Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Volunteer Opportunities in Law Enforcement?

Anyone out near the Airport area involved with any law enforcement like North Fayette, Robinson, etc? I am looking for some volunteer opportunities. I know a friend of my works as a volunteer officer a day or so a week with the Allegheny County Sheriff, but if I was going to volunteer for something like that I would rather make a local contribution to my time rather than patrolling the drunks on the South Side. Plus, with the Sheriffs department you have to freaking buy everything like gun, duty belt, uniform, pay for training etc. I would think if I was volunteering my time they could provide SOMETHING other than work

I think it would be interesting work and give me the sense that I am doing something worth wild on my days off. I currently work 4, 10 hour days so I am off 3 days a week and have some spare time.

Thanks,

Default Re: Volunteer Opportunities in Law Enforcement?

I doubt your going to find a PD that will give you all your stuff, and pay for training when your just going to volunteer. alot of small department these days rely just on part time guys to get away from paying certain benefits and such, pick up a shift or two a week. I'd suggest looking into that, your not going to do anything but pick up trash as a volunteer.

Question Re: Volunteer Opportunities in Law Enforcement?

Huh? Volunteer? I would think to act in any actual LEO position at a municipal department, you would have to complete an ACT 120 course. The training is expensive, LONG, and in depth. If you complete the training, why not just try to get hired full time. Without the training, a volunteer would be a tremendous liability to the township, boro, city, etc. You mentioned that your buddy does this for the ACSD. What does he actually do, and what kind of training did he get?
    Jules

(Allegheny County)

He went through like 5 days of training with the ACSD and then I think a couple weekends. Not totally sure of the total of the training but it was extensive. The web site is http://www.acsdreserve.org/ Check it out. I guess they patrol down on the south side and do special events type security and such.

(Allegheny County)

i was a special deputy for acsd for awhile. i had alread done my 120 and thought that this would be a good way to meet local chiefs and become known. what a mistake, those guys are incredibly political and backstabbing. what a crowd of toads.

the most senior officers were a bunch of incompetant, snotty, bunch of unprofessional, untrained and in at least 2 cases i know of personally, illiterate.
    they were totally untrained and only political cronyism allowed them to hold the positions they had been appointed to. they were extremely jealous of any trained or experienced personel, and would hrfrass you to no end. including calling at the last minute to tell you details had been canceled and then marking you as a now show.

this was the worst group of clowns that i had the misfortune to ever be associated with in a long career in the leo profession.

mpi

(Allegheny County)

I sent an e-mail out last week about the volunteer sheriff reserve unit, have yet to hear back. 80-120hrs a year, and helping out the county sounds good to me, also looks great on a resume.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Skuggi View Post
    I sent an e-mail out last week about the volunteer sheriff reserve unit, have yet to hear back. 80-120hrs a year, and helping out the county sounds good to me, also looks great on a resume.
    I agree the resume thing and experience is great but for all the gear you have to purchase, I just could not do that. Between the duty belt/hoster, firearm (short list of approved Glock's) , uniform, misc, that runs into a nice amt of change. Then if you wanna get a vest (which they encourage) that is more cash.

IF you want to get a vest?????????????
    You guys are out of your minds.
    Jules

(Allegheny County)

i very strongly suggest that you do not get involved with the acsr. you will regret it.

mpi

(Allegheny County)

Well I only know the 1 person that is involved with them and he loves it. But like I said in my previous post, as much as I would love to do something like that, I simply cannot afford to invest around $1300 on a "volunteer".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast