Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 91/30

(Washington County)

Default 91/30

I recently purchased a 91/30 from dunhams and it seems to be a pretty good shooter (I was holding a group smaller than a silver dollar @ 50 yards about 4 inches high and 4 inches to the right of the bullseye) and I was interrested in scoping it, Any recomendations on scope mounts? Pretty sure that I dont want a scout mount. The ones from rocksolidind.com look pretty decent and they also have the "bent bolt" bolt bodies. I also saw that kalinkaoptics has some nice looking stuff, anyone with experience with them?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: 91/30

You can do it. I recommend you stay away from the eBay style scope mounts as they tend to come loose with the recoil. There was a guy (forgot the contact) who makes a good scope mount that replaces the front sight.

If you do go that route you're also going to need to get a scope with a longer eye relief as you won't be able to get up as close to the scope as you with other rifles due to the position/mounting location of the scope. You;re also going to need one that can hold a zero with the recoil.

You might end up finding that to do this properly it will cost you as much as the gun did if not more.

I' you're comfortable shooting it as is I say keep it as is. Have you considered taking it out to 100yds yet? What ammo are you using?

My M44 hates Bulgarian ammo. It also hates heavy ball. It is all over the place. Using Russian and Czech light ball I can get good groups (for the rifle) My last outing @ 100 yds. put 59/60 on the target with Iron sights. I'd say that is pretty good for what the rifle was meant to be.

Your 91/30 isn't/wasn't really meant to be a marksman gun. If you want to put a bullet through the same hole every time you'll need to buy a different rifle If you just want to have a good time with a reliable shooter that will hit the target every time for cheap then I think you've found a good one.

BTW: you need pics of it. What Country/year/Mfg? Is it all matching? How is the bore?

(Monroe County)

If you really want to know what your 91/30 is really capable of go rent a movie called "enemy at the gates" it is the true life story of Vasily Zaitsev, the famed Soviet Sniper, and a darn good movie too.
    You might also want to get some ideas as to how theyt mount them back in the old days, you might even want to get a lookalike soviet pps-4 scope to keep it "authentic" Have fun ,

nyman

(Centre County)

I have a m44 scoped and with hand loads it has shot many groups under one inch. With a traditional mount you will need a bolt kit for it also.

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    If you really want to know what your 91/30 is really capable of go rent a movie called "enemy at the gates" it is the true life story of Vasily Zaitsev, the famed Soviet Sniper, and a darn good movie too.
    You might also want to get some ideas as to how theyt mount them back in the old days, you might even want to get a lookalike soviet pps-4 scope to keep it "authentic" Have fun ,

nyman
    Zaitsev used a sniper model Mosin. IIRC it was the "PU". Same basic model, but much more accurate and far stricter quality control.

The 1891/30 is meant to shoot "minute of German". It didn't need to be any more accurate. However I find I can consistently hit a 11" x 11" target from 100 yards with my 1938 Tula m91/30 with just the iron sights using Russian surplus ammo (147 grain steel core). At my last outing, 70% of my shots were in the black!

My advice is, don't bother with the scope. It's more challenging and more fun to shoot with iron sights with a 91/30.

Oh, and if it's shooting high and to the right consistently, it means it was sighted in with the bayonet attached. Attach the bayonet and it will likely shoot dead on.

(Washington County)

Yeah, without the bayonet they shoot high and to the left, IIRC. There is a mount out there (a couple, actually) that erplace the rear leaf site.

Actually, there is a better way, but it takes the removal of the whole rear sight block and then a really good set of rings to attach to a 3/8 dovetail (which is how the rear block mounts) Gets you a much better cheek weld.

Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian View Post
    Oh, and if it's shooting high and to the right consistently, it means it was sighted in with the bayonet attached. Attach the bayonet and it will likely shoot dead on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    Yeah, without the bayonet they shoot high and to the left, IIRC. .
    Ah thats why mine shoots High. Thanks guys.
    I was all in sorts when I took my 91/30(Shooting high)and my Garand (Shooting low) to the range a few weeks ago. The Garand only took a few clicks to bring up, but the Mosin had me perplexed.

yep, add a bayonet and it'll be cool, you can modify the front sight a bit to fix the "4" right"

If you raise the front post height and bend it over a bit you can fix the "high and right," I raised mine about 1/8" and moved it just a tad over and brought it in. Used shrink tube and just placed it over the post about 1/8" taller than the fixed post.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian View Post
    . . . My advice is, don't bother with the scope. It's more challenging and more fun to shoot with iron sights with a 91/30.

+1 for leaving off the scope. It is more fun, more challenging, and ultimately will make you a better shooter without that optical crutch on top of the rifle.

I have eleven Mosin-Nagant, representing Soviet 91-30s, and Finnish 91s, 91-30s, M27s, M28s, and M39s. With many of them I can hit claybirds standing on edge on the 100 yd berm, 3 out of 5 or better if I'm doing my part. The rifles are generally capable, and one of my most accurate Mosins has a sewer pipe for a bore.

Lucas66: Don't scope it. Take your time with it at the range and learn trigger control and breath control and discover just how good a shooter your really are.

Noah

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas66 View Post
    I recently purchased a 91/30 from dunhams and it seems to be a pretty good shooter... and I was interrested in scoping it, Any recomendations on scope mounts?...
    Buy a sniper. The repros are now good enough that they're functional equivalents of originals. The first batch of repro snipers were a disaster, details to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    +1 for leaving off the scope.... Don't scope it. Take your time with it at the range and learn trigger control and breath control and discover just how good a shooter your really are.

Noah
    I'm with Noah, leave it alone. If you really want a first class scoped Mosin, buy one. I included a link below. For what you'll pay for a good PU scope, an original steel mount and a bent bolt body, you'll break even. And that assumes you have a pro install it without any issues for under $100.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info....ts_id/1541?SID

The originals before the imports flooded into the US before 1984-85 were showing their age, this is one of my older examples:

The 91/30s & 91/30 snipers currently on the market are in much better condition.

A few related posts for your consideration:

You really shouldn't have a 91/30, they replicate when left alone. This is the result of one unattended evening:

Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast