Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Question starting an online gun store

I'm wondering what the general feeling is about buying guns online. I have thought about starting my own business but not sure if it will make money or not.I'm just tired of my local gun shops not having what I'm looking for. What's the thought?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: starting an online gun store

Gun owners are cheap bastards. They want everything for nothing, and will complain even if they get what they want.

Seriously though, if someone else sells the same firearm for $1 less than you, and someone here posted asking about your shop, ten people would chime in to say how you could get it for a dollar less from the other site. Even if your shipping were free, and the other place charged $75 to ship, they would STILL suggest the place that's "$1 less."

I don't have any issue ordering guns online, but I've never done so with the exception of my AR kit. Usually, the local shops are pretty close in price after factoring in shipping and transfer fees.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Monroe County)

I could be wrong in my thinking, but unless you come up with something creative the online gun market is probably already dominated. It's like trying to be Bersa and making a polymer duty pistol.. which they are, which probably won't do well.. (flame suit activate)
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Lancaster County)

Consider competing with "Gunbroker, Auctionarms & Gunsamerica". Big established sites. I bought a gun on gunbroker that I couldn't physicaly see. The seller didn't have much of a discription. That's just me in one transaction. Everyone is different. Nothing wrong with buying or selling guns on line. Sooner to have tried & failed than never to have tried at all. Good luck.

(Lancaster County)

I wish you the best of luck my friend and if you do start one let me know. (Especially if you give forum member discounts!) But I try to support most local business's as much as possible, I am a huge fan of mom and pop shops! A local yocal with an online firearms business would be cool IMHO. Good luck!
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Allegheny County)

My first thought is where are you going to come up with the money for your initial inventory? I would think even a modest online shop would need $100K worth of guns. If you borrow the money at current rates, I don't think you'll make any profit unless you can turn your inventory over rather quickly.

IMHO, gun shops primarily stay in business because of the used gun market. Think about it, you want to trade your current gun in on another, or sell it to the store, from my experience they will offer you half or less of it's current value. They then throw it in the case a week later at current value and gross 100% on their investment.
    Toujours prêt

(Berks County)

SharpShooter,

There already is a huge Online dealer in Lancaster. Most of their sales are done online but they have a retail store too.

(Lancaster County)

I did it for about 6 years. I mainly did online selling and buying for others locally. There really isn't much money in firearms unless you can do it in a large quantity. On average most places only make $50-$100/firearm, some even less. Most of the money is actually made on accessories and ammo. Some of the markups from wholesale are well over 300% on those items. I never kept an inventory just ordered things for people. I also did a fair amount of gunsmithing, sight intallations, trigger work etc which was another money maker.

If you want to do it it's not that difficult.
    1st, set up a business, a LLC or sole propriatorship, or whatever suits your needs.

2nd get your FFL, wasn't really all that hard. More paperwork than anything else. $200 Took only a few months. Biggest issue with FFL and the feds was the local zoning code for a home business. Some townships don't really care while others over regulate it. The ATF agent will actually call your local municipality and confirm that you can have this business. If they say no, the process is over. So that may be a hurdle for you depending where you live. I actually gave up my FFL due to moving into a different area which zoning would have been an issue.

3rd get all your ducks in a row with the state and county as far as licensing for a dealer. This is done at the county courthouse usually throught the sheriff's department. This is what sets you up with PICS and state police etc. Again, more paperwork.

Now you have a business. Now make sure that you pay your taxes. Biggest thing is completing the paperwork properly and accurately as far as 4473s, I was never audited in the 6 years I did this but I have known other dealers who have lost FFLs over improper paperwork. That's about it. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by metloaf; February 16th, 2010 at 10:12 AM.