is cocky and seem to be bothered by anyone not interested in a $3000 plus rifle or shotgun. The younger guy are the friendly ones.
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER, GOA, SAF, PAFOA

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300plus View Post
    My wife and I made the 140 mile round trip to Clearfield yesterday stopping at Bobs's Army & Navy and Grice's.

Grice is completely out of small pistol primers and large rifle primers! They only have a few boxes of Winchester large pistol and some Federal Small rifle.
    This is pistol season. How do they "The Largest Gun Store in PA" not have their spring primer order? Good thing Bob's A&N was on the ball and had CCI primers for $27 per thousand.

Also- they are getting to be obnoxious dicks about their used prices. They have been no haggle for a couple years, which was OK because the used prices were fair. Now many of the used guns are the same price as brand new!

They have two Beretta Neo .22 Pistols in the used case. a 6 inch black with one mag $420 and a 6 inch 2 tone with one mag $259. Two cases down they have BRAND NEW Neo's for $230 with two mags! My wife was interested in one of the used ones- and pointed out it was only $10 less than new with just one $30 mag. Guy says Yeup and walked away. Also-they have an 80% or so recent manufacture Marlin 1984 .357 Mag lever rifle for $489. The new ones are $529 and can be found for $499 at other stores.

I had purchased nearly a dozen used guns from Grice over the past two years, but nothing in the past six months since they raised all the used prices to ridiculous levels. I now only go into Grice for reloading equipment, accessories and some ammo. Most of their staff is cocky and seem to be bothered by anyone not interested in a $3000 plus rifle or shotgun. The younger guy are the friendly ones.
    Yea, we talked to a younger guy so maybe that's why we found it OK(the service).

We only looked at a few used guns, I perused the Marlin 336's and from what I saw Nathan in New Alex had better pries on the used ones.

I suppose maybe the staff at Grice's has started reading the classifieds here and figures if the people here are asking only $10 less for a used gun than the new price they can do it as well???
    Either that or they are taking a page from Gander Mountain.

I guess it depends on what you are after, we found what we wanted at a good price and I can't really complain.

I just bought a used Glock 20 from Grice's about a month ago for $400. I thought it was a reasonable price being that the gun looks as if it had been shot once and put back in the box.

(Venango County)

I've bought 2 rifles and 2 handguns from Grice...got good prices on all of them. Course, going to PSU helped cause I'd make a pit shop on the way home

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300plus View Post
    Grice just had their 'shooters sale' about a month ago. From what I hear, the place was a madhouse for 3 days. With primers at $22.90, they probably sold everything they had on hand and haven't got a huge resupply in yet. Which makes sense, why hurry up and build a huge stock when almost everybody got what they needed at the sale? I know I did.

Bob's is always a fun place to stop too. In about 2 weeks, I'm going to introduce my son-in-law-to-be to both Grices and Bobs. His local shop is French Creek Outfitters in Phoenixville, I think he'll like the ones in Clearfield.

Dale

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast