Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: 9mm AR?

(Centre County)

Default 9mm AR?

So I've spend the better part of last year wondering what to get with $$$ from Uncle Sam, and I think I narrowed it down to 2 possibilities.
    One is new Beretta 92A1(basicaly, its an combination of good from both 92F/S, and 90-two put in to one. New for 2010), and other possibility is 9mm AR.
    Beretta has been around for bunch of years, I had 92, and have 96. There are not much mysteries. I know what they are, how they are.

9mm AR in other hand, is something of new concept to me.
    My trusted gunsmith have one for sale, and I'm really interested in as for both range toy for me and my 12y/o niece, and also as viable homedefence weapon.

Its built on now pretty much defunct Anvilarm's lower, and I didn't look in details, but given the fact it uses modified Uzi mag, I imagin its "Colt Style"(Its NOT Colt. I know that. If its Colt 9mm AR, would not be a price he is asking for it) conversion made by RRA.

My main concern with 9mm AR are that I hear some of them just don't run all that reliably.
    According to AR15.com, about 25-30% of the time the Rock River Arms setup requires a little "Tweaking" to get it running properly. Being that it was built/owned by gunsmith, I'd imagin this would not be an issue, however.

My other concern is with availability of magazines.
    I know Olyimpic style 9mm AR uses old Sten magazine, and they were cheap and readily available(i think last time i saw one was in area of $5 each).
    I know centuryarms sells Uzi 32rds mag for around $12 or $13 each, but not sure if its IMI made or where/who ever Century gets their crap from.

Even if I can secure enough mags cheap, it still needs to be modified, and I'm not sure if thats something avg shooter without much of experience can do(I understand that new unmodded mag would require a new release notch needs to be cut out from mag body).
    Or if I'm stuck buying already converted Uzi mag from RRA(which is rather expensive at around $37ea)?
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Delaware County)

Default Re: 9mm AR?

If I am not mistaken, the AR pistol caliber mags from Olympic used a modified Sten or Uzi mag and welded another metal block to the mag so the mag would sit well within the mag well. Functional but not cool.
    The Rock River 9mm AR that I am familiar with uses a adapter block inside the mag well to adapt the AR mag well to the same size and alignment as as to fit Colt 9mm AR type mags. Those Colt 9mm mags are in the $50 range unless you use less expensive mags from Cproducts. I would vote that way.

9mm Stainless Steel Magazine
    [240-0]$17.99
    Click to enlarge
    32 round stainless steel 9mm magazine with stainless steel spring, black or orange follower, black teflon coating.

If purchasing a 9mm magazine for use in a Rock River Rifle, you will need to adjust the magazine block .015-.020 lower to function properly in this platform. >

PLEASE NOTE: C PRODUCTS RETURN POLICY: WE WILL ONLY REPLACE DEFECTIVE MAGAZINES AT NO CHARGE FOR THE LIFE OF THE PRODUCT

(Berks County)

A 9mm AR is a good idea. It allows you to train, and it is a good defensive weapon to have around. 9mm ammo is not that hard to come across even right now and the rifle itself is good out to 100 yards. The rifle I used runs reliably and shoots every goddamn type of ammo that it is fed. With this model, I am not sure though.

I am not sure about the Uzi lower. My cousin has one that is a colt and it takes a 9mm AR magazine. What is he asking for in regards to price? That will be the make or break point
    "A government big enough to give you everything you have, is also big enough to take it all away.
    Gerald Ford.

Happiness is 5,000 rounds of match ammo.

(Allegheny County)

I have a 9mm and it's a great shooting gun, it's a CMMG and is based off the Colt system. As for relibilty, mine is very reliable with factory ammo, I do get an occasional malfunfunction with reloads, but I beleive it's cause they are a little on the soft side.

The main thing is good quality mags, uzi mags work if cut properly, but fit a little sloppy in the magwell. They also will not hold the bolt open on the last round.

I would reccomend using metalform mags, which were the original supplier of mags for the Colts. You can get them dirrectly from metalform or Spikes tactical, which is where I get mine, they are about 42.00 each, but worth the price, and they do hold the bolt open on the last round.

You could also try the CProducts mags which are cheaper, me personally I have had bad luck with them but lots of people have no problems with them.

If you really like it I would not hesitate to get it, they are fun guns to shoot, very reliable and would make a good gun for HD.