Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 91/30

(Monroe County)

Default Re: 91/30

Oh yeah, i forgot about the Bayonet, same applies to the M44 and M38 .

And yeah, the scope was a PU , the PPs 4 was a German scope of the same era.

Nyman

(Chester County)

I agree with the previous poster who recommended getting one of the Sniper repros. I bought one last year at the Allentown gunshow and it is a fun shooter that I don't feel guilty about putting a lot of rounds down range with.

(Allegheny County)

I just took my newest 91/30 out for the first time today and it amazes me that with a shinny bore, sharp rifling and slugging in at .309 it took me 40 rounds just to hit the paper at 100. the ground was wet so the Kentucky windage sighting program was not working today. I have to scope it just to get a group at 100, i was tempted to trade it in on some .303 Brit ammo gawd was i shammed with it. my other 91/30s are counter bored with dark bores and very little rifling left but stay in 3" groups at 100. IDK what this one is being all pissy about but she better get her act together if she want to stay in my collection
    I needs the following... .303 ammo, scrap steel, and and cheap SKS. please LMK

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Oh yeah, i forgot about the Bayonet, same applies to the M44 and M38 .

And yeah, the scope was a PU , the PPs 4 was a German scope of the same era.

Nyman

At the risk of sounding pedantic, the M1938 doesn't have or use a bayonet.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    At the risk of sounding pedantic, the M1938 doesn't have or use a bayonet.
    I have seen a Polish 1938 with a bayonet, back in about 1993-4

Nyman

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by 556slinger View Post
    I just took my newest 91/30 out for the first time today and it amazes me that with a shinny bore, sharp rifling and slugging in at .309 it took me 40 rounds just to hit the paper at 100. the ground was wet so the Kentucky windage sighting program was not working today. I have to scope it just to get a group at 100, i was tempted to trade it in on some .303 Brit ammo gawd was i shammed with it. my other 91/30s are counter bored with dark bores and very little rifling left but stay in 3" groups at 100. IDK what this one is being all pissy about but she better get her act together if she want to stay in my collection
    If you spend $$$ on a scope and mount and the 'smithing to do it, and then the rifle still patterns instead of grouping, you're out a bunch of $$$ that you may not recoup if you decide to dump the rifle. I'd suggest digging deeper into some accuracy fundamentals that are easy fixes:

Are the trigger guard screws tight without the trigger guard screw bosses contacting the receiver? Try putting some wood veneer or very thin plastic (like strips cut from those gosh-awful plastic blister packaging things that are so effing hard to open) in the stock under the chamber area and beneath the rear tang so as to prevent the receiver and TG from touching when assembled and the screws are tight. Always tighten the front screw first.

Are the sights tight without any play or wobble?

HTH,

Noah

So why exactly does it shoot high and to the right without the bayonet? Is it part of the front sight? Or is it something else?

Quote Originally Posted by indianjack View Post
    So why exactly does it shoot high and to the right without the bayonet? Is it part of the front sight? Or is it something else?
    The added mass on the end of the muzzle bends the barrel (temporarily) down, changing the point of impact. The school of thought posits the Soviets sighted the rifle in with the bayonet attached. Removing or folding back the bayonet causes the barrel to return to it's original position, and changing the point of impact.

I'm still waiting to hear the explanation for the same anomaly on the M1938 carbine.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Monroe County)

The Bayo on the carbine has nothing to do with aiming/accuracy , it has to do with what a bvayonet was meant for, charging a trench or killing the enemy. Its a force multiplier , if you are out of ammo you still has a short range weapon.

nyman

(Washington County)

SOUP, its a 1938 tula, Looks like the numbers match.....the barrel looks good, I would not say shiny but the rifling is intact and actually looks good. it shoots good, like I said holding a group about the size of a silver dollar at about 50 yrds. didnt take it out to 100 because we were running out of daylight, plan to soon. I was shooting olympic reloads 180 grain. and bear 203 grain softpoints, did not seem to be too much difference between the two, the olympic round may have held a little tighter, or I might have just been fatigued by the time I got to the bear rounds. I'll find out next time ...no more olympic rounds left!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast