Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default bringing gun from IL to PA

My grandfather had a shotgun and five-shooter pistol that probably has not been shot in 40 years. I have no idea if the guns were ever registered, but want to bring them from Illinois (where they are now) to Pennsylvania (where I live.) I do not know what the laws are in terms of transporting guns (probably 60 years or more) this old across state boundaries. Any ideas on how to do everything legally is greatly appreciated. I want to start hunting and these will be first guns I've owned and I just want to do it all the right way. Thanks for your advice.

David.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: bringing gun from IL to PA

Assuming many things here. but if these were an inheritance, I'm sure all you need to do is follow standard federal rules and bring them home. unloaded,cased

Otherwise you need to have them shipped to a local FFL and transfer them to you.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Jefferson County)

Unless grandfather passed away and left you the guns in a will - they will have to be shipped to a FFL in PA to be transferred to you.

ALL interstate transfers, except those by bequest or intestate succession(that means someone has to die and leave it to you via a will or lawful inherited rights), of handguns have to be through a FFL in the receiving party's homestate. Long guns can be transferred in any state, barring state and local laws.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by dmaz2010 View Post
    My grandfather had a shotgun and five-shooter pistol that probably has not been shot in 40 years. I have no idea if the guns were ever registered, but want to bring them from Illinois (where they are now) to Pennsylvania (where I live.) I do not know what the laws are in terms of transporting guns (probably 60 years or more) this old across state boundaries. Any ideas on how to do everything legally is greatly appreciated. I want to start hunting and these will be first guns I've owned and I just want to do it all the right way. Thanks for your advice.

David.
    Welcome to the Forum.

1. There is no gun registration in PA, you don't need to register them in PA

2. If these were given to you by your Grandfather, Grandmother, Mom, Dad or sibling, you can bring them back yourself, as long as they are unloaded, to PA with you from IL. You don't need anything to do this, they just need to be unloaded and secured in the trunk or someplace you have no close access to them.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Unless grandfather passed away and left you the guns in a will - they will have to be shipped to a FFL in PA to be transferred to you.

ALL interstate transfers, except those by bequest or intestate succession(that means someone has to die and leave it to you via a will or lawful inherited rights), of handguns have to be through a FFL in the receiving party's homestate. Long guns can be transferred in any state, barring state and local laws.

Just to amplify what knight0334 said, he meant that longarms still require an FFL's involvement but, unlike handguns, it can be an FFL in any state - not necessarily the recipient's home state.

Without an FFL involvement, your bringing firearms into PA would be a violation of Federal law:

18 USC § 922. Unlawful acts
    (a) It shall be unlawful—
    (3) for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, the State where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State, except that this paragraph (A) shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State, (B) shall not apply to the transportation or receipt of a firearm obtained in conformity with subsection (b)(3) of this section, and (C) shall not apply to the transportation of any firearm acquired in any State prior to the effective date of this chapter;
    IANAL

OK that's interesting.

So, if my Dad, who lives in VA, wants to gift me a handgun, does he send it to the PA FFL, and then do I demand the FFL not put the transfer in PA's gun registry under the gift exception?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ehidle View Post
    OK that's interesting.

So, if my Dad, who lives in VA, wants to gift me a handgun, does he send it to the PA FFL, and then do I demand the FFL not put the transfer in PA's gun registry under the gift exception?
    No - because the FFL is required to submit to PSP the state form per 18 Pa CSA 6111 regardless of source.

The exemption for parent's gift to children would, if both are PA residents, bypass the FFL and hence the records.

Since this is an interstate handgun transfer it must go through a PA FFL. It would be a violation of 18 USC 922(a)(5) for your father to give you the handgun and violation for you under 18 USC 922(a)(3) to bring it into or receive it in Pa without an FFL.
    Last edited by tl_3237; January 26th, 2010 at 12:27 AM.
    IANAL

(York County)

To avoid starting my own thread, but to make sure I've got it straight....

My uncle is a FFL and dealer in Florida.

1. If I purchase a handgun from him, he has to ship it to a PA FFL for me to receive it, correct?

2. And if it's a face to face transaction, he has to meet me at a PA FFL for the transaction, correct?

3. What if I purchase a handgun from him when I'm visiting him down in Florida?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by 15Truckman View Post
    To avoid starting my own thread, but to make sure I've got it straight....

My uncle is a FFL and dealer in Florida.

1. If I purchase a handgun from him, he has to ship it to a PA FFL for me to receive it, correct?

2. And if it's a face to face transaction, he has to meet me at a PA FFL for the transaction, correct?

3. What if I purchase a handgun from him when I'm visiting him down in Florida?
    1. Yes
    2. The transfer of possession to YOU must be from a PA FFL.
    3. That would put him in violation of Federal Law 18 USC 922(b)(3) and you in violation of 18 USC 922(a)(3) when you bring it back to Pa.
    Last edited by tl_3237; February 16th, 2010 at 01:57 PM. Reason: sp
    IANAL

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    1. Yes
    2. The transfer of possession to YOU must be from a PA FFL.
    3. That would put him in violation of Federal Law 18 USC 922(b)(3) and you in violation of 18 USC 922(a)(3) when you bring it back to Pa.
    Thanks. That's what I was thinking, just needed confirmation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast