Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Problem loading Mossberg

Just pulled my 500 Moss out of the box, read the manual, tried to load it, and could only get 2 rounds into the magazine. I am using 3" shells so it should accept 4 of them into the mag + 1 chambered. Any idea why this would happen? (I know I could call the manufacturer, but this is more enjoyable and I don't have to sit on hold waiting for help.)
    Try to exclude the possibility of suffering which the order of nature and the existence of free-wills involve, and you find that you have excluded life itself. - C.S. Lewis

Without the 2nd amendment, there would be no 1st amendment.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Problem loading Mossberg

Check to make sure it doesn't have a plug in the magazine tube.

For hunting purposes, some states, like PA.....only allow you to have three rounds loaded (one in the chamber, two in the tube) and a one piece plug to make it impossible to load any more.

For non-hunting purposes, you can remove the plug and load as many as it will take.

Ah-ha. Sounds like that is my problem. Now I just have to figure out how to remove the plug. Thanks Steve-o.
    Try to exclude the possibility of suffering which the order of nature and the existence of free-wills involve, and you find that you have excluded life itself. - C.S. Lewis

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bondslave View Post
    Ah-ha. Sounds like that is my problem. Now I just have to figure out how to remove the plug. Thanks Steve-o.
    Should be as easy as unscrewing the magazine cap at the end of the tube and pulling/dropping the plug out. The Mossbergs that I've owned all had a simple wooden dowel rod as a plug, it just fell out for me.

Twist the screw that holds the front sling and shake the gun up side down, there is a wooden wowel in there may be a couple rubber gromets in there as well to hold in in, but the plug should come out with some shaking, if it goes in the hole and wont come down, push a few shells in and it will push it through.... Remember to put the dowel back in if you plan on hunting.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Thanks for the help guys; I was about to disassemble the entire gun trying to get that thing out. You saved me a lot of hassle. What came out was like you said, a wooden dowel and two rubber o-rings.