Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Grove City, Pennsylvania
    (Mercer County)
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,242
    Rep Power
    430782

    Default My First Trip To Cabela's (West Virginia); Odd Carry Info in WV

    Went to the one near Wheeling, WV. I took the two crumb crunchers so they could see all the dead animals.

    Really cool store. Huge selection of stuff. Prices weren't that great, though.

    Saw the signs on the door about checking firearms for service, but not applying to CC/OC.

    All the black guns were behind the counter...which kinda stunk. But, in their defense, I did see some moron drop a new rifle that he was trying to get off the rack on the sales floor. Egads.

    The handgun counter was busy. I was checking out the new stuff...right next to two women buying a bi-tone XD. The guy behind the counter explained what was in the box...the gun, the manual, and two clips. Ugh.


    All in all, it was a cool store. Good place to visit. Great place to blow money if you aren't looking for deals and have gobs of cash to unload.


    ---------------------------


    On a side note, I checked out the WV laws on reciprocity and carry. I found the info from the Attorney General, who noted that WV is an open carry state, but law enforcement believes that only residents get to enjoy that mode of carry. Huh? Non-residents are stuck with CC.

    Here's the text (from October 2009):

    It is important to note that while West Virginia is an “open carry” state the ability to carry openly is deemed by law enforcement to apply only to West Virginia residents. West Virginia law enforcement’s interpretation of “open carry” is that the handgun must be visible from three sides.
    http://www.wvago.gov/pdf/BookletWVFirearmLaws.pdf

    So law enforcement gets to interpret law? It was incredibly odd to me that the AG would put that statement in HIS booklet. You'd think he would say what the law is...not that the LEOs determine what law is. Or that maybe he'd correct the LEOs about the law since he's the top cop.


    To muddy the waters a little, he also has put out a gun brochure which states clearly:

    While West Virginia is an “Open Carry” state, only residents of West Virginia may do so.
    http://www.wvago.gov/pdf/brochures/2009_gunbrochure.pdf

    This brochure is only dated 2009. It lacks the "LEO interpretation" section. Of course, neither states why non-residents can't OC...or how they would determine if an OCer is a resident or not. Do they intend on stopping every OCer to find out?

    Odd.
    Nine out of ten moderators approve of this post!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Martinsburg, West Virginia
    Posts
    642
    Rep Power
    1316727

    Default Re: My First Trip To Cabela's (West Virginia); Odd Carry Info in WV

    WVCDL is already on it. We've spoken to the AG and the state police and are working on getting the problem resolved.

    Here is a link from here (a few weeks ago): http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...eement-wv.html

    Its also been brought up on opencarry.org and wvcdl.org.

    The short version is: There is nothing in WV code that restricts non-residents from open carry. If you, or someone you know, gets harassed or arrested for non-resident open carry please let someone from WVCDL know.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
    (Lehigh County)
    Posts
    2,539
    Rep Power
    12794706

    Default Re: My First Trip To Cabela's (West Virginia); Odd Carry Info in WV

    Cabelas' prices are high because they always have these 20% to 30% coupon specials in the mail or on e-mail... plus, they give you 1% to 2% back on credit card purchases when you use their card... so after a few months of "normal living" and buying gas, groceries, and other non-Cabelas stuff with your credit card, suddenly you've got another $50 to $100 of "free stuff" when you go to their store.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Smithville, Pennsylvania
    (Lehigh County)
    Age
    74
    Posts
    983
    Rep Power
    250638

    Default Re: My First Trip To Cabela's (West Virginia); Odd Carry Info in WV

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kayland View Post
    Cabelas' prices are high because they always have these 20% to 30% coupon specials in the mail or on e-mail... plus, they give you 1% to 2% back on credit card purchases when you use their card... so after a few months of "normal living" and buying gas, groceries, and other non-Cabelas stuff with your credit card, suddenly you've got another $50 to $100 of "free stuff" when you go to their store.[
    I have much better cards for buying the bolded. 5% for wireless service; 2% for groceries, restraunts and drugs; 3% on gas; 1% on everything else. These cards hve no fee and the rewards are cash back by check or applied directly to my balance. Just saying there are much better cards available. I only use my Cabela's card at Cabela's where you get 3 points on the dollar.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Franklin, Pennsylvania
    (Venango County)
    Posts
    3,918
    Rep Power
    15878964

    Default Re: My First Trip To Cabela's (West Virginia); Odd Carry Info in WV

    Quote Originally Posted by WVneighbor View Post
    WVCDL is already on it. We've spoken to the AG and the state police and are working on getting the problem resolved.

    Here is a link from here (a few weeks ago): http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...eement-wv.html

    Its also been brought up on opencarry.org and wvcdl.org.

    The short version is: There is nothing in WV code that restricts non-residents from open carry. If you, or someone you know, gets harassed or arrested for non-resident open carry please let someone from WVCDL know.
    Does interpreting a law to apply differently to a resident of a state vs. a non-resident of another state, considering both are US citizens violate a Federal ruling/law/concept? Definitely sounds discriminatory to me. (Along the lines of not recognizing another state's drivers licenses.)

    Or, we do not stop cars with Pa. plates in Pa. because they have a right to be secure in their persons, but WVa tags will get stopped every 10 miles if necessary. But it is done unofficially because there is no law against it, our Troopers just decided to take it upon themselves to do it.

    In this light, I think even the Staties there could see the incongruency with the Constitution / General Laws.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
    (Lehigh County)
    Posts
    2,539
    Rep Power
    12794706

    Default Re: My First Trip To Cabela's (West Virginia); Odd Carry Info in WV

    Quote Originally Posted by 1iarrowking View Post
    I have much better cards for buying the bolded. 5% for wireless service; 2% for groceries, restraunts and drugs; 3% on gas; 1% on everything else. These cards hve no fee and the rewards are cash back by check or applied directly to my balance. Just saying there are much better cards available. I only use my Cabela's card at Cabela's where you get 3 points on the dollar.
    Yeah, I went through that phase where I'd use Discover for one thing, my Major League Baseball Mastercard for another, and my Visa for yet another... after awhile, I just decided to simplify things and keep one card... if I occasionally lose a few cents buying a tank of gas with one card over another, it's worth it to me not having to keep track of three or four credit cards. And I invariably spend money at Cabelas, so it's a nice surprise to find out that those 6 boxes of ammo are actually free due to credit card accumulations.

    As far as "no fees", well... who uses a credit card that has a yearly fee?
    Last edited by Robert Kayland; January 25th, 2010 at 05:18 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Grove City, Pennsylvania
    (Mercer County)
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,242
    Rep Power
    430782

    Default Re: My First Trip To Cabela's (West Virginia); Odd Carry Info in WV

    Quote Originally Posted by WVneighbor View Post
    WVCDL is already on it. We've spoken to the AG and the state police and are working on getting the problem resolved.

    Here is a link from here (a few weeks ago): http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...eement-wv.html

    Thanks for the refresher. I thought I saw it somewhere on here before...

    Oh, well. My post was a two-parter...one for the weird OC rules and one for the Cabela's experience.


    I mean, the dude behind the counter said "clips" for goodness sake!
    Nine out of ten moderators approve of this post!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Martinsburg, West Virginia
    Posts
    642
    Rep Power
    1316727

    Default Re: My First Trip To Cabela's (West Virginia); Odd Carry Info in WV

    Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    Does interpreting a law to apply differently to a resident of a state vs. a non-resident of another state, considering both are US citizens violate a Federal ruling/law/concept? Definitely sounds discriminatory to me. (Along the lines of not recognizing another state's drivers licenses.)

    Or, we do not stop cars with Pa. plates in Pa. because they have a right to be secure in their persons, but WVa tags will get stopped every 10 miles if necessary. But it is done unofficially because there is no law against it, our Troopers just decided to take it upon themselves to do it.

    In this light, I think even the Staties there could see the incongruency with the Constitution / General Laws.
    Just to be clear, it is the State Police that has "interpreted" the law to mean OC is only legal for a resident. There has been no court ruling, and the AG himself agrees that state of residence does not matter.

    The WVCDL Vice-President investigated this. He called the AG's office, and the WVSP Legal division. His response in the WVCDL thread concerning this topic:

    Kmorgan: "The WVSP's legal division has been quite responsive. They can find neither anyone who reviewed the AG's pamphlet, nor anyone who believes that the law should be interpreted to exclude non-residents.

    So now we bounce back to the AG's office, and hopefully put an end to the finger-pointing on this misinformation.

    I will update as soon as I have more information."

    Here is the thread link if you are interested in reading the AG's explanation: http://forums.wvcdl.org/phpBB3/viewt...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

    There is a new pamphlet being made, we are hoping to get the information corrected before it goes to press. Once we get it cleared up I'm confident the web site will be updated as well.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Similar Threads

  1. Is a trip to Cabela's worth while?
    By Tequila Sunrise in forum General
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: June 13th, 2009, 07:20 PM
  2. Friday 4-10-09 Cabela's Trip?
    By Fr0sty in forum General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 10th, 2009, 02:41 AM
  3. Ohio & West Virginia Carry
    By indianjack in forum General
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: February 17th, 2009, 01:21 AM
  4. west virginia carry
    By idpasharpshooter in forum General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: June 13th, 2008, 05:32 PM
  5. Is anyone familiar with West Virginia Carry?
    By djturnz in forum General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 17th, 2008, 04:25 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops