Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: AK?

(Montgomery County)

Default AK?

I know there are several different countries who make AK rifles, are any of them better than others? Or any that are just junk?
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.

(Lancaster County)

Thumbs up Re: AK?

Quote Originally Posted by mudd View Post
    I know there are several different countries who make AK rifles, are any of them better than others? Or any that are just junk?
    Bulgarian, Russian, and Chinese AK's are very high quality... Polish and Hungarian are also very good. Egyptian and Yugoslavian can be quite good. Romanian AK's are considered lower on the quality scale.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: AK?

You are gunna get awhole LOT of opinions, but in a nutshell MEH is correct.
    The 3 he listed are either usually better quality, {russian}, or heavier receivers,{ Bulgy, and Chinese.}

All countries SHOULD function fine.

Just watch out for "homebuilt" stuff.

(Montgomery County)

The reason I'm asking is that I just read my latest issue of American Rifleman and it had an article on AKs in Iraq. They mentioned something about the barrels on being chromium (sp?) covered and I was curious which other versions would be a good buy.
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.

Seriously now folks, do we REALLY have to do this thread for the bazzilionth time?

Try the search feature, as I said this topic has been done to death!

My Wasr has a chrome barrel. And define "better"? My cheap ass Romanian goes bang and is quite accurate.

(York County)

Also depends if you want a pretty one (Hungarian FEG's are pretty and a nice trigger) or a shooter (get a MAK-90, not pretty but robust).
    These are pretty simple rifles, so any one will be a decent shooter, but not super accurate.

You know, when I first got into AK's (early 90's), the Egyption MAADI's were considered the worst and the Eastern European guns (including Romanian) were the better choice...times change and so do peoples' opinions...because that's all you're going to get here...
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Lancaster County)

The reason I'm asking is that I just read my latest issue of American Rifleman and it had an article on AKs in Iraq. They mentioned something about the barrels on being chromium (sp?) covered and I was curious which other versions would be a good buy.
    The only AK's (that I know of) that don't have chrome-lined barrels are Yugoslavian AK47's and AK kits built with American made barrels.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    Also depends if you want a pretty one (Hungarian FEG's are pretty and a nice trigger) or a shooter (get a MAK-90, not pretty but robust).
    These are pretty simple rifles, so any one will be a decent shooter, but not super accurate.

You know, when I first got into AK's (early 90's), the Egyption MAADI's were considered the worst and the Eastern European guns (including Romanian) were the better choice...times change and so do peoples' opinions...because that's all you're going to get here...
    I think the main attraction to Egyptian AK's is the fact that they're so close to the Russian AKM...

The difference between a good AK and a great one is a narrow range, and highly subjective.

In terms of function, the only functional problems I recall are trigger slap caused by improperly dimensioned disconnectors (details & fix) and front sight misalignment.

Front sight and gas block alignment being checked on a Romanian SAR-2. Note how laser line passes through the exact center of the front sight post, the center of the gas block and exactly bisects the rear sight.

I have heard some complaints about bullet guide issues, but I haven't personally seen this. Trigger slap is an easy fix, front sight or gas tube misalignment is also end-user correctable but requires skill with various tools (including a drill press) and precision alignment.

Another factor is cosmetics. Earlier AKs built on the original high capacity receivers from the country of origin has magazine well dimples.

Magazine well dimple (circled).

Later imported WASR modified to accept high capacity magazines and lacking a magazine well.

The recent batch of Romanian AKs that were imported as single-stack and subsequently modified (back?) to high capacity often lack the magazine well dimple. Some of these double-modified guns had magazine wobble from excess clearance, but from what I'm reading here and elsewhere it seldom causes jamming.

There's far too much in this topic to cover in one post, so this is a very broad summary of what's out there now. I suggest giving some thought about what you want, and about your intended purpose. If all you need is a generic utility grade semi-auto centerfire, a plain WASR is fine. If you're after historically accuracy, you'll need to be a little picky, and expect to pay more $$.

Also, don't expect to be wowed by precision fit and high finish. Most were crudely finished, most early Soviet examples were simply painted black. They were made to do a job, not win engineering aesthetic awards.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast