Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Whats your "backup" plan?

So I was in the worst place a hunter could be this year...

I spine shot a buck high and back, he was still alive and wouldn't have died, he also couldn't move. I shot again and took out a lung but he wouldn't die.

after almost an hour I had my buddy put another arrow into the buck, took out the other lung and he finally died.

Whats your contigency plan? I've head "I'll go slit its throat", "Stab it in the chest"...

what would you do if you have a mature buck, on the ground suffering but still very aware and very pissed
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Whats your "backup" plan?

shoot it with bow or rifle??
    In God We Trust............................

Quote Originally Posted by ironhorse View Post
    shoot it with bow or rifle??
    Dred bow hunts sir.

I carry a revolver these days, so if it was within season...I'd just use that to finish up. Of course...I havent been hunting since I was 12. Gathering equipment now etc. Sighted my bow in the pouring rain the other day.

(Lawrence County)

Same as rifle.

Base of the skull with your primary weapon.

You owe it to the animal for the cleanest, fastest kill with the least amount of distress.

Lycanneverwaitthatlongagainthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Delaware County)

Do whatever suits you best. I personally prefer to clib down from my stand after a bad shot and go home. Come back later when everything is settled. Still be prepared to make a final kill shot but by this time the animal has expired.

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    So I was in the worst place a hunter could be this year...

I spine shot a buck high and back, he was still alive and wouldn't have died, he also couldn't move. I shot again and took out a lung but he wouldn't die.

after almost an hour I had my buddy put another arrow into the buck, took out the other lung and he finally died.

Whats your contigency plan? I've head "I'll go slit its throat", "Stab it in the chest"...

what would you do if you have a mature buck, on the ground suffering but still very aware and very pissed
    There is no way in hell, I'm getting that close to a wounded buck.
    What you did, would be the proper way to do it.

BTW, why did you only have 2 arrows?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    There is no way in hell, I'm getting that close to a wounded buck.
    What you did, would be the proper way to do it.

BTW, why did you only have 2 arrows?
    I had 3, first arrow hit the spine and stuck (no pass through), second arrow clipped a branch and sliced the back of the animal (rushed it, didn't take my time... stupid) and the arrow broke when it hit a tree, third arrow passed through but because of the angle it only hit one lung and didn't fully exit so it was hanging out of the back of him

I only carry 3 arrows because thats how many broadheads you get in a pack. I fully intend to never need 3 again, or 2 for that matter

- can't use a pistol during archery season or I would have

- I expected him to bleed out when I put the arrow through its lung, I thought I double lunged it but I didn't. when I opened him up there was barely any blood inside, he just refused to die, his one lung was completely gone from him moving around with the arrow in it. the other lung was punctured cleanly by my buddy and it still took a good 5 - 10 mins for him to expire with out either lung, It was unreal

it really was the worse hunting experience I've ever had
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

btw - this scenario can easily be played out with a rifle if a failure happens on your follow up shot (assuming you need one), equipment fails in the field... so think about it, I never did until it happened, lukily I had a hunting buddy with me who was able to finish it off, other wise I would have most likely broken the law and used my sidearm ot finish it off

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    I had 3, first arrow hit the spine and stuck (no pass through), second arrow clipped a branch and sliced the back of the animal (rushed it, didn't take my time... stupid) and the arrow broke when it hit a tree, third arrow passed through but because of the angle it only hit one lung and didn't fully exit so it was hanging out of the back of him

I only carry 3 arrows because thats how many broadheads you get in a pack. I fully intend to never need 3 again, or 2 for that matter

- can't use a pistol during archery season or I would have

- I expected him to bleed out when I put the arrow through its lung, I thought I double lunged it but I didn't. when I opened him up there was barely any blood inside, he just refused to die, his one lung was completely gone from him moving around with the arrow in it. the other lung was punctured cleanly by my buddy and it still took a good 5 - 10 mins for him to expire with out either lung, It was unreal

it really was the worse hunting experience I've ever had
    I wasn't kicking you, Bud, just curious, you didn't mention the third.

Yeah, that's a shitty situation to be in.......

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Same as rifle.

Base of the skull with your primary weapon.

You owe it to the animal for the cleanest, fastest kill with the least amount of distress.

Lycanneverwaitthatlongagainthrope
    I agree with this completely. Last resort on a live animal is slit the throat hooves are sharp and antlers are just as lethal.
    Just out of curiousity was the spine shot intentional or accidental?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast