Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Cambria County)

Default Re: handgun hunting - where to start?

When I hunt with just handguns I carry my Encore .308 2x6 scope for longer shots and either my 44 redhawk or S&W 610 for close shots.I agree with getting a 22 for small game.It's very good practice.

(Washington County)

Default Re: handgun hunting - where to start?

Welcome to the forum. I have a S&W 460 and shot a doe with it this year. It definitely does a job on deer. She didn't take a step.

If recoil and weight is a concern for you then maybe the 460 isn't the right choice for you either. My 8 3/8" barreled 460 weighs 5.75 pounds and the recoil is pretty significant as far as wheel guns go. However, using 45LCs out of it is like shooting a .22 handgun. Almost NO recoil. Makes it a really nice plinker.

No matter what you decide on getting you need to practice. You owe it to the deer to kill it quickly, ethically, and without suffering. In my opinion wounding an animal is one of the worse things I can do as a hunter. I try to eliminate all variables that I have control over to minimize that chance.

If you can, put your hands on a bunch of revolvers. Find one that feels "right" in your hands. Grip, weight, balance, and sight radius all come into play here. After you made your purchase, go shooting. That's the fun part. As you shoot concentrate on putting constant, increasing pressure on the trigger while keeping the gun on target. When the gun fires it should surprise you. That will be your most accurate way of shooting. With practice you will learn how to squeeze the trigger without moving the sights while you do so.

Once you start hunting: Don't get discouraged. Everyone wants to get a deer. Some do and some don't. Hunting is a learning process. It doesn't happen over night. Even the "experts" are constantly being humbled and learning from their experiences. Remember the key is to learn. If you can find active feeding areas and bedding areas and the travel routes between them your well on your way.

Good luck and have fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12