Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Barrett M98B.338 or Barrett M99 416.

Im stuck in a rutt, im either gonna buy a Barret M98 .338 or Barret M99 416.

What one would you chose from??????

Oh im getting the BOR system aswell

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Barrett M98B.338 or Barrett M99 416.

Well, the M99 is cheaper, but the downside to that is it's only single shot. The M98B is a bit more expensive, but you have a 10 round magazine. I guess it really depends on whether or not ammo capacity is something that's important to you.

They're both awesome rifles, but if I had to choose, I'd probably go with the M99, but in .50 BMG

On a side note, I held a M99 the other day that was chambered in .50 BMG, and that thing was HEAVY. I knew they had some weight to them, but it surprised me just how much.

Proud member of:

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
    Well, the M99 is cheaper, but the downside to that is it's only single shot. The M98B is a bit more expensive, but you have a 10 round magazine. I guess it really depends on whether or not ammo capacity is something that's important to you.

They're both awesome rifles, but if I had to choose, I'd probably go with the M99, but in .50 BMG

On a side note, I held a M99 the other day that was chambered in .50 BMG, and that thing was HEAVY. I knew they had some weight to them, but it surprised me just how much.
    yea im headed towards the M99 338.......wish i could get the 50 BMG, its a "prescribed weapon" over here in australia. like i could get a 50 BMG but i couldnt use it for target shooting....gotta have a reason to own it
    Last edited by afrattner; January 28th, 2010 at 09:38 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by afrattner View Post
    yea im headed towards the M99 338.......wish i could get the 50 BMG, its a "prescribed weapon" over here in australia. like i could a 50 BMG but i couldnt use it for target shooting....gotta have a reason to own it
    Oh wow, I didn't even notice that you were from Australia. What other reason for owning it would there be other than target shooting? That makes no sense, but then again, neither does any gun control laws.

Proud member of:

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
    Oh wow, I didn't even notice that you were from Australia. What other reason for owning it would there be other than target shooting? That makes no sense, but then again, neither does any gun control laws.

Other reasons acording to the anti-guy lobby...killing women with child, killing kids, killing puppies with puppy dog eyes, killing 1,000,000 poeple with one shot, bring down fighter jets and destorying a abrams A1 A2.

Over here were trying to get 50 cal Comp setup so we can own them, however our the S.S.A.A (like your NRA) dosent support it among other thing like getting our semi's back

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by afrattner View Post
    Other reasons acording to the anti-guy lobby...killing women with child, killing kids, killing puppies with puppy dog eyes, killing 1,000,000 poeple with one shot, bring down fighter jets and destorying a abrams A1 A2.

Over here were trying to get 50 cal Comp setup so we can own them, however our the S.S.A.A (like your NRA) dosent support it among other thing like getting our semi's back
    That's just terrible. Sorry to hear that. I bet there are a lot of open spaces to shoot a .50 down there too. I guess if you live in a major city, maybe not.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    That's just terrible. Sorry to hear that. I bet there are a lot of open spaces to shoot a .50 down there too. I guess if you live in a major city, maybe not.

Thanks mate, I do live in the Adelaide CBD however its a 45 min drive to the nearist range that you could shoot that type of firearm. Not that far for the thing i love to do but wankers who make the laws dont know crap about firearms, like main reason for the 50. cal ban is its range but i can buy a 416. Barrett that shoots further....they should do some math.

When i visited PA late last year i was gonna shoot a 50. cal but with my other half's father funeral the time did not permit.

(Allegheny County)

Do you have to have a permit to buy guns? What are the storage laws there?

edit: If I had the choice, I would go with the M98B
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Do you have to have a permit to buy guns? What are the storage laws there?

edit: If I had the choice, I would go with the M98B

Ok, Here i go

State laws govern the possession and use of firearms in Australia. These laws were largely aligned under the 1996 National Agreement on Firearms. Anyone wishing to possess or use a firearm must have a Firearms Licence ( TAKES 9 MONTHS) and, with some exceptions, be over the age of 18. Owners must have secure storage for their firearms eg MADE OF 2mm STEEL AND FASTEND TO WALL & FLOOR

Before someone can buy a firearm, he or she must obtain a Permit To Acquire. The first permit has a mandatory 28 day delay before it is first issued. In some states (e.g. Queensland, Victoria, South Australia and New South Wales ), this is waived for second and subsequent firearms of the same class. For each firearm a "Genuine Reason" must be given, relating to pest control, hunting, target shooting, or collecting. Self-defense is not accepted as a reason for issuing a licence, though it may be legal under certain circumstances to use a legally-held firearm for self-defence. [4]

Each firearm in Australia must be registered to the owner by serial number. Some states allow an owner to store or borrow another person's registered firearm of the same category.

Firearms in Australia are grouped into Categories with different levels of control. The categories are:

Category A: rimfire rifle (not semi-automatic), shotguns (not pump-action or semi-automatic), air rifles, and paintball markers.

Category B: centrefire rifles (not semi-automatic), muzzleloading firearms made after 1 January 1901.

Category C: semi-automatic rimfire rifles holding 10 or fewer rounds and pump-action or semi-automatic shotguns holding 5 or fewer rounds. (Restricted: only primary producers, occupational shooters, collectors and some clay target shooters can own functional Category C firearms)

Category D: semi-automatic centrefire rifles, pump-action/semi-automatic shotguns holding more than 5 rounds (functional Category D firearms are restricted to occupational shooters; collectors may own deactivated Category D firearms).[2]

Category H: handguns including air pistols, deactivated handguns and guns less than 65 cm long. Target shooters are limited to handguns of .38 calibre or less.
    (Participants in "approved" competitions may acquire handguns up to .45", currently Single Action Shooting and Metallic Silhouette. IPSC shooting is not "approved" for the larger calibres, for unstated reasons. Category H barrels must be at least 100 mm (3.94") long for revolvers, and 120 mm (4.72") for semi-automatic pistols, and magazines are restricted to 10 rounds. Handgun collectors are exempt from the laws stated above.)

Category R/E: restricted weapons: machine guns, rocket launchers, assault rifles, flame-throwers, anti-tank guns, Howitzers, artillery, .50-calibre BMG weapons, etc. (Collectors in some states only, weapons must be comprehensively deactivated. Deactivated firearms are still subject to the same storage and licensing requirements as 'live' firearms in many states.)

NOTE: 99.9999999999% Most Australian Shooters can only get Class A&B...H class if there apart of handgun club for more than a 12months

So if i want to shoot 9mm comp i can only have 1 X 9mm handgun, one handgun per calibre comp.....but theres way around that

So thats Australian Gun Laws in a nutshell........Damm port arthur crap, might i add thats a FLAG if i ever saw one

more info here......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Australia
    Last edited by afrattner; January 28th, 2010 at 10:26 AM.