Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Shopping for an IDPA pistol

Hoping I can get some input from you all concerning a couple of choices of an IDPA gun I'm considering: S&W M&P9 Pro, or CZ75 P-01

Thanks for any experience you can share

ec

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Shopping for an IDPA pistol

Which class of IDPA do you want to shoot? The 9mm will only let you in Stock Service Pistol, if indeed you go with the 9.

The pistol you pick is just one very very tiny piece of the puzzle in shooting games well. You will need 5-8 magazines, a good holster, mag holders and lots of ammo.

The ammo may be the most important part. You will need lots and lots of practice. A case of 9mm (1000 rounds) can run from 250 to 350 USD. You will need a few before you get really good.
    Last edited by Steve_NEPhila; January 28th, 2010 at 03:18 PM.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ecooper View Post
    Hoping I can get some input from you all concerning a couple of choices of an IDPA gun I'm considering: S&W M&P9 Pro, or CZ75 P-01

ec
    do you have a handgun you carry and shoot now?

personally, from my POV, Im not playing to win any tournaments. I play because I enjoy it, and I like the extra practice time with my gun handling, in some aspects of the games. So I use my carry gun, and that determines what class Im in (CDP of IDPA and SS for USPSA).

For IDPA you wont need as many mags as IPSC/USPSA. 3 or 4 mags will be fine.

ETA: just saw your in Beaver. BVRP does IDPA matches starting in March if the weather permits, and they run a practice day on 3rd Saturdays now. Perhaps I will see you there.

(Montgomery County)

I'm also looking to get involved in IDPA type events for the first time this year, and I just picked up an M&P40 after I decided to sell my XD40. I've only had one opportunity to shoot it so far, but I'm loving everything about it. For whatever reason, the first time I had it out, I was already shooting better groupings than I ever did with my XD.

Proud member of:

(Lawrence County)

ec
    I'm a big fan of the CZ. You can do a lot with those guns.

For IDPA ona budget you only need three mags.....and yeah, you should be contacting BVRP for their practice days.

Lycanbutit'spersonalpreferencethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Monroe County)

I have an M&P pro series. In the past I had some issues with failures to extract, but it runs like a top now. You can get away with three mags without a problem. You will just have to load your mags after every stage.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Which class of IDPA do you want to shoot? The 9mm will only let you in Stock Service Pistol, if indeed you go with the 9.

The pistol you pick is just one very very tiny piece of the puzzle in shooting games well. You will need 5-8 magazines, a good holster, mag holders and lots of ammo.

The ammo may be the most important part. You will need lots and lots of practice. A case of 9mm (1000 rounds) can run from 250 to 350 USD. You will need a few before you get really good.
    You can also use a 9mm in ESP.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Allegheny County)

ec
    Either is an excellent pistol for IDPA. Hope you do come out to the BVRPC IDPA matches and practice. They run an excellent match. There are also a couple of other clubs that run IDPA matches in what I consider a reasonable driving distance of Allegheny/Beaver/Washington/Lawrence county area.

(Perry County)

While both are excellent guns and fine for IDPA, I believe the CZ 75 is a real sleeper. It has a steel frame and is somewhat heavier, also there isn't as much change in weight in your hand as you empty the mag (a polymer frame gets pretty light in the butt when you run all the bullets out). Also, the 75 is runnable as both a Single action/double action or as a double action, so you can shoot it in enhanced or stock service pistol. As I say, both are excellent, but I believe the CZ has a lot to offer and used CZ 75s are not expensive.

(Beaver County)

Wow! thanks for all of the responses! just a quick background note...I shot my first IDPA match last year at BVRPC. I suck at it, but want to settle on a gun and start improving and get classified. I used a CZ85 Combat last year...a fine gun to be sure, but the adjustable rear sights always manage to slice up my hand during a match. A minor reason to invest in a new gun, yes, but I've found myself in a situation where someone offered to pick up the tab of the gun of my choice (within reason!) in exchange for another gun I own that he really wants. So...my shooting buds suggested the M&P9 and everything I've read about it is pretty much positive. I also like the feel of the CZ75 P-01, although I've never shot it. Not to mention, I already have a couple of holsters for the cz and I'm pretty sure the mags are interchangeable. Even so, my buddies' advise carry a lot of weight with me so I'm leaning toward the M&P unless any of you guys tell me that the CZ has been touched by the hand of God or something. I've read write-ups that tossed around terms like "near perfect pistol" and I know from my 85 that malfunctions are very rare.

Thanks again, all of you!
    Happy Shooting...it's almost time to get back into full swing!
    ec

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast