Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default handgun hunting - where to start?

hey everyobdy, i'm new to the forum and this is my first post!

my brother has been hunting for about two years now (archery/shotgun) and got his first deer (6-point) this past shotgun season. the more i think about it the more i'd like to go hunting as well. but i don't really want to hunt with a bow or shotgun. i'd like to try handgun hunting. so i have a few questions:

1) I live in Allegheny County, where it's illegal to hunt with centerfire rifles. Can I hunt with a centerfire handgun? or does that fall under the "no centerfire" law? if i can't go in Allegheny, where can i go (stay local) to handgun hunt?

2) what should i hunt with? the mother of all handguns S&W 500 would definitely be overkill for anything i'd go after (although i still think it'd be cool to try using one). i was thinking maybe a Ruger SBH in .44 or an S&W .460. thoughts/opinions? and, would it be worth it to handload?

3) What can i hunt in my area? I don't want to stay with just deer.

OK, in case you can't tell I'm kinda new to the hunting world. And FYI i live in western allegheny county. ALSO, i know most people will day "start with a shotgun - handgun hunting is way more difficult." i dont like shotguns - nothing against them, i'm just not a huge guy and have trouble handling a shotgun's recoil. and i have no interest whatsoever in archery.

any other thoughts/comments/opinions welcome!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: handgun hunting - where to start?

Quote Originally Posted by badass browning View Post
    hey everyobdy, i'm new to the forum and this is my first post!

my brother has been hunting for about two years now (archery/shotgun) and got his first deer (6-point) this past shotgun season. the more i think about it the more i'd like to go hunting as well. but i don't really want to hunt with a bow or shotgun. i'd like to try handgun hunting. so i have a few questions:

1) I live in Allegheny County, where it's illegal to hunt with centerfire rifles. Can I hunt with a centerfire handgun? or does that fall under the "no centerfire" law? if i can't go in Allegheny, where can i go (stay local) to handgun hunt?

2) what should i hunt with? the mother of all handguns S&W 500 would definitely be overkill for anything i'd go after (although i still think it'd be cool to try using one). i was thinking maybe a Ruger SBH in .44 or an S&W .460. thoughts/opinions? and, would it be worth it to handload?

3) What can i hunt in my area? I don't want to stay with just deer.

OK, in case you can't tell I'm kinda new to the hunting world. And FYI i live in western allegheny county. ALSO, i know most people will day "start with a shotgun - handgun hunting is way more difficult." i dont like shotguns - nothing against them, i'm just not a huge guy and have trouble handling a shotgun's recoil. and i have no interest whatsoever in archery.

any other thoughts/comments/opinions welcome!
    Welcome to the forum.
    First and foremost, you need to become proficient with your handgun at a range you will most likely shoot at. You need to have restraint if offered a shot beyond what you are proficient at.

At out to 50 yds, a .357 mag can also be a fair choice as would a .454. I use a Ruger Redhawk (.44) and handload for it. I have never JUST used the handgun. I use it to cover my weakside when I sit or in really heavy cover.

Mine has no optic but I have shot a deer at about 40 yds( one of those weakside presentations).

If pistol will be your primary or only weapon I would mount an optic.

Areas to hunt around you would be Beaver or Washington county. State gamelands are a start. Check the ones available on the PGC site. There are usually a pretty good # of hunters there on opening day.
    If you drive around in these areas, you may want to stop at a few large farms and see if you can get permission to hunt their land.

I'm not sure if PLAT books are available to see tracts of land and who owns them.

As far as game available, I only hunt deer so I can't give you many options aside from that.

Check the PA Game commission site for specifics or call them with questions about legal firearms. I am alsmost 100% sure you cannot use a centerfire pistol in Allegheny Co.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

First, Welcome to the forum. 27hand posted some good info for you to start with. I'm not sure either, but I do believe you can only use a pistol in a rifle area to hunt with, but with a LTCF you may carry while hunting. With that said, I have hunted more with my S&W 629 8 3/8" (44Mag) with a red dot site, and taken more deer with it then any of my rifles. Most were taken between 30 to 75 yards. I only had a problem with it once, that was because the lub I used was not for winter weather and the revolver froze up solid while I was on stand and missed a nice buck. Didn't do that again lol. I tried the S&W 460 with a scope but found it a bit heavy to use. You have alot of homework to do, but it's well worth it. Good luck and happy hunting.
    3%er "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.." -G. K. Chesterton

(Jefferson County)

I'm not sure about Allegheny Co's restriction, but overall in PA the only things you can hunt with a centerfire handgun larger than 23cal are deer, bear, groundhog, and coyote. Maybe crows too(cant remember). The rest of the critters require either shotgun with a certain size shot, 22cal or smaller rimfires, muzzleloaders of certain caliber, or centerfires 23cal or smaller - depending on the season and region.

With a centerfire handgun you're pretty gonna be stuck with deer, chucks, bear, and yotes. I'm not going to even count elk because they are lotto drawn licenses up for my area.

For PA 357mag to 44mag/45Colt+P is plenty enough to harvest any of the legal game. Anything more than that is more for ego and penis extension than necessity. A .460S&W will allow the 454 and 45Colt to be used, so there is some justification there. 44mag is a good choice for PA. It'll provide a bit more effective range, and if you happen across a bigger bear it will provide a bit better positive results than a .357mag to .41mag - without the excessive ammo prices, blast, and recoil of the .454 and larger guns. Also, you can often find a used Ruger (Super)Redhawk or (Super)Blackhawk 44mag for around $300 somewhere.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Washington County)

When you take your Hunter Education Class these questions can be asked and answered.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Lawrence County)

Go with the S&W .460 because not only does it fire .460, it also shoots .454 and .45 long colt...

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Buy 2 different revolvers. One should be a .22 for small game such as rabbits and squirrels, and one should be a higher caliber for taking deer, coyote, and bear. Either can be used for groundhogs, but shot placement is much more important if using the .22. Yes you can shoot a groundhog through the heart with a .22 long and it goes down pretty fast- I've done it with cage trapped ones which were full of adrenaline.

Keep in mind what is behind your target animal- don't use a handgun to shoot squirrels up in a tree if the downward tragectory of the bullet angle will hit something it shouldn't. Speaking of which, I know coon hunters shoot raccoons out of trees, but they likley aren't near any houses, barns, or roads. And... coon hunting is another activity you can do with a handgun. But you need a good coon dog too LOL. Though the most challenging hunting with a handgun would be predator hunting at night with calls and a red beam light... and turkey hunting ( daylight of course). The predator hunting would be for red fox, grey fox, raccoon, and coyote.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD40coyote View Post
    Buy 2 different revolvers. One should be a .22 for small game such as rabbits and squirrels, and one should be a higher caliber for taking deer, coyote, and bear. Either can be used for groundhogs, but shot placement is much more important if using the .22. Yes you can shoot a groundhog through the heart with a .22 long and it goes down pretty fast- I've done it with cage trapped ones which were full of adrenaline.

Keep in mind what is behind your target animal- don't use a handgun to shoot squirrels up in a tree if the downward tragectory of the bullet angle will hit something it shouldn't. Speaking of which, I know coon hunters shoot raccoons out of trees, but they likley aren't near any houses, barns, or roads. And... coon hunting is another activity you can do with a handgun. But you need a good coon dog too LOL. Though the most challenging hunting with a handgun would be predator hunting at night with calls and a red beam light... and turkey hunting ( daylight of course). The predator hunting would be for red fox, grey fox, raccoon, and coyote.
    My BIL uses 22 shorts (rifle)for squirrel and shoots more than anyone I know.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

You can also use shorts in a revolver for .22 long.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Monroe County)

FTW...is that you? look what the cat dragged in from U know where? LOL

PS...Hi Rich.

Am I restricted to the Lounge?
    Last edited by PADingo; January 29th, 2010 at 11:28 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast