Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Perry County)

Sweet guns, Jay! I'm probably one of the minority here who actually prefers a revolver to a semi-auto. I've owned a few semi-autos over the years, but really like the wheel gun for it's simplicity in operation and cleaning.

I know a lot of folks aren't fond of Taurus, but I have their model 65 .357 4" bbl in stainless steel and it's a very nice gun. It's too bulky for me for carry, which is why I'm looking for another for concealed carry.

I was looking at an XD45, but just can't convince myself to go back to a semi-auto. I did have a Taurus model 85 .38 for a while and thought about going back to one. Any recommendations on something similar in S&W? Also, what do you think about the airweights or titanium versus the regular steel? I'm only 5'8" and like 140, so I'm looking for something with a 2" bbl, preferably in .38. I see that several members here really respect your opinion and knowledge when it comes to revolvers, therefore I ask.

Dave G.

(Union County)

JAY

NICE 686's
    You've got good taste--should probably post a picture or two of a few L-frames but I'll pass.

Darn nice Smiths

grizz

(Bucks County)

To Grizz and Jay
    You guys have some nice hardware , I enjoyed the pics , Have you thought about a group photo of all your wheel guns ?
    Tas

(Montgomery County)

I dont have a group photo of all the wheel guns.

I like Revolvers, but prefer on the most part to carrying autos.
    I just cant reload the revols fast enough to make me comfortable....and i have practiced:-)

however, almost nothing seems to have the menacing appearance of a large caliber revolver, or even a 357.

the Performance Center 627 was a killer buy, i got it used, unfired for about $600, list is $1200 something.

when I'm out hunting, thats the sidearm i take with me.
    for avg carry, the sewer pipe bore of the 396 Mountain lite in 44spl seems just fine.
    specs:
    Model: 627
    Caliber: .357MAG/.38+P
    Capacity: 8 Rounds
    Barrel Length: 5"
    Front Sight: Gold Bead Front
    Rear Sight: Adjustable
    Grip: Wood Grips w/2nd Rubber Monogrip Included
    Trigger: .312 Chrome with Overtravel Stop
    Hammer: Chrome Tear Drop with Pinned Sear
    Frame: Large
    Finish: Matte
    Overall Length: 9 1/2"
    Material: Stainless Steel
    Weight Empty: 44 oz.

I also like the side of the barrel engraving:-)
    Last edited by JayBell; October 4th, 2006 at 09:46 PM. Reason: oops wrong link
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by dmg1969 View Post
    Any recommendations on something similar in S&W? Also, what do you think about the airweights or titanium versus the regular steel? I'm only 5'8" and like 140, so I'm looking for something with a 2" bbl, preferably in .38.
    Dave G.

I'd say stick with the steel/stainless steel models, not the new scandiums, or all titanum and such, they make for comfortable carry, but real uncomfortable shooting, especially if you LIKE shooting your guns alot.

I shot a scandium 44 mag, not doing that again, that hurt...lots:-)

an offset would be something with a titanium cylinder only, reduces SOME weight, but not enough to matter all that much when shooting, versus carry.

Also, if you decide to go with an all titanium model, look seriously at the taurus models, they make a fantastic gun now, and they actually beat SW to the punch with their titanium models.

also, get a 357 model, and shoot 38pl if you have to, that way you CAN use the stronger ammo if you wish, or practice with 38spl, and carry the stronger 357, remember, the short barrel kills velocity quick, and increases noise and flash, so might be better to make up for the lack of the 38 power in a short barrel, and go 357mag. At least its an option

I dont have a specific model to point you to, I'm 6'4" tall, and about 265, so i have the bigassedness to hide some truly ridiculous firearms on me, and snubby revolvers have never held a big part of my carry philosophy, I'm more likely to carry a 1911, or a 45acp compact HK or such.

sorry i cant point out something exact.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Perry County)

Thanks for the input JayBell. Yes, I am a big Taurus fan. The .357 I own now is my 4th Taurus firearm and I have always been happy with them.

Dave G.

(Union County)

[QUOTE=JayBell;7662]I'd say stick with the steel/stainless steel models, not the new scandiums, or all titanum and such, they make for comfortable carry, but real uncomfortable shooting, especially if you LIKE shooting your guns alot.

Jay agreed the new scandiums do make for comfortable carry. When I am not carrying my Delta Elite this is my primary carry revolver

the .44 Magnum 329PD. You're are right but how many times do people have to fire their CCW firearm for protection. I also have the all stainless steel 629 Mountain Guns (.44 MAG verison to practice with); or you can practice and shoot a lot of .44 Specials.

I shot a scandium 44 mag, not doing that again, that hurt...lots:-)

I understand that you practice to be proficent with carry firearm. The 329PD pictured above has over 10K rounds of 180 grain CorBon .44 Mag fired for practice. You can also practice with the .44 Special ammo in any .44 Mag. Yes with the .44 Mag ammo this revolver does sting a little when shooting.

an offset would be something with a titanium cylinder only, reduces SOME weight, but not enough to matter all that much when shooting, versus carry.

You're are right an offset to recoil is the addition of weight..you could have the titanium cylinder replaced with a stainless steel one to add the weight. This was done on some the first production model 329 PD's as Smith had problems with the titanium cylinders. Another way the recoil of the 329 PD is to add rubber grips---and for a side note the recoil reducing 500 Mag grips can be used on the 329 PD. A muzzle break or mag-na-porting can also help on recoil reduction.

Also, if you decide to go with an all titanium model, look seriously at the taurus models, they make a fantastic gun now, and they actually beat SW to the punch with their titanium models.

I have no experience with the taurus models so I won't comment on this

also, get a 357 model, and shoot 38pl if you have to, that way you CAN use the stronger ammo if you wish, or practice with 38spl, and carry the stronger 357, remember, the short barrel kills velocity quick, and increases noise and flash, so might be better to make up for the lack of the 38 power in a short barrel, and go 357mag. At least its an option

You have the same option with the .44 Special and .44 Magnums.

To sum it up I like the scandium guns--because of the weight reduction and ease of carry..I have just purchased a S&W Scandium Commander length 1911 style pistol in .45 ACP that will become a carry pistol after I fire 1,000 round through it without a malfunction

grizz
    Last edited by GRIZZLYBEAR; October 5th, 2006 at 08:51 PM. Reason: content

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12