Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Blair County)

Default Help with minor adjustments

I have a Mossberg 802 Plinkster which is a nice little .22 but it does not have a way to attach a sling to it. Not only would I like to put one on but i've heard of different products you can use to coat a barrel to make it more weather resistant. I've had problems with rust before and it seems like its every time they get a little wet it happens again. Keep in mind I do clean them after they get wet but it just never seems to prevent it from occuring again. And finally, a friend mentioned a sound dampener? Sounds like a silencer but he says it reduces the noise by up to 55%. Does such a thing exist? I've had a skunk around my house alot and he needs dealt with before my dog gets it good. I just dont want to alarm the neighbors which arent real close but are somewhat older and a little more skeptical about people under 30.... well any info would be great, thanks

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Help with minor adjustments

For mounting a sling, I am not exactly sure if your stock is solid or hollow.
    If it is hollow and the butt plate is removable, you might be able to use a machine screw type stud.
    If it is solid, or the plate does not come off, you can use a wood screw type with a bit of epoxy.
    The same goes for the fore end, you will have to decide which will be the best choice.

http://www.uncle-mikes.com/products/...inescrews.html
    A local gunshop should have these in stock.

If nothing else, something like this might be what you need if you don't want to go the drill and screw route:
    http://www.sportsmans-depot.com/prod...ir-Rifles.html
    I use one of these Butler Creek ones for my shotguns and they should work no problem on your .22:
    http://www.butlercreek.com/products/shotgun_sling.html
    Same thing, any decent shop should have one, or something just like it in stock.

As for the rust, if you use a quality CLP like Breakfree to wipe down the steel, and do not touch it afterward with bare fingers, this should keep the rust away.
    The spray finishes like Duracoat are probably what you are thinking of, there is a member here that does it, but I cannot remember who.
    Brownells also sells spray finishes, but be sure to follow the instructions to the T or you will not get decent results. Some require baking in an oven. I do not suggest using your stove in the kitchen, it will smoke and stink.

As for the sound dampener, sorry, sounds like something I never heard of. Silencing a firearm requires a silencer as far as I know of. You can try CB ammunition, but it is advised to be careful when shooting it out of a rifle due to the low velocity, it is possible that a bullet may not exit the barrel. I have never had it happen, but it goes around the net that it can.

Last, if you shoot a skunk, hit it in the spine to keep it from letting loose as it convulses before dying. I suggest trapping it and disposing of it properly.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Help with minor adjustments

I can't help with your sling or barrel coating but I would like to chime in on the noise issue. Any attachment to quiet the muzzle is going to get you in trouble.
    Shorts, CB Caps and BB Caps are considerably quieter, BUT quiet doesn't make it legal if you're somewhere discharging a gun is against the law. Are you in a township with ordinances? Are your neighbors close enough that you'd be considered to be in a safety zone?

As far as shooting Cb or BB Caps in a .22 rifle, they have plenty of power to exit the barrel of a bolt action rifle. You have a semi-auto, I'm sure there's ample power to exit that barrel too, I don't think the action would rob it of that much power but I could be wrong. The problem with a semi is that there may not be enough power to cycle the action and even if there is, there may be feeding issues with such a short cartridge.

Next problem;
    If you do shoot a skunk you want to be sure it's a clean, instant kill. I wouldn't try it with a reduced power .22 cartridge. As a matter of fact I'd be reluctant to try it with a full power .22 LR cartridge. (again)

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.