Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: what went wrong? pics included

Quote Originally Posted by AR-15 Outlaw View Post
    yes and its a pmc once fired casing that i got from a factory box of ammo. and the rim measure .421.

for comparison here are some measurements from a round loaded with starline brass

front .418
    back .415
    rim .422
    I'm no expert in 10mm but it sounds like a very tight sizer -- looks too small and a reverse taper in the case? Weird. (but has nothing to do with your issue).

.418 behind the bell should still be enough to seat a bullet without crushing the case.

I think Lycanthrope hit the nail on the head. Seat/crimp die is set way too low in the press.

The written instructions you mentioned for adjusting the seater die do not jibe with how it "should" be done and are also contrary to Lee's website instructions. Like I said I don't want to steer you wrong on how to adjust the Lee stuff but it would probably be worth your while to give Lee a call and get that straightened out. I would bet that's the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Philadelphia View Post
    I'm no expert in 10mm but it sounds like a very tight sizer -- looks too small and a reverse taper in the case? Weird. (but has nothing to do with your issue).

.418 behind the bell should still be enough to seat a bullet without crushing the case.

I think Lycanthrope hit the nail on the head. Seat/crimp die is set way too low in the press.

The written instructions you mentioned for adjusting the seater die do not jibe with how it "should" be done and are also contrary to Lee's website instructions. Like I said I don't want to steer you wrong on how to adjust the Lee stuff but it would probably be worth your while to give Lee a call and get that straightened out. I would bet that's the problem.
    i have no doubt after watching the vid and hearing what you have to say and setting up rifle dies in the past that the video is correct and the printed instructions with the dies are wrong.

im starting to see why my buddy that got me into reloading swears by rcbs...

(Allegheny County)

i have no crimp as stated above.

its either the case mouth isnt open far enough like you and others have said or now possibly also the seating die being setup impropperly due to lee saying to set the seating die without a case in the written instructions that came with their dies (which i followed completely) and then showing a video on their site stating to use a sized case to setup the die.
    From those pics you posted you definately have something adjusted to far, if the dies were not the right size the bullet would get stuck and you would'nt get it out.

When you set the bullet before seating does it sit upright or want to roll sideways? Or do you have to hold it in place and guide it into the die?

Plus you should use the Lee factory crimp die in your final stage, that's a great die and will not cause any bulging no matter how you adjust it. I have one in 9mm, 40/10mm and 45 and use it with my dillon 650.

(Lawrence County)

If you are at .419 you are crimping into the bullet just a tad. The bullet is .400. The casing thickness is about .010 at each end. Just about .421-.422 is neutral on my .40's.

Your dies aren't bad. Back that die out until you can see that the flare is not being taken out. The wind her in until you get .422 and I'd try that. Do it on dummy rounds with no powder so you can see how they feed.

I also start my OAL long with dummy rounds and then work them down slowly until you can walk them in from the mag and not be able to stall them on the ramp no matter how hard you try. Of course, you may have to adjust powder charges for this as seating depth can increase or decrease pressure.

Lycanbackonthejobthrope
    Last edited by Lycanthrope; January 26th, 2010 at 12:02 AM. Reason: spelling

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Berks County)

im starting to see why my buddy that got me into reloading swears by rcbs...
    I had the exact same problem reloading .30 carbine with RCBS dies. First 4 or 5 were bulged just like yours until I stopped what I was doing, reread the instructions and set the die properly. I also now crimp as a separate step like Lycanthrope and others have mentioned....no problems since.

This will be your best friend.

Welcome to the wonderful world of reloading.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    When you set the bullet before seating does it sit upright or want to roll sideways? Or do you have to hold it in place and guide it into the die?
    it seems to cock sideways so i have to hold it to try to keep it straight

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    Plus you should use the Lee factory crimp die in your final stage, that's a great die and will not cause any bulging no matter how you adjust it.
    as i stated above i have one on the way and also use one for my .223. i refuse to use the built in crimp on the seating die because i could never get it adjusted right.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    If you are at .419 you are crimping into the bullet just a tad. The bullet is .400. The casing thickness is about .010 at each end. Just about .421-.422 is neutral on my .40's.
    i dont think im crimping at all and if i am its unintentional from having the die setup wrong because of the written instructions not mentioning using a casing to set the die. also when i seat a bullet i would get a thin copper shaving on almost every one like the casing wasnt big enogh for the bullet. so im thinking it may be a combination of the expander die not being set far enough and the seating die being set too far. would you agree?

Your dies aren't bad. Back that die out until you can see that the flare is not being taken out. The wind her in until you get .422 and I'd try that. Do it on dummy rounds with no powder so you can see how they feed.
    i'll give it a shot as soon as i get more bullet tips. from the measurements i gave you wouldnt think i'd have a problem shooting what i've loaded so far tho right? besides the 4 ribbed rds obviously. the others show no ribs or bulges and all measurements are fine according to reloading manuals.

I also start my OAL long with dummy rounds and then work them down slowly until you can walk them in from the mag and not be able to stall them on the ramp no matter how hard you try. Of course, you may have to adjust powder charges for this as seating depth can increase or decrease pressure.

Lycanbackonthejobthrope
    so being longer than max recomended C.O.L isnt going to cause a catastrophe with a handgun? i knew you could load longer with rifles but was unsure with pistols.

these rounds are for a glock 20 10mm btw

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    I had the exact same problem reloading .30 carbine with RCBS dies. First 4 or 5 were bulged just like yours until I stopped what I was doing, reread the instructions and set the die properly. I also now crimp as a separate step like Lycanthrope and others have mentioned....no problems since.

This will be your best friend.

Welcome to the wonderful world of reloading.
    Agree, and as I said before the Lee carbide factory crimp die is the best crimp die I used, it sizes the case after it's crimped and is impossible to buckle.

(Allegheny County)

it seems to cock sideways so i have to hold it to try to keep it straight

There's your problem then, get the case mouth opened up just enough so the bullet sits without canting or rolling over, then adjust your seater a little at a time til you get your correct OAL.

And get that Lee carbide factory crimp die, you'll thank me later, and they are not expensive.

so being longer than max recomended C.O.L isnt going to cause a catastrophe with a handgun? i knew you could load longer with rifles but was unsure with pistols.

these rounds are for a glock 20 10mm btw
    I would'nt go longer than max OAL, this may cause reliability issues, as with being to short will also cause reliability issues as well as adding more case pressure.
    Last edited by arjohnson; January 26th, 2010 at 12:34 AM.

(Lawrence County)

If you are shaving the copper on seating you are not belling enough. Period. The bullet should sit in the casing without you holding it.

Die instructions are just a place to start. The calipers don't lie. Use them. Measure your bullet diameter and then the casing thickness. Add them up. Anything under that figure IS crimping into the bullet.

You should be able to shoot the one's you have without issue.

Loading longer in rifles.....up against the lands can increase pressure in rifles. In most auto pistols you can load mag length and not touch the the lands and pressure is typically less than the shorter factory offerings. Loading short with fast powders like Clays can cause problems.

One of the best tricks of reloading is tailoring OAL to what your gun likes. You can exponentially increase reliability this way. Of course, you have a Glock......

Lycankeepaskingthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

You should be able to shoot the one's you have without issue.

Lycankeepaskingthrope
    I would'nt shoot them if they are not properly crimped, bullet setback=trouble.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast