Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Revolver hunting pistol hunting permit or LTCF

I was reading the latest 2 threads involving revolvers and hunting and got to thinking. When I was younger I did not have my LTCF so I got a hunting permit that allowed me to carry a pistol only while hunting. I have since got my LTCF and I am sure my "pistol hunting permit" is expired. Does my current LTCF cover me while hunting with a revolver or do I need to renew my hunting permit? Thanks

Default Re: Revolver hunting pistol hunting permit or LTCF

Your LTCF works. They changed the law acouple of years ago.

Walt

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cowentz View Post
    I was reading the latest 2 threads involving revolvers and hunting and got to thinking. When I was younger I did not have my LTCF so I got a hunting permit that allowed me to carry a pistol only while hunting. I have since got my LTCF and I am sure my "pistol hunting permit" is expired. Does my current LTCF cover me while hunting with a revolver or do I need to renew my hunting permit? Thanks
    By "hunting permit", do you mean Sportsman's Firearm Permit? Your LTCF covers carrying a handgun while hunting. It does not cover taking game with your handgun. I'm not a hunter, so I'm not up on all the regulations, but AFAIK, you may not take, or dispatch, game with a semi-auto pistol under any circumstances.

(York County)

I guess I mean "Sportsman's Firearm Permit" it has been awhile and I didn't remember what it is call. I know you can't take game with a semi auto pistol. I just wanted to know if I carry a revolver while hunting does my LTCF allow me to take game with that revolver. Or do I need to get a "Sportsman's Firearm Permit" to legally take gave with a revolver. Thanks.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    By "hunting permit", do you mean Sportsman's Firearm Permit? Your LTCF covers carrying a handgun while hunting. It does not cover taking game with your handgun. I'm not a hunter, so I'm not up on all the regulations, but AFAIK, you may not take, or dispatch, game with a semi-auto pistol under any circumstances.
    Your LTCF does allow you to take game with a handgun, provided the handgun used is allowed during the season. Authorized handguns would be revolvers or single-shot (T/C Contenders, etc).

Semi-auto pistols are not authorized hunting weapons, so even if you have a LTCF you could not use it to take or put down game.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by cowentz View Post
    I guess I mean "Sportsman's Firearm Permit" it has been awhile and I didn't remember what it is call. I know you can't take game with a semi auto pistol. I just wanted to know if I carry a revolver while hunting does my LTCF allow me to take game with that revolver. Or do I need to get a "Sportsman's Firearm Permit" to legally take gave with a revolver. Thanks.
    No, you do not need to get the Sportsman's Permit. You are covered by your LTCF.

(Jefferson County)

A Sportsman Permit or a LTCF doesn't provide any authority or permission to hunt or take game with a pistol, nor is either required to do so. The Sportsman Permit and LTCF only provide coverage to carry in a vehicle or carry concealed. PA isn't like other states where a "pistol license/stamp" is needed to hunt with a handgun. The LTCF or SP is only needed for carrying concealed, carrying during a couple specific seasons, and transporting.

The LTCF is the catch all. The Sportsman Permit only applies during hunting/fishing/trapping/dog training with certain other criteria as well.

If you walk from your house to your fields/woods, while carrying openly, you need NO LTCF or SP. Except during muzzleloader and archery seasons, then you need a LTCF.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    If you walk from your house to your fields/woods, while carrying openly, you need NO LTCF or SP.
    Just be sure the handgun stays in the open. You can not cover it without one or the other of the two permits.
    The Lord Bless You

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by 41 Redhawk View Post
    Just be sure the handgun stays in the open. You can not cover it without one or the other of the two permits.
    You can conceal it with the Sportsman Permit while doing the sporting activities.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

Ok so my LTCF is all I need. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast