Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refinish 1911

(Allegheny County)

Default Refinish 1911

Since I'm sending my 1911 back to Springfield for some warranty work, I'm considering having them refinish it. Its a blued pistol that I bought even though I really wanted stainless. I couldn't pass up the deal, though, so I settled on the finish. I was looking at SA's custom shop worksheet and I notice there is an option under the refinishing section that says "Satin (matte) finish stainless steel pistol" I'm wondering whether they can put a stainless finish on a gun that is currently blued. Any ideas?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Refinish 1911

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeM31 View Post
    Since I'm sending my 1911 back to Springfield for some warranty work, I'm considering having them refinish it. Its a blued pistol that I bought even though I really wanted stainless. I couldn't pass up the deal, though, so I settled on the finish. I was looking at SA's custom shop worksheet and I notice there is an option under the refinishing section that says "Satin (matte) finish stainless steel pistol" I'm wondering whether they can put a stainless finish on a gun that is currently blued. Any ideas?
    I think your best bet is to let them do the work, get it back, and send it to robar for the np3 finish.

http://www.robarguns.com/np3.htm

heard nothing but amazing reviews about this finish.

(Westmoreland County)

Simple answer no. Your gun is made of Carbon Steel not Stainless. Stainless is the metal, not a finish. If you want the look of stainless, then you probably want to get the gun hard chromed.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Jefferson County)

As mentioned above, stainless steel is the type of metal of the gun - yours would be carbon steel. Polished or satin is what they did to it.

There are nickel plating options in the world that will offer a similar look and offer some better protection against rusting.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lawrence County)

HARD CHROME.

Lycanandneverlookback!thrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    As mentioned above, stainless steel is the type of metal of the gun - yours would be carbon steel. Polished or satin is what they did to it.

There are nickel plating options in the world that will offer a similar look and offer some better protection against rusting.
    Chrome or nickle plating applies a metal to the surface ot the gun. It can peal or flake off. Hardchrome is applied into the metal and will not peal.

Hard chrome is better.

Also, make sure it is done by someone who knows what they are doing. If you do it wrong, the gun will not go back together right, especially if the 1911 is tight to start with.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Allegheny County)

How is the hard chrome in terms of rust and abrasion (mostly holster wear) resistance?

(Lawrence County)

How is the hard chrome in terms of rust and abrasion (mostly holster wear) resistance?
    Tough as nails. Rockwell 70ish. Pretty much the strongest finish you can get.

Lycanitkicksassthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(York County)

I agree with chemical, Robar's NP3 Finish is the best on the market and it has great lubricating properties. You will NEVER wear it off and it does not flake.

(Allegheny County)

Lycan, where do you go for hard chrome work? I see SA offers that and since it's already there, I thought I might just get it done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast