Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Kahr - Wolff Springs

Anyone try the Wolff Reduced Striker Springs in their Kahr to reduce the trigger pull a little bit?

Striker Springs - Reduced Power - W. C. Wolff Company offers reduced power striker springs (firing pin springs) for Kahr pistols rated at 5 pounds. The factory striker spring is 6 pounds. This spring will help improve the trigger pull.

Fits All Kahr Models
    Last edited by falcn; January 26th, 2010 at 03:14 PM.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Kahr - Wolf Springs

I advise against this, very much. I own and have shot quite a bit a Kahr MK9. 6 lbs. is as light as you should go considering the physics of a striker fired pistol. There is very little mass behind that striker, thus it requires greater velocity to insure reliable primer strikes.

If you do put the reduced power spring kit in, do not be surprised if you get FTF malfunctions.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Kahr - Wolff Springs

So have you actually tried them in a Kahr?

As cheap as they are I figure I might just experiment with them and see how it feels.

I've read some reviews in other forums where people did the switch and reported no FTF issues at all after more than a year of use.
    Last edited by falcn; January 26th, 2010 at 03:44 PM.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Montgomery County)

I have had some FTF issues with the stock springs in my MK9. Thus my advisement not to switch to lower power springs. My gunsmith is changing out the old springs for new ones. If the stock springs wear quickly, lighter ones will fail more quickly.

If your Kahr is for carry (Kahr pistols are outstanding carry pieces, not so much as range guns) I would not recommend it. But of course, it is entirely up to you.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    I have had some FTF issues with the stock springs in my MK9. Thus my advisement not to switch to lower power springs. My gunsmith is changing out the old springs for new ones. If the stock springs wear quickly, lighter ones will fail more quickly.

If your Kahr is for carry (Kahr pistols are outstanding carry pieces, not so much as range guns) I would not recommend it. But of course, it is entirely up to you.
    Were your FTF after some number of rounds (a lot of use) or right out of the box?

I have not had any FTF issues and am up to a couple thousand rounds.

If I have issues with the springs I will report them.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Washington County)

so Falcn did you go with the reduce power springs?
    "My Name is Earl" ;-)

(Allegheny County)

Is there another part of the trigger system where you can reduce the trigger pull weight on a Kahr?

(Allegheny County)

I'm running the reduced recoil and striker springs in my K9. No failures to date, but I have a bunch and I can swap them in if needed. It's starting to smooth out the more I shoot it so I may try the full power again and see if I like it. As long as the gun shoots go for it, but if it's a carry gun consider keeping track of the round count and replace it often. Cheap insurance.

~B

(Cambria County)

Leave the spring alone. Check out this video of me shooting IDPA with my KAHR CW9. The beginning is normal. It is the "quadruple tap" as my buddy put it at the end that is neat. The spinning target was moving fast. So, I just let it rip with the KAHR. I got a Zero and a One as scores(lower is better). The best part is that the next two shots were still center mass (just in the back of the target). So, I got off four shots all center mass in no time at all. The trigger is different. But it really isn't that hard once you shoot the gun and get use to it. I wouldn't mess with the spring. Just shoot it and get use to it.

The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Allegheny County)

I did replace the spring - thought I posed that on here (I did in the Gunsmithing section - link at end of post)

The gun shoots fine after the spring replacement. This is actually a very simple weapon to "detail" strip. There is a very good video online for how to take down the slide components. It's not hard. I am an Engineer and we like taking things apart to understand them

To answer the question about other springs: The only other place you can reduce the trigger pull would be the trigger pigtail spring - but I am not gonna bother.

I haven't taken it out to the range really since the first run through due to the weather and work. I need to get out this week if I can.

I was hoping to go tonight, but got stuck working on my wife's new to her commuter bike. Damn thing won't start now that we got the suspension all sorted out. Always something!

One thing I found when I had the gun apart to replace the spring was that the striker pin channel was FULL of machining crud - metal chips actually that they evidently didn't clean out at the factory. Anyone having light strike problems should probably check for gunk the striker pin channel. I bought 3 of the springs since they were so cheap. I still have the factory spring, so if I want to swap back it will be a quick job.

Here is where I reported on the fact that I did change the springs:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/gunsmithing-4...-torx-bit.html
    Last edited by falcn; February 24th, 2010 at 10:26 PM.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast