Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 91/30

Default Re: 91/30

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    +1 for leaving off the scope. It is more fun, more challenging, and ultimately will make you a better shooter without that optical crutch on top of the rifle.

I have eleven Mosin-Nagant, representing Soviet 91-30s, and Finnish 91s, 91-30s, M27s, M28s, and M39s. With many of them I can hit claybirds standing on edge on the 100 yd berm, 3 out of 5 or better if I'm doing my part. The rifles are generally capable, and one of my most accurate Mosins has a sewer pipe for a bore.

Lucas66: Don't scope it. Take your time with it at the range and learn trigger control and breath control and discover just how good a shooter your really are.

Noah
    I'm going to have to agree with Noah about the scope, at least for now.

As for the point of impact, I had the same problem with my 91/30 at 50 yards. Almost exactly. I switched to Bulgarian surplus (147 gr steel core), and the point of impact changed to almost exactly spot on. YMMV

(Washington County)

I understand the argurments as to why not to scope it, and I may decide not to, but my eyes are far from perfect and I cant help but to feel that I would get much more enjoyment from the weapon if it was scoped.

I'll attempt to post pics....no promises!

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas66 View Post
    I understand the argurments as to why not to scope it, and I may decide not to, but my eyes are far from perfect and I cant help but to feel that I would get much more enjoyment from the weapon if it was scoped.

I'll attempt to post pics....no promises!

Lucas:

My eyes are halfway to 110, and I've been nearsighted all my life. That said, I have a few Finnish Mosins with which I can hit the 16" gong at 440 yds at the club, offhand, using surplus ammo, when I'm doing my part.

I own three scoped rifles; two 22s and a sporterized Swedish Mauser. Everything else still wears irons or receiver sights and I have no trouble with them. It might be partly due to burning up dozens if not hundreds of boxes of 22s as a kid in the 60s, shooting cans and dump rats and whatnot. It helped me qualify Expert with the M16A1 at Parris Island in '72. Point is, there's no substitute for practice, and with a little work and at most a recrown (if necessary) on that cranky Mosin and you'll be GTG.

Best,

Noah

(Washington County)

Since this thread has successfully been hyjacked and I am obviously not going to find any input on the two companies that I asked about originally, Ill go elsewhere to find what I was looking for.

Thanks anyway

(Washington County)

I have to appoligize for the snarky resopnse Noah, but you have made several assumptions over and over and well, I am kinda frustrated. Your eye problem is not the same as mine I have small cataracts in each eye with associated floaters which make it very hard to use iron sites, As far as learning to shoot, I've been behind a .22 from the age of 8 or so and shot match in highschool, although we all need practice some more than others, I am a decent shot. I do not have the resourses or time to spend hours and hours at the range, as I work full time and go to school.

I looking to modify my gun so I can take deer humanely with it. As I have stated previously scoping it is not a forgone conclusion, just an option that I am exploring as I've shot a friends .308 with scope and had no problems with my eyes. So, all of that stated,does anyone have any feedback on kalinka optics or the scope mount from www.rocksolidind.com. I was also looking at the peep from mojo as this seems like it would be an improvment over the stock sights and requires no permenant modification. any feedback on the mojo sight would also be appreciated.

Again,sorry for the snarky response

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123