Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bradford County)

Default Legalities of Firearm modification question

Greetings everyone,

after some searching and stuff i figured this would be the best place to pose this question hopefully someone will know.

I am currently itching for a 1911 style pistol, price is a major factor in what if any i go with. i will not purchase via the Internet, or mail order, so the purchase is a local available option. within a price range of under $700 is where i am looking. the 2 options currently available are:
    Taurus PT1911DT:
    http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...crumbseries=19

Citadel M-1911:
    http://www.legacysports.com/products/citadel/index.html

only down side/doubt with the Taurus would be the internal locking system Taurus has gone to, i have read both good and bad about it, but the little bad is enough to consider removing those parts from the gun prior to potential carrying of the gun.

the Citadel is lacking a few of the nice things i wanted front strap checkering, dual tone and full length guide rod, i am also concerned about part interchangeability since this is an imported gun.

Question #1 for the Taurus: Does anyone know or had the experience if the modification of removing those parts would run into a legal nightmare if the pistol would be used in SD?

Question #2 for the Citadel: does anyone know or have experience with this gun in regards to part changeability?

I know there are better out there this purchase is not for a race gun or an IDPA pistol, and the price and availability is a major factor at this time.

Thanks in advance

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Legalities of Firearm modification question

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Heart View Post
    Question #1 for the Taurus: Does anyone know or had the experience if the modification of removing those parts would run into a legal nightmare if the pistol would be used in SD?
    It is certainly possible that a prosecutor could attempt to use modifications to a pistol to cast you in a less than flattering light, but IMO, people worry about such things much more than necessary. A prosecutor could attempt to use the fact that you carry a gun at all to cast you in a less than flattering light.

Mas Ayoob's advice is to avoid two things:
    1) Disabling any factory installed safety; and
    2) Lightening the trigger pull significantly.

Even if you escape the criminal justice system, in most jurisdictions you are wide open to a civil suit The burden of proof there is much lower, and it's to the plaintiff's benefit to claim that it was accidental since that probably opens up the coffers of your homeowner's insurance. [Remember that they really want $$$, not justice.]

Some will disagree, but you have to make your own decision.

(Allegheny County)

What bad have you heard about the Taurus internal safeties? I assume you mean the ones that activate with the keys, yes?

Just don't use them and you shouldn't have a problem with them. They SHOULDN'T be ON when the gun is being carried anyway - so I fail to see how their removal could be used against you in court.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by falcn View Post
    What bad have you heard about the Taurus internal safeties? I assume you mean the ones that activate with the keys, yes?

Just don't use them and you shouldn't have a problem with them. They SHOULDN'T be ON when the gun is being carried anyway - so
    I fail to see how their removal could be used against you in court.

I'll help you "see"...

Child gets hands on handgun. Child dies from gunshot wound.

Any questions?

Note: HOW the child obtained it, or the manner in which said child was shot are irrelevant when it comes to being CHARGED with a "crime".
    Kid could have picked the lock on a safe, his visiting friend could have stolen it from the home, someone else could have pulled the trigger... end result is that someone is going to be screaming for the gun's owner to be charged.

It's funny how there are no legal requirements to lock up a firearm, yet when an accident happens, people are charged as a result.

I'm not saying that it's illegal to tamper with the locking mechanism, I'm just pointing out the realities of the world we live in.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bradford County)

Just don't use them and you shouldn't have a problem with them. They SHOULDN'T be ON when the gun is being carried anyway - so I fail to see how their removal could be used against you in court.
    there have been a few reports of the internal safety lock engaging during use rendering the weapon inoperable until you unlock the system. i had stumbled upon some talks of this happening while googling about the Taurus PT1911, some it was within the first 10 rounds and less, some between 100-500rds, and some never locking with use. and the majority of the reviews (other then the normal gun mag's), recommend changing the hammer and sear or what not out ASAP to prevent the possibility of this happening.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I'll help you "see"...

Child gets hands on handgun. Child dies from gunshot wound.

Any questions?

Note: HOW the child obtained it, or the manner in which said child was shot are irrelevant when it comes to being CHARGED with a "crime".
    Kid could have picked the lock on a safe, his visiting friend could have stolen it from the home, someone else could have pulled the trigger... end result is that someone is going to be screaming for the gun's owner to be charged.

It's funny how there are no legal requirements to lock up a firearm, yet when an accident happens, people are charged as a result.

I'm not saying that it's illegal to tamper with the locking mechanism, I'm just pointing out the realities of the world we live in.
    We weren't talking about children obtaining the gun and shooting themselves. I guess I should have been more specific - I fail to see how removing them could be used against you in court for shooting someone in self-defense. You SHOT them, you meant to shoot them, so any safeties that would be on the gun having been removed wouldn't really enter into it logically.

In your example of negligent parenting why wouldn't you use an external lock on the gun to prevent the child from being able to fire it if you removed the internal safety?
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by falcn View Post
    We weren't talking about children obtaining the gun and shooting themselves. I guess I should have been more specific - I fail to see how removing them could be used against you in court for shooting someone in self-defense. You SHOT them, you meant to shoot them, so any safeties that would be on the gun having been removed wouldn't really enter into it logically.

In your example of negligent parenting why wouldn't you use an external lock on the gun to prevent the child from being able to fire it if you removed the internal safety?
    Well the question was not posed in regards to negligent parenting practices. thats a given if something like that would happen. this was basically a question regarding the possible legalities if this gun was used in a SD manner, and if it was should i purchase the other to prevent the possibility, overall taking out the price and features of it, i personally would not like to see a $1k+ gun in an evidence locker if that situation was to happen, because until it is rules SD you are most likely not going to see that gun for a while. a $500-$700 one although is still a chunk of money, is easier to replace then the other.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    Mas Ayoob's advice is to avoid two things:
    1) Disabling any factory installed safety; and
    2) Lightening the trigger pull significantly.

3) Using reloads for your self-defense ammunition. (not that this is relevant to this post)

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Heart View Post
    there have been a few reports of the internal safety lock engaging during use rendering the weapon inoperable until you unlock the system. i had stumbled upon some talks of this happening while googling about the Taurus PT1911, some it was within the first 10 rounds and less, some between 100-500rds, and some never locking with use. and the majority of the reviews (other then the normal gun mag's), recommend changing the hammer and sear or what not out ASAP to prevent the possibility of this happening.
    A "few"?

I've seen 5 or 6 of them do it, personally.

IMO, it's a requirement to pull that piece of garbage out of that pistol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast