Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ruger LCP 380 ??

Wife carries a 642 which is good but she is too small for it. It looks Like she has a SW500. It is funny but she wears it. I ordered her a 380 LCP which is the only gun smaller. I do prefer the simple no hammer 642 for her since it is so simple and deadly reliable (reliably deady?? ). IMO There is no better ccw when you need it all day and only have a tshirt on.

So other than the recall are there any problems that ruger can't iron out on this?

Oh yea I know 380 ammo is sold by the troy ounce and scarce.

So ???????

thx JR

(York County)

Default Re: Ruger LCP 380 ??

The LCP is a nice little gun. It does take a firm grip to shoot it, so she'll want to practice at 10-15 feet. Since this has a polymer frame, limpwristing is possible...so I emphasize the firm grip comment.
    Also, with any gun, try to get a couple hundred rounds through it before carrying. I know that can be tough considering the scarcity or .380 ammo.
    Mine hasn't skipped a beat, so far. I'm feeding it ball ammo for practice and one mag load of Hornady Critical Defense (when I practice).
    The only thing I've noticed is you really need to let that slide fly forward when chamber the first round or I may get a failure to feed. Or, use the slide release (I don't, I pull the slide back and release it).

How does she intend to carry the gun?
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    The LCP is a nice little gun. It does take a firm grip to shoot it, so she'll want to practice at 10-15 feet. Since this has a polymer frame, limpwristing is possible...so I emphasize the firm grip comment.
    Also, with any gun, try to get a couple hundred rounds through it before carrying. I know that can be tough considering the scarcity or .380 ammo.
    Mine hasn't skipped a beat, so far. I'm feeding it ball ammo for practice and one mag load of Hornady Critical Defense (when I practice).
    The only thing I've noticed is you really need to let that slide fly forward when chamber the first round or I may get a failure to feed. Or, use the slide release (I don't, I pull the slide back and release it).

How does she intend to carry the gun?
    +1 Have not had a single problem with mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(York County)

They are pretty reliable. Watch out when shooting that she doesn't hit the magazine release with her thumb, it has been known to cause jams. Keep the thumb pointed straight and up to avoid this.

(Montgomery County)

Good little gun. Mine had trouble when I got it, but I sent it back for the recall and had them fix the feeding issue. No problems since. Since it is so small, I've found it easier to shoot one-handed. My only complaint now would be the loooong trigger pull. I understand that this is the only safety, but it's just a bit long.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Monroe County)

All of the above. Get ammo and fire away. Per Ruger, stay away from +P ammo. People say they shoot it, but if it goes bang whos stuck with the bill?
    Carry mine in the pocket-dont know its there. Good luck.

Check out this website for alot of info--- www.elsiepeaforum.com

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by jabo View Post
    All of the above. Get ammo and fire away. Per Ruger, stay away from +P ammo. People say they shoot it, but if it goes bang whos stuck with the bill?
    Carry mine in the pocket-dont know its there. Good luck.
    Can you cite where Ruger says don't use +p ammo? AFAIK any common sense gun owner who carried would run +p in their .380...

ETA: I really want to pick one of these up, but due to price of ammo, and ammo availability I'm leaning towards a .38 or used .357.
    Last edited by jcabin; January 27th, 2010 at 12:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Northampton County)

I have met 7 or 8 of these at the range or in my classes. Good little gun.

(Bucks County)

I have one and like was said before, It has a long trigger pull. It also kicks pretty hard due to the light weight and being an overall very small pistol. That being said, I have no doubt that if I ever needed to use it the gun would due some major damage. I have had mine for a little over a week and I have carried it on me everyday in my pocket and I don;t even know it is there.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    Can you cite where Ruger says don't use +p ammo? AFAIK any common sense gun owner who carried would run +p in their .380...

ETA: I really want to pick one of these up, but due to price of ammo, and ammo availability I'm leaning towards a .38 or used .357.
    This is from the instruction manual on rugers website.

The RUGER® LCPTM pistols are chambered for the .380 Auto cartridge. Do
    not attempt to load any other cartridges into the magazine or chamber of the
    pistol. Do not use “+P” ammunition.
    The RUGER® LCPTM pistols are compatible with standard factory ammunition
    loaded to U.S. Industry Standards, including hollow-point loads loaded in brass
    or aluminum cases. No .380 Auto ammunition manufactured in accordance with
    NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards is known to be beyond the design limits or
    known not to function in these pistols. Do not use “+P” ammunition.

Look at some sites where ammo is shot from specific handguns. Here is a link from the elsiepeaforum.com read it and make your own determination.
    http://www.citybillys.com/380%20data.htm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast